Manually adjusting shocks: F355, 550, 456, Mondial T | FerrariChat

Manually adjusting shocks: F355, 550, 456, Mondial T

Discussion in 'Tracking & Driver Education' started by rexrcr, Sep 19, 2013.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. rexrcr

rexrcr Formula 3

Nov 27, 2002
    Kalamazoo, MI
    Full Name:
    Rob Schermerhorn
    This likely applies mostly to the F355 crowd (due to popularity) but technically also applies to the 550, 456 and Mondial T as the shocks have the same active damping system....

I have a number of customers that have disabled the OE Ferrari/ Bilstein active damping system by at the least removing the red-top solenoid motors (and in some cases the computer, wiring, etc.) and manually adjusting the shocks by turning the little gear on the end of the shock rod. The following is my advice when choosing this tuning method:

• Don't do it

Why?

Primarily because of the nature of the system design, the fact that it's a little motor turning the damping control gear, that the system must be responsive in real-time or it's worthless, the gear rotation from full hard to full soft is less than 90°. To eyeball a setting and lock in place is then exceptionally difficult to match left and right side dampers.

The nature of the Bilstein design is that the gear attaches to a 4mm shaft concentric with the 14mm shock rod, turning a valve of sorts that controls "bleed" or hydraulic fluid bypassing the shim stack on the main shock piston. When set wide open a huge amount of flow is allowed past the main shim stack, hence the damper has a huge HUGE range of damping force available.

If you glance at the WSM, it has a simplified graphic display of damping logic, degrees rotation of the gear vs. road speed. The system also uses other inputs to determine gear position so ultimately the damping program logic graphically would look like a 3-D carpet of sorts akin to an ECU program. You'll notice that the gear never rotates to 90° and never to 0°.

I would say that due to the limiting factors of either hardware (sensors/ actuators) or software or both is the reason the damper is never full soft or full hard. Hence Ferrari specifies that Bilstein builds shocks that if run full hard (no bleed) the suspension is over-damped.

What does this mean?

If you run your suspension over damped it takes longer for the tire to recover from either a sudden input like a bump or a slower input like braking/ turning into a corner or accelerating out of a corner. If the tire's slow to recover simplistically stated it's spending too much time up in the air (literally or figuratively), you're missing out on maximizing contact patch time on the tarmac!

What to do?

Re-engage the active damping system. If you have a F355 Challenge make certain your shock ECU is the updated version distributed in 1997 iirc.

If you desire a change in damping this can be accomplished with a re-valve. Sure it's likely that the ECU can be altered but I don't know of anyone who's reverse engineered and reprogrammed....

If you want to just test what more damping will do then of course manually lock the adjuster and test, but know that under certain situations on track that damper setting may actually be slowing your lap times.

This is an exceptionally well thought out design, arguably state of the art in the 90's.

As an aside I'm working with Bilstein to adapt a manual control that will allow much greater resolution in the adjuster mechanism but it's a ways out before it will be available.

Best,
    Rob

2. Rothbauer_Racing

Rothbauer_Racing Formula Junior

Jan 11, 2007
    Planet Earth
    Full Name:
    Röthbauer Racing GmbH
    Rob,

Great write up! Let's talk about F355 OEM Shocks vs. F355 Challenge. From what I think I know the F355 Challenge uses a shorter shock tube/shaft? Not sure if it's the body tube or the shaft rod that is shorter on the Challenge car due to it's lowered race suspension.

If a stock F355 is lowered as per F355 Challenge the valving (shim stack) location is at a different location? It would now be lower down the shock tube. When the car gets really low during hard track turns, does the fluid at the bottom act any different then the middle location? Fluid at the top would be less disturbed as well as the middle upper section, would this affect performance as it's mostly working down low?

Ciao,

SRR

3. rexrcr

rexrcr Formula 3

Nov 27, 2002
    Kalamazoo, MI
    Full Name:
    Rob Schermerhorn
    No, same size shock rod and tube, road car damper bolts right in place of Challenge and visa-versa. We recently had a F355C system in with one road car shock substituted likely during crash repair.

