Driving course | FerrariChat

Driving course

Discussion in 'Tracking & Driver Education' started by 365, Mar 5, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. 365

365 Karting

May 31, 2011
    Venezuela
    Full Name:
    German Alvarez
    Someone can recomend a Ferrari track course in the states or Italy

2. Ingenere

Ingenere F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Dec 11, 2001
    On the Limit
    Full Name:
    Dino
    If you have to drive a Ferrari, the factory runs a very pricey course.

Your money would be better spent at Bob Bondurant or Skip Barbour

3. luvair

luvair Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 4, 2005
  4. kverges

kverges F1 Rookie

Nov 18, 2003
    Dallas
    Full Name:
    Keith Verges
    Oh, brother. Now the Ferrari is so magical it has special educational attributes? If you want to drive a Ferrari at a Ferrari-sponsored school, by all means, but don't kid yourself that you are getting any better driving education than Bondurant, Russell, Barber, Spring Mountain or other courses out there.

If anything, I'd recommend against driving a Ferrari if you are a novice

5. GuyIncognito

GuyIncognito Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
    LOL :)

and I agree, if you're a true novice your educational dollar will be much better spent elsewhere.

6. luvair

luvair Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 4, 2005
    For the US school, if you can document prior track experience, they will place the student in the advanced school. If take the course in Europe, even with lots of track experience, they start the student in the basic school. Spoke with a couple of FCA members who took the advanced and Challenge school, and both thought it was extraordinary.

Clearly, insane Ferrari prices for only two days.

7. 412monzaindy

412monzaindy Formula Junior

Mar 8, 2005
    Ontario Canada
    Full Name:
    PBI
    I have signed up for the advanced at Tremblant. June 30th

Looking forward to the F12

8. Schatten

Schatten F1 World Champ
    Owner

Apr 3, 2001
    Austin, TX
    Full Name:
    Randy
    For the price of a weekend Ferrari school, you can buy an old Miata, track it for a year, which includes price of a few sets of tires, track pads, and rotors. Sure it isn't a Ferrari, but for a novice, driving a Miata around the track will allow you to utilize the entire car's ability without any fear for damage, and get the most out of a lower hp car. Once you do that, you will be faster in a higher hp car.

But like others have said, a few HPDE's and a Skippy School or similar will be better bucks. It all depends what you want out of a school.

9. Heat Seeker WS6

Heat Seeker WS6 Formula 3

Nov 4, 2003
    Milwaukee, WI
    Full Name:
    John G
    And there are those who want to say they did it in a Ferrari, not a 'lesser' car.

10. GuyIncognito

GuyIncognito Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
    yep, "I spent the weekend replacing rotors on the Miata" doesn't have quite the same ring to it as "I spent the weekend "racing" a Ferrari" does down at the ol' country club :)

zygomatic likes this.
  11. luvair

luvair Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 4, 2005
    I plan to sign up as well.

12. ProCoach

ProCoach F1 Veteran
    Owner

Sep 15, 2004
    VIR Raceway
    Full Name:
    Peter Krause
    The Tremblant track, program, instructor feedback, hospitality and the cars are incredible.

13. Entropy

Entropy Formula 3
    Owner

Jul 10, 2008
    My wife is taking the course (again).

As an FYI, the prior 3 days are Ferrari Corse Clienti days....so the F1, FXX/599XX programs are there, as well as our Challenge races

as usual, Peter's analysis of the data is spot on....

14. Entropy

Entropy Formula 3
    Owner

Jul 10, 2008
    Keith,

Put the Ferraris, the venue and package aside.

The quality of the instruction is head and shoulders above. A combination of the instructor skills, the curriculum and mindset. The instructor crew at FDE would be superb if they were using Smart cars or minivans.

I've been to many of the schools and have a pretty good sense of that. I've observed FDE basic and advanced 3 times - as the spouse! While I'd love to thrash someone else's Ferrari on that track, the school isn't targeted at me (nor, likely for you).

It's a driving program for sure, not a racing program, by design. The emphasis is on a good experience, not maximizing exit speed or minimizing lap times.

My wife is going back again this year. She has fun and WANTS to go - it reinforces good skills and builds her confidence in driving the cars on the street.

The Ferrari element just adds appeal to some, and the 5-Star element makes it nicer for some.

