Anyone have or built a pit cart? | FerrariChat

Anyone have or built a pit cart?

Discussion in 'Tracking & Driver Education' started by Carsonp, Feb 8, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Carsonp

Carsonp Formula 3

Sep 29, 2004
    Minnesota - NW subs
    Full Name:
    Carson Partain
    Now that i have the trailer im looking at building a pit cart. Of course i will need to double check i can park it in the new trailer with the car in there but for now, im thinking 84"Lx40"Wx72"H with the following features.

44" (with bench top) and 27" wide tool chests
    storage for nitrogen tanks
    a spot for a generator
    air hose reel
    ext chord reel
    lights
    The rest will be misc lockable cabinets for jack, stands, nuts, bolts, liquids, maybe the mig welder, etc...

Ive found a place that sells a decent looking spindle kit and wheels and misc parts ( https://www.irvansmith.com/scart/index.php ). Due to budget im not going to add brakes right away, i will see how it feels and maybe retrofit them later if needed.

ANYWHO! My question is with the framing. I know some of the larger ones are made with aluminum framing too but i cant find any specifics on tubing dimensions. I figure everything above the base frame (lower portion where the wheels will be mounting and everything will be resting) can be done with 1 1/2"x1 1/2"x 1/8" extrusion with proper tube placement. But the base frame, id like to use something considerably heavier but if i go with a 2"x4" 1/8" or 1/4" tube, that will put my work bench height at about 44" or so depending on ride height.

and to be clear im definitly on a budget so a $10,000 cart pre made isnt really an option :eek: :D

2. GuyIncognito

GuyIncognito Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
    check out Rennlist, lots of interesting ideas there (do a search for "carts" in Racing subforum)

I had one of these that I used for tires, but could be configured for other stuff: RocknRoller MultiCart ? Rock n Roller Multi-Cart FAQ's

check out utility carts/tool carts at HD, Lowes, etc. might get some good ideas if nothing else.

if you do build your own I would definitely put brakes on the wheels/casters, that could be penny wise and pound foolish if it runs away from you, falls over and breaks equipment, hits a car, etc.

3. Carsonp

Carsonp Formula 3

Sep 29, 2004
    Minnesota - NW subs
    Full Name:
    Carson Partain
    i dont know... the tracks ive been to are pretty flat and from waht i can tell most dont have brakes. When its in position it can be chalked or some have levelers in the corners which isnt a bad idea.

Also, any utility/tool carts from a store like that is either steel and/or not ment for the weight mine would be.

4. CornersWell

CornersWell F1 Rookie

Nov 24, 2004
    Have a look in the classifieds at racingjunk.com, also.

CW

5. Carsonp

Carsonp Formula 3

Sep 29, 2004
    Minnesota - NW subs
    Full Name:
    Carson Partain
    im pretty set on building one. I enjoy making things.

I think im going to go with a 2"wx3"H tube for the base. I can get it in 1/8" or 1/4" wall. Probably go with 1/4" wall which will only add about 30 lbs (22 linear ft) but this is where the spindles and handle mount

6. FarmerDave

FarmerDave F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Jul 26, 2004
    Full Name:
    IgnoranteWest
    Carson, I would love to know how thos project turned out.