The internal valving is decidedly different.

The lower ride height on F355 Challenge is accomplished by a shorter spring package and location of the lower spring mount.

Technically yes this is true.
    Good question. The fluid above vs. below only cares about the pressure differential, this is how a shock "creates" force, purely pressure difference above vs. below the main piston; where the piston is does not matter unless the shock has a physical application problem like the body or shaft is too long or something that would cause the piston to crash into the bottom of the damper tube. But this is also what the bump rubber is for, assuming the physical dimensions of the shock are chosen correctly.

Great questions, keep 'em coming!

Best,
    Rob

4. jakermc

jakermc Formula 3
    Owner

Jan 17, 2004
    Palm Beach, FL
    Full Name:
    Rob
    I have a set of the 355 Challenge shocks available for sale if anyone needs them. Just PM with best offer ...

5. DesertDawg

DesertDawg Eight Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 25, 2010
    The Desert
    Full Name:
    DesertDawg
    OK... What is the airspeed velocity of an unladen Swallow?

6. Mitch Alsup

Mitch Alsup F1 Veteran

Nov 4, 2003
    Is that a European Swallow or an African Swallow?

7. vvassallo

vvassallo F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 4, 2006
    Palos Verdes
    Full Name:
    Vince V
    I installed 355 front shocks on my 348 and the only way to adjust them was manually, which I did only when necessary. It is a pain, but it turned out my stock shocks were better. The 355 shocks seemed to be tailored to the 355 chassis (big surprise) but did not, IMO, do much for the 348 chassis. Bottom line, manually adjusting them isn't a big deal. Just don't manhandle them.

8. rexrcr

rexrcr Formula 3

Nov 27, 2002
    Kalamazoo, MI
    Full Name:
    Rob Schermerhorn
    Here's a force vs velocity screen shot, four dampers on full stiff, one set full soft.

Huge range and a great illustration of how powerful an effective bleed circuit can be.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

Best,
    Rob

Sent from my ADR6350 using Tapatalk 2

9. bobzdar

bobzdar F1 Veteran

Sep 22, 2008
    Richmond
    Full Name:
    Pete
    Wouldn't it be fairly simple to lock them in place by just putting the unplugged actuator back on the shock once adjusted?

Those graphs are great, really shows the range of the damping. How quick are the shocks to react? I've always wondered that.

10. gatorgreg

gatorgreg Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 13, 2004
    NAPLES
    #10 gatorgreg, Oct 3, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  11. rexrcr

rexrcr Formula 3

Nov 27, 2002
    Kalamazoo, MI
    Full Name:
    Rob Schermerhorn
    Yes, it is simple but cannot be achieved with an unplugged actuator. You must lock the adjuster with a hose clamp or similar device; I used to use silicone RTV and let set overnight. Internal hydraulic flow will eventually move the adjuster to full soft.

The issue that by defeating the sophisticated active damping system is that you've defeated the sophisticated active damping system that Ferrari and Bilstein engineers spent a ton of development time on; plus active damping is actually outlawed in most racing rule books, so it is a desirable and arguably "unfair advantage" system.

Information I have found states response times of about 30-milliseconds.

And for those wondering about the Corvette vs Ferrari versions of this damping system, GM utilized a much simplified version to reduce cost and Ferrari went with the the whole enchilada using acceleration sensors in addition to just road speed input.

Best,
    Rob

12. rexrcr

rexrcr Formula 3

Nov 27, 2002
    Kalamazoo, MI
    Full Name:
    Rob Schermerhorn
    Thanks Greg!!

13. fatbillybob

fatbillybob Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 10, 2002
    socal
    Rob,

Can anything be said about the range of spring rates the stock system is good for. say up to 50% more or less than the factory spring rates and the shocks work fine? Or... to really take the unfair advantage one has to do a spring or wheel rate change and custom revalve to all work together?

