Kart Racing | FerrariChat

Kart Racing

Discussion in 'Tracking & Driver Education' started by WILLIAM H, Oct 29, 2013.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. WILLIAM H

WILLIAM H Three Time F1 World Champ

Nov 1, 2003
    Victory Circle
    Full Name:
    HUBBSTER
    So I had my 4 yr old son in an electric Razor kart for a few months on our 1/8 driveway where he learned to steer, slalom, do hairpins etc

Now he just started driving a gas kart & I'll get one too so we can drive together

Looking for tips from other kart racers to help kids improve

Thanks

2. Bas

Bas Four Time F1 World Champ

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    Are there any out door tracks nearby? If so, take him there and let him drive the track a few weekends. Then after that see if there are racing leagues (there's normally different classes that race on the same weekend, one of them for kids riding in 50cc's).

Eventually he'll get faster as he tries to chase down his nearest competitor :).

Better start them early ;).

3. JV's89

JV's89 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jul 18, 2006
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Full Name:
    John
    The Florida Winter Tour is right around the corner. You may want to spend some time in the paddock at some of the venues and talk to other parents and kart vendors.

Lessons and seat time will go a long way. I spent quite a bit of money on driving lessons through my kart vendor and it really helped. Kids learn so much faster than adults.

If your interested, I can PM you the contact info for some people that could help, and will be in your area this winter.

4. Heat Seeker WS6

Heat Seeker WS6 Formula 3

Nov 4, 2003
    Milwaukee, WI
    Full Name:
    John G
    #4 Heat Seeker WS6, Oct 29, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 29, 2013
    Seat time!
    Locally, we have Franklin Motorsports and they can get hired out for private coaching & mentoring. Are there any shops there or seasoned kart racers you know you can tap into for mentoring?
    I also have a hookup at K1 and can put you in touch with them.

Many great books to choose from like: Sprint Karting: A Complete Beginner's Guide: Jean L. Genibrel, Genibrel Publications: 9780966912012: Amazon.com: Books

Also, there's the Super Karts USA coming up in Vegas. That's the who's who in the sport- if you guys can get to this, go for it! http://www.superkartsusa.com/national/skusa-supernationals.html

Smooth is fast, quick transition between gas & brake pedals, keeping head up to have good vision of the track ahead, ...damn is it race season again yet?

Get the kart scaled with him in it by a shop and have the chasis set to a good neutral setup for the baseline setting. From there making notes on setup sheets, make suble changes during practice days and see whats good for better laptimes/ sector times.

5. JV's89

JV's89 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jul 18, 2006
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Full Name:
    John
    lol!

I wish it were race season already.

What class do you run, John?

6. WILLIAM H

Nov 1, 2003
    Victory Circle
    Full Name:
    HUBBSTER
    #6 WILLIAM H, Oct 29, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    You think this guy is any good ? :)
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

7. Heat Seeker WS6

Nov 4, 2003
    Milwaukee, WI
    Full Name:
    John G
    I'm running Komet Sr in a Merlin and this past year I ran in the RT66 Sprint Series. My g/f and her 2 brothers also run in the same class.

Raced at - Newcastle IN , Michiana Raceway Park IN, Dousman WI, Concept Haulers Raceway Park IL & Midstate Kart Club IL.

Before K1 bought out Chicago Indoor Racing, I was doing league & endurance races there since '04.

What about you JV?

8. Heat Seeker WS6

Nov 4, 2003
    Milwaukee, WI
    Full Name:
    John G
    Thats too cool of a shot! Certainly fits the bill, but I'll put my $ on the guy on the right!

9. WILLIAM H

Nov 1, 2003
    Victory Circle
    Full Name:
    HUBBSTER
    Thanks, We have the 2030 NASCAR Championship in mind with Sports Car & Kart racing as a hobby

10. JV's89

JV's89 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jul 18, 2006
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Full Name:
    John
    I'm sure he is, but who's the old dude with rib vest on the outside of his suit? :D

11. JV's89

JV's89 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jul 18, 2006
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Full Name:
    John
    I've been running TAG senior for the past 5 yrs. I was on a Kosmic with a Rok TT and Leopard up until now. Next year I'm running a Praga Dragon with a Cook Leopard.

There is no TAG master class at Pittsburgh International Raceway, so I have to race against the kids.

12. Heat Seeker WS6

Nov 4, 2003
    Milwaukee, WI
    Full Name:
    John G
    I'm going to run 1 more year in Komet then switch to TAG. Why the change to Praga?

13. Heat Seeker WS6

Nov 4, 2003
    Milwaukee, WI
    Full Name:
    John G
    Your definately putting him on the proper path with the right tools to make it happen!

14. WILLIAM H

Nov 1, 2003
    Victory Circle
    Full Name:
    HUBBSTER
    That's the plan. He also just got his yellow belt in Jiu Jitsu and is starting Karate.

and he's not even 5 yet LOL

15. ag512bbi

ag512bbi F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 8, 2003
    So. Cal
    Full Name:
    Armen
    I'm just as impressed of the 1/8 (is that mile) driveway. That's a BIG WOW from someone who lives ontop of there neighbors in Newport Beach.

