Obsolete Nascars | FerrariChat

Obsolete Nascars

Discussion in 'Tracking & Driver Education' started by raider1968, Dec 7, 2013.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. raider1968

raider1968 F1 Rookie
    Owner

Mar 13, 2008
    NC Mnts & Asheville
    Full Name:
    John E
    Could someone tell me where to look for outdated Nascars to buy - always thought it would be fun to track with one if the prices are right

2. GuyIncognito

GuyIncognito Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
  3. raider1968

raider1968 F1 Rookie
    Owner

Mar 13, 2008
    NC Mnts & Asheville
    Full Name:
    John E
    Thanks Chas

4. rob lay

rob lay Administrator
    Staff Member Admin Miami 2018 Owner

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    #4 rob lay, Dec 7, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    I've raced head to head against several NASCAR's. Not sure how popular they became, but several were racing with us NASA Texas 2008 or so.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

5. GuyIncognito

GuyIncognito Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
    I think there's some running in AIX or whatever the unlimited class is.

they may be SCCA GT1 eligible too.

or vintage, time attack, or just destroy the sound limit at a track day :D

6. raider1968

raider1968 F1 Rookie
    Owner

Mar 13, 2008
    NC Mnts & Asheville
    Full Name:
    John E
    Rob
    Both my daughter and son in law are avid trackers along with me - thought it might be fun to have a car to share - then only have to haul one car to the track - also, we could give each other a lot of BS about track times (although I'll be the one getting it). Plus my new son in law is a really good wrench head - my daughter said she married her track support - LOL

7. I'm gone

I'm gone Formula Junior

Feb 5, 2006
    Phoenix,az
    Full Name:
    Brian
    I've been with Norm Benning Racing since 2009 as one of the many things I do, Norm has I think three ARCA race cars he was telling me he wanted to sell, you could get one of those fairly cheap, along with every thing you need, fuel cans, extra rims extra parts, ect. If Tony Stewart doesn't put Norms Eldora Race truck in his museum, he has one of those for sale, Camping World Truck series Chevy, needs work after a two lap long wreck with Clay Greenfield and an outside wall but fixable! Also he has a couple cup cars he's talked about selling. Engines can be expensive, depends on how fast you want to go! You can put your own in of course, Norm has different engines some need rebuilt, I don't know what new cup engines run, but our SB2 engines are about $75, 000 and a RO7 goes for $125,000. You could put in a ARCA engine cheap and have fun. If you want I can get pics and some prices , these are in Pa.

8. BartonWorkman

BartonWorkman F1 Veteran
    Sponsor

Nov 3, 2003
    En El 305
    Full Name:
    Barton Workman
    Watch the auctions, the real auctions not B-J.

On more occasions than may be remembered, old NASCAR cars will go across the blocks
    with hardly a bid and the auctioneer will go as low as $20K just to get the bidding going. The
    rare exception might be a car that has won a major race by a major driver.

Friends have had NASCAR cars. It's not so much the cost to buy but what it costs hourly to
    operate as with most racing cars. Count on burning through the gas and have a plenty of back
    up tires as these dinosaurs eat tires especially on tricky road courses.

BHW

9. raider1968

raider1968 F1 Rookie
    Owner

Mar 13, 2008
    NC Mnts & Asheville
    Full Name:
    John E
    Thanks for the advice guys - have not talked to my kids about this idea yet - will talk to them over the holidays when we are together - I presently track my Scud and my daughter and her husband her Lotus - one issue we have is that he is 6' 2-3" and she is 5'2" - makes it a little more complicated seat wise - fortunately she is too short for the Scud the way I have the seat

10. cheesey

cheesey Formula 3

Jun 23, 2011
    best bang for the buck for tracking fun... at bargain prices...race ready with 850hp

plenty of purpose built road race cars looking for a home... some are brokered, while calling a team directly can turn up deals, some cars with only a race or two as "better" cars are being developed for the next race... the big demand is for the oval track cars ( keeping their prices high ), leaving the road cars looking for a home... it's been a good secret

11. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    well, that would be a Miata and most drivers will be faster in that than the NASCAR, but those stock cars are really cool! :D

If you want something just a little cooler, maybe look at Spec Boxster.

12. cheesey

cheesey Formula 3

Jun 23, 2011
    Rob, those running Miatas and Boxsters are spending more... don't take my word, do a little research for yourself, you will not believe what you find out... you can even work a deal to maintain the car between races... even if you wind up breaking it, the cost is minimal compared to what others are paying

13. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    that is complete bull, I raced Spec. RX7 which was same thing when Spec Miata was taking off, we raced along with them and many of the Spec RX7 racers went over to Spec Miata.