14. rexrcr

rexrcr Formula 3

Nov 27, 2002
    Kalamazoo, MI
    Full Name:
    Rob Schermerhorn
    Hi Carl, good question; the quick answer is "it depends"...
    • What's the application?
    • Is this for competition?
    • How is the car used?
    For a street driven sporting car one can increase rates but I'll not say 50% higher or lower is okay in general. Once running the pertinent platform specifications through my calculator and having dyno data too then perhaps that large of an increase is just fine.

Here's something important to consider; damping philosophy has changed dramatically over the last thirty years, only within the last ten has there been a much more scientific data-driven approach to selecting spring and damping characteristics for both road cars and purpose built race cars.

Prior to about 2000 in my experience most sporting cars were over-damped; it feels great to the driver and often the engineers decided feel of the car outweighed other data. Many Ferraris are overdamped and undersprung compared to the way I specify springs and dampers today.

So for a Ferrari of the '90s you probably can "get away" with a big spring change and a Ferrari of the aughts you probably will degrade the ride quality with a large rate increase without touching the dampers.

You've asked a general question I've given a general answer; ultimately as you know one needs all the chassis data to make a proper selection or be willing to change out and test many different combinations (more expensive method).

For a competition car, yes, you must grind through the data first then tweak the dampers to fit the springs and any other mods like reduction in sprung and unsprung weight.

Best,
    Rob

15. fatbillybob

Consultant Owner

Aug 10, 2002
    socal
    Ah....yes the bottom line. There is no free lunch when you depart from oem. It always takes hard work and testing if you go it on your own. Another great areason for giving Ferrari /bilstien engineers a few kudos.

Interestingly early in my experimentation with manual adjustment of these auto systems I experienced the setting drift you describe. I thought I was nuts. Then thought there was shock damage only to find out from your post above that this is the result of my not understanding the system. LOL! So of course I did what any good hillbilly would do go to fully manual double adjustable motons.

16. rexrcr

rexrcr Formula 3

Nov 27, 2002
    Kalamazoo, MI
    Full Name:
    Rob Schermerhorn
    Did you get that vibration issue sorted?

Sent from my ADR6350 using Tapatalk 2

17. fatbillybob

Consultant Owner

Aug 10, 2002
    socal
    I must have because I don't remember we had a vibration discussion but surely we must have. I do suffer from oldtimer's disease.

18. Rothbauer_Racing

Rothbauer_Racing Formula Junior

Jan 11, 2007
    Planet Earth
    Full Name:
    Röthbauer Racing GmbH
    Rob,

1. How does the Moton Club Sport shocks compare to the OEM 355 Challenge setup with active damping system engaged?

2. Today I see all the fast cars running Ohlins but, I don't see a setup for the F355? Sure it's an outdated car but, similar to the early Porsche GT3 which I think they offer. Not sure on that part. Aside from the Ohlins high price there technology seems very different on the valving when the fluid gets hot it adjust the valving to keep the performance constant, Impressive!

Ciao,

SRR

19. fatbillybob

Consultant Owner

Aug 10, 2002
    socal
    I can't answer your ? but I'm not sure I would buy Motons. AST iirc is the name of the company who now owns them. Ability and customer service is iffy. However there are still many great indy guys like DeltaVee, Performamce shock Inc. etc. who can rebuild them properly. The head guru at Moton Lex carson left and started MCS (motion control systems). To me the departure of Lex was like ripping the heart out of the company in the US. There is something going on there because Lex says he can't/won't touch anything Moton at his new shop. So if you go Moton just be aware that they might not be the Moton that you are thinking of.

20. gatorgreg

gatorgreg Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 13, 2004
    NAPLES
    They way it was explained to me by Rob. Ferrari wanted to create the best handling system for mass production. The springs and shocks are set up for ride comfort. The sway bars are non adjustable for cost. The shock ECU does all the work. Ferrari spent a lot of time fine tuning it but it has to work together. The system is so good it is outlawed in racing today.

