Dream Racing Las Vegas | FerrariChat

Dream Racing Las Vegas

Discussion in 'Tracking & Driver Education' started by futureowner, Oct 16, 2013.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. futureowner

futureowner Formula 3

Mar 24, 2006
    Brookfield, WI
    Full Name:
    Thad
    #1 futureowner, Oct 16, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Not sure if this fits here or not but last week in Vegas for our wedding anniversary my wife surprised me with some track sessions at Dream Racing at Las Vegas Motorspeedway. For those that are not familiar with Dream Racing, they are the only place in Vegas to drive a "race" Ferrari that I know of. The cars labeled as "F430 GT DR", the best I could guess is that they are somewhat close to a Challenge car, wings, slicks, full cage, etc but certainly not a GT2!

The package my wife got me was the entry-level, five laps around their 1.1 mile infield road course. It started with about 10/15min in their iRacing simulator to get you used to the track and the cars, during the session you are paired with one of their instructors to walk you through the laps, the track, the car etc. Was really helpful and made you feel comfortable before heading out. I was also pretty happy that I was 5 sec per lap quicker than the other person in my group, though to be fair I have a modest amount of driving and karting experience!

From there we headed to the track where we had to wait as Total was having a corporate event that morning that was wrapping up. Side note, I asked a guy who was wearing a Red Bull polo if he was a Webber or Vettel fan, he just stared at me as if I was speaking Greek, apparently he just got the shirt in Austin last year as a guest of the company and had no idea what I was talking about.

The anticipation was growing as we saw the cars run down pit lane at the speed limit and then explode as the drivers got on the gas! Finally it was my turn to get in the car, the instructor in the car was most definitely Italian but was great, very calm and relaxed and wanted you to push as much as possible. This was my first time in a car with wings and slicks and wow, was it unbelievable! The cornering level was just crazy and most of the track was actually taken in third gear without braking for most corners.

From flipping the ignition switch and pressing the button to bring this beast to life to seeing the computerized Ferrari layout on the dash in front of me to hearing the howl of that V8 I have nothing but great things to say about Dream Racing! Complimentary transportation to and from Crystal's at City Center was nice as well since the track is pretty far out. Would highly recommend to anyone, supposedly they are getting 458's soon to replace the 430's and I would definitely say do more than five laps, I would have run all day if I could!

As for times, I have no idea what a "good" time is on the track but I did a 58sec lap on the simulator and a 1.00.2min lap on the track (lapped the other person in my group). I do not know if that is good or not but the instructor was pumping his fists, fist bumping me, etc and talking about how no one in the Total group that whole morning ran that fast, especially on their first time out. I am sure he says that to everyone but it I like to think maybe, just maybe there was some truth to it :)
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. oss117

oss117 F1 Rookie

Jan 26, 2006
    Plantation, Florida
    Full Name:
    Alfredo
    It looks like your Dream Racing Las Vegas was the same outfit called Exotics Racing Las Vegas this past August.
    I had my 5 laps in a 458 and had a blast.
    My kids had 2 laps each in the drifter corvette and had a blast as well.
    All in all a very positive experience that I am keen to repeat in the near future, albeit in Winter, not in August!

3. futureowner

futureowner Formula 3

Mar 24, 2006
    Brookfield, WI
    Full Name:
    Thad
    Dream Racing and Exotics are actually two different companies, though both are at the same location. From what I know both offer road cars though only Dream offers the "race" car.

I can only imagine how hot driving on the track in August would be! It was mid 70's and sunny my day and it was pretty toasty in the car.

4. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    The two companies and strategies are different. Dream racing is for the more hard core racing experience types.

Exotic racing is for those people who always wanted to drive their dream car but know they will probably never be able to afford one.

They both have their place. They both offer free shuttles if you book in advance. Dream Racing is in the old location that Exotic racing left to build their own track and facilities. It's a little closer to the strip by a couple of miles.