The Radical program at Spring Mountain was also very good, I agree.

15. kverges

kverges F1 Rookie

Nov 18, 2003
    Dallas
    Full Name:
    Keith Verges
    I have to admit I have never attended a FDE event, and it sounds like it is probably not for me if lap times are not the final and ultimate objective. I don't really care about 5 star. Give me port a potties and a race any day.

16. schao

schao Formula Junior

Mar 31, 2013
    Palm Beach, FL
    Full Name:
    S Chao
    LOL
    +1, but I'm willing to pay a bit more for workin bathrooms!

17. AciDShOrT

AciDShOrT Formula Junior
    Owner

Oct 1, 2013
    Saint Louis, MO
    I just came back from the Advanced Pilota Corsa in Italy. It was top notch. I have been through multiple DE's through Porsche (PCA) and I had previously completed two of three levels in the Porsche Sport Driving School, so I was able to pass into the Advanced course for Ferrari, skipping the basic course. The level of instruction was incredible, and the approach to teaching was quite a bit different from how PSDS approached. The Pilota Corsa relies more on having the instructors seated next to you while you drive independantly on the course in your pre determined groups. There is much less "lead follow", which is how PSDS primarily conducts its driving education. I would say the amount of track time is about equal in both schools.

I do agree that a novice driver may not benefit as much if you are looking purely to learn how to drive a car fast around a track. You will initially be overwhelmed by how to find the proper driving line, the limits of traction for the car, learning how to apply appropriate braking for corners, etc. All these skills are the same in any car, but factoring that you will be paying a premium to be applying them in a Ferrari. I personally felt the experience wsa incredible... I am particularly proud because I won the "telemetry race" competition at the end of the course and was given a SWEET trophy! (a mounted f1 piston and connecting rod with the course dates on it!)

Manda racing likes this.
  18. ProCoach

ProCoach F1 Veteran
    Owner

Sep 15, 2004
    VIR Raceway
    Full Name:
    Peter Krause
    Congrats for winning the telemetry trophy! Data doesn't lie! :D

Manda racing likes this.
  19. AciDShOrT

AciDShOrT Formula Junior
    Owner

Oct 1, 2013
    Saint Louis, MO
    Thanks! I can't lie... it was basically the best moment of my life. :)

20. Texas Forever

Texas Forever Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    Agreed. I went to the first one in 2005, and Ryan Hunter Reay was one of the instructors. He is a really nice guy. I'm glad to see one of the nice guys win for a change.

It's funny. Maybe because this was the first school, Ferrari did not make us sign damage agreements, which was a good thing because, since this was my first time in a F1, I kept getting the paddles mixed up, right at turn in!

And you can't beat Tremblant, the track or the town or the lake.

Dale

Manda racing likes this.
  21. Todd Lakes

Todd Lakes Rookie

Aug 13, 2019
    Culver City, CA, USA
    Full Name:
    Todd Lakes
    My friend from Croatia said that the best driving courses in Europe are in Zagreb. It is not so far from Italy and if you have money, then you can try it.

22. Formula Uno

Formula Uno F1 Veteran

Oct 8, 2008
    New York City
    What?? What does Ferrari charge for a weekend school?

23. Rosso328

Rosso328 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 11, 2006
    Central FL
    Full Name:
    Paul
    Lots.

But then again, it is (by all reports) a step change over what you might possibly get anywhere else. I haven’t done it myself.

But still.

Lots.

Think five figures..

24. Speed and Angels

Silver Subscribed

Dec 24, 2015
    Dallas, TX
    A little over $15,000, they go up a few thousand per course for the advanced courses.

Worth every penny.

25. R3 Motorsports

R3 Motorsports Karting

Sep 24, 2019
    Van Nuys, CA
    There are many options for all sort of different school. We have over 30 years experience in the Motorsports world and now host our own driving school. If anyone is interested in learning how to race, we host a 2 day school using the 458 Ferrari Challenge car. each client has their own instructor and their own car for both days. The coaching is tailored to the respective clients skill level. Our coaches are world renowned and we provide the most seat time for this level of coaching.

Take a look at our website below. If anyone has further questions or interest you can message us on the forums, call us at 646-633-3834, or email [email protected]

www.esperienzacorse.com