16. JV's89

JV's89 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jul 18, 2006
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Full Name:
    John
    First and foremost, there are only two of us on Kosmics. That equates to little to no race day support. Pitt International is the home track for the Praga and PCR importers, so spare parts and support are there for every race. It was a tough decision because I'm friends with both importers and both are great karts.

Sorry for the thread-drift William. :)

17. WILLIAM H

Nov 1, 2003
    Victory Circle
    Full Name:
    HUBBSTER
    Yes, you get some real estate out in the sticks :)

18. FerrariDeeJay

FerrariDeeJay Formula Junior

Jun 2, 2009
    Chino, CA
    Full Name:
    Michael
    #18 FerrariDeeJay, Oct 29, 2013
    The only problem with starting them young is that they end up driving a 50cc Comer. Kids learn bad driving habits that they will have to overcome once they switch to 80 or 100cc engines. The acceleration and braking are very different between the smaller displacement machines and the larger ones.

For this reason, a good driving coach would be important now to get him learning good driving habits early on that he can carry into the next stage of karting.

I race with a great group in So. Cal called F100karters.com

It is a small but competitive group and we have our own 7 race series. We have racers from age 7-77. Best of luck to you and your son, and remember that karting is all about having fun :)

19. WILLIAM H

Nov 1, 2003
    Victory Circle
    Full Name:
    HUBBSTER
    I'm buying myself a kart w dual front disc brakes to run w him & teach him the racing line etc

What are biggest differences between driving a race car vs a kart ?

20. FerrariDeeJay

FerrariDeeJay Formula Junior

Jun 2, 2009
    Chino, CA
    Full Name:
    Michael
    William,
    A kart with front brakes is not necessary unless you buy a shifter kart. Buy a 100cc or 125cc TAG to get started. With your car racing experience, karting should come naturally to you. The racing line never really changes. Go Apex to Apex and figure out your braking and acceleration points. It's all about being smooth on the gas, brake, and steering wheel. Go to F100karters.com and check out the video links.

21. JV's89

JV's89 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jul 18, 2006
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Full Name:
    John
    Karts are really stuck to the track. I think you'll be impressed with the grip and cornering speeds karts are capable of. So much so that bruised or broken ribs are not unusual. Invest in a good rib vest.

Braking is also different. Trail breaking often results in a spin, at least in a kart without front brakes. Any coaching I've had insists on doing all breaking before turn-in. A kart with front brakes is more forgiving in this regard.

I'm certain there are many other differences between the two, but my race car experience is limited to a day in a Star Mazda car. That was blast!

22. WILLIAM H

Nov 1, 2003
    Victory Circle
    Full Name:
    HUBBSTER
    I drove a kart w a single rear disc & I spun it a few times. Its different from braking a car.

How do you avoid spinning it ?

23. HotShoe

HotShoe F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 3, 2008
    Lake Worth, FL
    Full Name:
    Anthony Lauro
    Give Bruce McQuiston a call. He's a great guy and an awesome coach, and an artist. Local too!

McQuiston Sculpture | Home

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r06sriD4uiI]Bruce McQuiston Daytona in car - YouTube[/ame]

I have an ICC shifter kart I'm looking to sell but it's probably not what you should start out in. Rotax karts are easier to run and less physically demanding. Push the starter button and go. They are plenty fast and the run groups at Homestead are huuuuuge.

The shifter will beat the living hell out of you and you have to be in peak physical shape with lots of stamina or you'll pass out after ten minutes in the kart. ;)

24. Heat Seeker WS6

Nov 4, 2003
    Milwaukee, WI
    Full Name:
    John G
    #24 Heat Seeker WS6, Oct 30, 2013
    Biggest thing I've noticed going from car-ing (lol) to karting is instantaneous response to driver inputs. Unlike a car where there will always be some dregee of 'squishiness' in ride & steering- there is immediate response and allows for more precise driving and rawness of it all. As Senna said- it's pure driving. Thats why you see top drivers never leave their karting roots. Each year, Robopong and other major events have several top field drivers attend.

Like Michael said, establish good driving technique now with the smaller motor and as he transitions into the bigger motors/ chassis with more power, he'll be able to put the power down cleanly via technique. Alot guys we see running TAG 125cc's are pretty sloppy because they haven't honed thier racecraft effectively.

Mayor Hinchliff in my kart in June...

25. Heat Seeker WS6

Nov 4, 2003
    Milwaukee, WI
    Full Name:
    John G
    #25 Heat Seeker WS6, Oct 30, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 30, 2013
    Get all the braking done -quickly and smothly before you add steering input. That was one of the biggest transitional problem areas I had getting into karting. The hotter the tires get, you'll get more bite and a bit more forgiveness, but you don't want to induce a slide as that'll chuck up to a few tenths of a lap out the window.

When I was in the Scud at Road America a few days after racing the kart, I did notice my braking was a bit cleaner!