5. NSXLuvr

NSXLuvr Formula Junior

Oct 3, 2006
    Tx
    Full Name:
    Ritesh
    Glad you enjoyed the experience BUT you lost me at 5 laps and 1.1 miles. It's like having a small appetizer at a 5 star restaurant. You want to stick around for the main meal. ;-)

6. oss117

oss117 F1 Rookie

Jan 26, 2006
    Plantation, Florida
    Full Name:
    Alfredo
    Correct, 5 laps is just the appetizer, but not knowing what to expect, I was fine with it.
    However once there I was told the track is made shorter in the summer as the cars "suffer" from the heat (the temperature that day was 119 deg. F).
    In the winter months they extend it and I believe the experience is more enjoyable.
    The 458 I drove did not apear to suffer much, although they had about 3 of them and they were alternating them, most likely to allow some cool off time.
    The Corvette that was being used for the drifting had no back-up instead, so it had the hood kept open by a couple of inches in the back; where the car was being parked at the end of each session there were 4 air blowers positioned to cool off the brakes and the tires and they had one guy with a pressure canister spraying water on the radiator.
    Also, before the Corvette would proceed to its parking spot under the tent, it would first stop by a cooling off station, where 2 guys with water hoses would cool off the radiator and brakes.
    Like I said in my previous post, definitely a very positive experience to be repeated under more favourable temperature condition.

7. Heat Seeker WS6

Heat Seeker WS6 Formula 3

Nov 4, 2003
    Milwaukee, WI
    Full Name:
    John G
    #7 Heat Seeker WS6, Oct 21, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 21, 2013
    Futureowner- were you there on the 15th? Thats when one of my friends was there... and he's from Milwaukee! He said the treatment was outstanding and did several sessions for a total of 20 laps. This was his first time driving a Ferrari although he's tracked at Elkhart with me.

Zach behind the wheel-

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=74oNwFJcDEM[/ame]

8. futureowner

futureowner Formula 3

Mar 24, 2006
    Brookfield, WI
    Full Name:
    Thad
    Was there one week earlier actually (the 8th)! Too bad, would have been nice to have a "home town" reference. Will have to get my video put up somewhere. Would like to meet you some time as well, enjoy your posts on here and see your car parked at Road America frequently.

As for everyone saying 5 laps was not enough.....I couldn't agree more! I don't think 40 laps would have been enough. Definitely doing this again and from the sounds of it, will be in the 458's they are getting.

9. Heat Seeker WS6

Nov 4, 2003
    Milwaukee, WI
    Full Name:
    John G
    #9 Heat Seeker WS6, Oct 22, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    thanks & likewise! As I was re-reading this post yesterday morning and noticing your from Brookfield, Zack sends me his video and starts telling me about it. Crazy timing! I've only met a few in person from here & trying to meet more. I go to the same carshow Joker in Mequon (Brew City Cruise Night), but have never actually met him- but I've 'met' his car as well. Do you do any club events at RA?
    I want to do this as well, and yeah I'd need to do a number of sessions to get my fill. Hmmm, I wonder if they need any part time instructors?!

At ALMS events I usally have it in the paddock- these are from at Elkhart & Petit

10. futureowner

futureowner Formula 3

Mar 24, 2006
    Brookfield, WI
    Full Name:
    Thad
    I think I've seen you parked at ALMS often, I make it up there for that every year. I don't do any of the club activities up there, I did a couple weekends with MVP Track Time back when they ran at Blackhawk Farms but the switch to Road America, 120k miles on my 2002 RSX and having a kid have precluded me from attempting to run now that they are at RA! Would love to get out on track there sometime though, I never have and I have desperately wanted to. Plus it would give me an excuse to dust off my helmet!

Your friend certainly is much more smooth than I am in my video, was this his first run of the day or one of the later sessions? Certainly I feel like I could shave a good amount of time off my quick lap now that I have "some" experience behind the wheel in the car and on the track. Interesting how the different instructors have people take different lines. Mine was not crazy about me getting close to the rumble strips and always had me lift during the right hander that preceeds the last two right handers. Kept thinking "I could take this flat" but wanted to be respectful of the rules.

