Seat back brace for race seats | FerrariChat

Seat back brace for race seats

Discussion in 'Tracking & Driver Education' started by Teachdocs, Mar 24, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Teachdocs

Teachdocs Formula Junior

Sep 3, 2012
    Kansas City area
    Full Name:
    Chad
    Anyone with experience using or installing a Brey Krause Seat Back Brace For Race Seats?
    My FIA race seats are almost 5 years old and either need to be replaced or a back brace installed.

The seats are otherwise in very good condition.

From what I can tell, a back brace extends the roll cage to the back of the seat which would be a good thing regardless of the age of the seat.

2. ersatzS2

ersatzS2 Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 24, 2009
    Norfolk VA
  3. Teachdocs

Teachdocs Formula Junior

Sep 3, 2012
    Kansas City area
    Full Name:
    Chad
  4. kverges

kverges F1 Rookie

Nov 18, 2003
    Dallas
    Full Name:
    Keith Verges
    #4 kverges, Apr 12, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 12, 2014
    Do FIA seats age out like belts? I was under impression also that FIA seats are designed to attach only at the seat mount bosses and some flex is actually a safety feature.

Having read the SF Region report I see that the expiration of the FIA homologation drives adding a back support. I am not sure I agree that adding a brace makes the seat safer. I'd really worry that the brace will put a force concentration point. I wonder if there was any engineering done to evaluate relative safety.

I know it is costly but to meet the rule I'd get a new seat

5. fatbillybob

fatbillybob Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 10, 2002
    socal
    Yes seats ago out.

It is good you see the insanity of putting a back brace on seats never tested for a back brace. These look like back breakers to me and I would never have one in my car on any 5 year FIA seat on the old FIA 8855-1999 seat standard which is current for all 5 year seats. The new FIA 10 year seats under FIA 8862-2009

http://www.fia.com/sites/default/files/regulation/file/8862-2009_Advanced_Racing_Seat.pdf

is a seat not only tested and designed to go 10 years but use an integrated back brace since these seats have the back brace attachments molded into the seat. The 5 year seats never had these mold in attachment points and no FIA 5 year seat is tested for drilling and fixing by the back.

6. k wright

k wright Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 4, 2004
    North East TN
    Full Name:
    Kent Wright
    I never understood the thinking behind the seat back brace: they are designed to support only a narrow cross section of the seat. It would be much better if they were oriented in a vertical fashion and supported your back alone its long axis.

7. Teachdocs

Teachdocs Formula Junior

Sep 3, 2012
    Kansas City area
    Full Name:
    Chad

The reason for a BB is to maintain the position of the seat so that your belts stay tight. Once your belts become loose you have lost the safety system because racecars don't have airbags.

http://www.ioportracing.com/faq/seatbackbraces.htm

8. fatbillybob

fatbillybob Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 10, 2002
    socal
    Much misinformation in that article and details left out. I would not use that brace.

9. k wright

k wright Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 4, 2004
    North East TN
    Full Name:
    Kent Wright
    I understand this but think that a vertically oriented brace would be more useful in compression into the seat.