1) Tires: per tire costs Spec Miata vs. stock car?
    2) Tires: number of cycles Spec Miata vs. stock car?
    3) Engine: reliability, parts costs, and rebuild costs 135 HP stock Spec Miata vs. 850 HP stock car?
    4) Body: panel repair junk yards full of Miatas vs. custom stock cars?
    5) Gas: unleaded 91 Octane pump gas vs. stock car?
    6) Transport: $800 open flatbed trailer pulled my 2wd medium SUV vs. stock car's enclosed trailer and 1 ton truck?

If you want to talk about the high end Spec Miatas that compete front of grid at Runoffs then you need to compare apples to apples with a brand new full Tony Stewart ready 2013 NASCAR.

14. cheesey

cheesey Formula 3

Jun 23, 2011
    ...if you say so...

15. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    #15 rob lay, Dec 8, 2013
  16. kverges

kverges F1 Rookie

Nov 18, 2003
    Dallas
    Full Name:
    Keith Verges
    I suspect Rob is right on Miata vs. retired NASCAR. But answer his questions as to tires, brakes, engine life and rebuild cost and so on. I can say that for my Turbo Miata track car (sort of a SM with turbocharger) a set of R888 (can be used wet or dry) is about $700, brakes are under $120 and axle set, rotors about $40 each, engines so far have been boneyard specials that tend to last well over 100 hours each and cost about $750, transmissions last even longer and cost about the same. I get probably 6 track hours out of a set of tires and 10 or so on front brake pads. And the car is fast, I can promise you it will run with a NASCAR on most any track, unless you have a real Cup engine and that will demolish any reasonable budget as those things have to cost over $50K.

Now NASCARs sound great, look cool, but I highly doubt they are as reliable and cheap to operate as my Turbo Miata. But come on out to MotorSport Ranch with a NASCAR as my guest and see for yourself.

17. I'm gone

I'm gone Formula Junior

Feb 5, 2006
    Phoenix,az
    Full Name:
    Brian
    Never raced a mazda so I don't know anything about cost to run one of those but I am on a NASCAR team and can say our tires run around $2500 a set, RO7 engine $125,000, transmission $6, 800, front and rear pieces $3200, bla bla bla. A lot of our parts look like stuff you can get from Napa except they have been approved by NASCAR and marked up. There's a reason teams tell sponsors they need $25mil a year! I was told today we have 7 race cars for sale.

18. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    Miata

$700 set of tires
    $3,000 engine rebuild
    $1,000 trans rebuild

19. ktr6

ktr6 Formula Junior

Mar 25, 2011
    Knoxville, TN
    Full Name:
    Keith
    #19 ktr6, Dec 8, 2013
    Last edited: Dec 8, 2013
    These costs can go up substantially if you are trying to build a miata that can run up front in a national SCCA venue. It really depends on what you are trying to do with the car. I run a miata and short track ovals with a Super Truck and the costs are relatively comparable.

If you are just doing track days and want to improve race craft with data etc go with the miata. You will become a better driver. If you are just looking for something super powerful and fun go with the NASCAR. In the right hands these cars/trucks can be fast, just look at the times from the Crafstman truck race at Watkins Glenn.

Check out Rousch Parts in Mooresville, NC they have several retired chasis and can find you whatever you want. A fresh/good road course car (K&N/ARCA) is typically going to start in the mid thirties depending on spares etc.

http://www.roushyatesparts.com/

20. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay

21. kverges

kverges F1 Rookie

Nov 18, 2003
    Dallas
    Full Name:
    Keith Verges
    Just noticed the 850 hp reference. Bwahahahahaha! I might believe a mild small block with 450 hp can be run cheaply, but a 850 hp mill is going to cost at least $50k and last under 20 hours before a refresh.

22. raider1968

raider1968 F1 Rookie
    Owner

Mar 13, 2008
    NC Mnts & Asheville
    Full Name:
    John E
    All I want to do is scream around a race track just tracking - I am a respectable and experienced tracker but don't want to race and be competitive - Heck I'm too old for all that - just want to have fun with the kids and friends

23. raider1968

raider1968 F1 Rookie
    Owner

Mar 13, 2008
    NC Mnts & Asheville
    Full Name:
    John E
    But, besides all that, thanks for all the advice and ideas - very interesting and I appreciate it

24. ktr6

ktr6 Formula Junior

Mar 25, 2011
    Knoxville, TN
    Full Name:
    Keith
    Good luck with your search and enjoy whatever you end up in. I would definitely talk with Rousch (since you are in NC) and encourage you to visit some of the V8 series races:

V8 Stock Car Road Racing Series

These guys can surely give you a very accurate idea of what the costs involved with these cars are.

25. 4re Nut

4re Nut F1 World Champ

Mar 27, 2004
    N of NOLA
    Full Name:
    Steve
    #25 4re Nut, Dec 8, 2013