11. Heat Seeker WS6

Nov 4, 2003
    Milwaukee, WI
    Full Name:
    John G
    I'm going to guess this is one of his later sessions and yeah he's pretty clean out there. He already called me out to join him on a visit out there to see who can lay down the faster lap. First we'll have to have round 1 at K1 (formerly CIR) in Bullafo Grove lol. We should make that a Milw/Chicago area F-Chat trip down there.

Thats curious as to why they don't stick to 1 'race line'. Perhaps they don't quite let the drivers get fast enough so there's a cusion where getting offline in the first place won't matter too much?

Where you at RA for the FCA50th event?
    RA's done for the season now, but next year let me know sometime when you want to head up there for some tracktime! - Theres a number of events I can ride with you as an instructor there, or at minimum do a touring during session. My pig's sitting with 201K on it and trying to flog it still on a somewhat regular basis.

12. futureowner

futureowner Formula 3

Mar 24, 2006
    Brookfield, WI
    Full Name:
    Thad
    I made it up to RA for the 50th on Saturday, had a great time. Would definitely be interested in heading down to K1, haven't been since it was CIR and have been trying to get back!

As for the racing line, not sure, the cars do have ABS and ASR so there is some saftey before it gets too out of shape, could just be a reflection of the instructors driving style for that matter.

I'll let you know if I ever plan on tracking at RA again. Pretty sure my current car has seen the last of its track days and getting close to end of its time with me. With a 2 year old now need something with 4-doors, Jag XF Supercharged is looking mighty tempting! But who knows, if I cannot get anything for my RSX, I may just turn it into a track only car :)

13. Ky1e

Ky1e Formula 3

Mar 4, 2011
    FL
    I just tried the Dream Racing when I was in Vegas this weekend. Great experience, very professional outfit. I got to try the 458 Challenge car with full evo kit (they call it a 458 GT but its a 458C). Also tried a Porsche Cup car (they call it a Porsche GT). Both had slicks and were fully prepped track cars.

I didnt know the track and only did 5 laps in each but I liked the Fcar much better than the Cup car. The Cup car was a lot rougher, no ABS, and less forgiving. I ran the 458 in 53 seconds, the CUP car in 57 seconds. But to be fair I ran the first 5 laps in the Cup car then the second 5 laps in the 458. I was just starting to remember the corners in my last 2 laps of the 458.

The staff from the owner Erico (cool guy -- he was a former race car driver who won the Monaco grand prix formula 3 and started the Pilota Corsa program at Ferrari) and Cedrick my instructor (former pro and CCR racer) down to the check-in girls was first class all the way. If you are in Vegas, I recommend giving it a shot. I went with my 4 buddies and they all had a blast.

Next time I would do all of it in the 458C and also do more laps. It takes 10 laps just to learn the track.

14. futureowner

futureowner Formula 3

Mar 24, 2006
    Brookfield, WI
    Full Name:
    Thad
    Glad you enjoyed it! Looking back at this, I did a 57sec lap in the 430, I was back out there in April and did the 458, my instructor asked me my 430 time and then said "I'll get you to 50sec in this car".....safe to say I didn't really believe him, after 7 laps my last lap was my fastest, 49sec. It's amazing how much faster the 458 than the 430!

15. Ky1e

Ky1e Formula 3

Mar 4, 2011
    FL
    That's an awesome time! They told me the fastest the 458C can go around the track is 49 secs - well done.

The track is mega safe because it doesn't have any walls and its near impossible to hit anything, but it is also hard to remember any corners because they all look the same -- no trees, barriers, hills, structure to identify one from the next. It's also a pretty short track. that said, I dont know any other place where you can plop down some cash and jump into a 458 Challenge with slicks and have at it.