21. fatbillybob

Consultant Owner

Aug 10, 2002
    socal
    This system was in the 1995 355 iirc. It is found all the way to current models. Has the dynamic shock system changed in any significant way since 1995 like the F1 shifter has evolved?

22. cwwhk

cwwhk Formula 3

Nov 13, 2003
    Hong Kong, Tokyo
    Full Name:
    Wayne
    Carl:

That's a bit harsh on Moton's current situation. I am still using Moton Motorsport 3 way adjustable dampers albeit now on 997 GT3 Cup cars. They are way better than the OEM Sach's dampers.

When I first started using Motons on 360C I dealt with Jerome Van Gool, the founder of the company I believe. Currently the service from Moton head office is still fine as far as I can tell.

Wayne

23. fatbillybob

Consultant Owner

Aug 10, 2002
    socal
    Hi Wayne,

Hope you are doing well. I'm on Moton's too. I love the things. Mine are older. I'm not trying to be harsh just giving a potential buyer a heads up. At $5K a set and $1k for annual rebuilds whatever brand is purchased future support and proper rebuilding is key. Maybe there is something different with moton out of the USA. Here Lex was the man at moton USA. He seemed to be doing all the heavy lifting at Moton USA and would cut off his right arm to get you what you needed to race. And he did it with zero mistakes and was cordial on the phone. After Lex left, AST was where you went to and I can't remember the exact issue I had but it was not smooth. Perhaps it was early growing pains I don't know. I found someone else to rebuild them. With Moton bankrupt and AST the new owners what does that mean for moton support and parts in the future? I have no clue. So far we seem to be just fine.

AST Suspension purchases Moton Suspension - Vorshlag Motorsports Forum

24. rexrcr

rexrcr Formula 3

Nov 27, 2002
    Kalamazoo, MI
    Full Name:
    Rob Schermerhorn
    You described a severe vibration, above 100mph iirc, and I offered to test your Moton's as you thought perhaps it was suspension related....

25. rexrcr

rexrcr Formula 3

Nov 27, 2002
    Kalamazoo, MI
    Full Name:
    Rob Schermerhorn
    Hi Stanislaus,

"How do they compare?"... For one they (Moton) will not change damping while you drive....

The advantage of changing from the OE Bilstein system to a Moton or other 2-way (independently adjusted bump and rebound) adjustable shock is
    • Designed for user adjustment (vs. computer and solenoid actuator)
    • User serviceable

That's the big advantage.

Similarities:
    • Tunable/ revalvable

So why do guys switch? A shock designed for user serviceability is one reason, another frankly is cachet as dampers are very difficult to understand as to their workings, tuning, how-to, etc and new shinny parts must make the car faster.

There are other performance differences, machining tolerances can allow greater consistency shock-to-shock, detail differences in the design and functionality of the adjuster circuits, packaging, weight. Much of the detail differences effect properties like hysteresis (lag in response, especially while in transition from bump to rebound and visa-versa).

Biggest advantage is serviceability, the OE Bilsteins require a special machine to rebuild/ revalve or the installation of Schrader valves to restore nitrogen pressure.

The one caveat is that they must be valved correctly in the first place so that when making on-the-car adjustments, the change in damping characteristics actually changes the handling and or ride quality. Just ask Rob Lay about how he slowed down his Mazda racecar with shinny new expensive shocks.

Regarding why Ohlins doesn't offer a F355 application I'm sure they'd be happy to custom make a system for you. Most high-end damper manufacturers do just that. If you order Motons from me (or AST or Bilstein MDS) they'll be built to order. Nothing worse than inventory sitting for years until an order comes in...

Regarding Ohlins temperature compensating technology; you'll not benefit from it. A circle track guy will benefit most from that as there's such a fine line between running up front and falling back in the pack when it comes to chassis set up for the roundy-round crowd.

On one of your track days at TWS your shocks will go from ambient to 150°F in no more than two laps, likely less than one depending upon how many bumps you hit. Then it will stabilize at around 150 - 165°F during a 25 minute session as you have good airflow around the shocks.

Hope this helps.

Best,
    Rob