Need Advice for the Ring | FerrariChat

Need Advice for the Ring

Discussion in 'Tracking & Driver Education' started by BassMan, Mar 25, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. BassMan

BassMan Formula Junior

Aug 14, 2008
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    Andy
    I will be in Germany this May and decided to fulfil one of my dreams of driving the Ring. Since I can't ship my 328 in from NY ;) I will need to find a suitable vehicle. My research has revealed several companies that rent "track Prepped" cars for driving Nurbringer.

Has anyone had experience with any of these companies and their vehicles. My goal is to fly in on May 3 and drive in the morning of May 4 (sunday). I would be grateful for any advice you can offer.

2. greyboxer

greyboxer F1 World Champ

Dec 8, 2004
    South East
    Full Name:
    Jimmie
  3. BassMan

BassMan Formula Junior

Aug 14, 2008
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    Andy
  4. WILLIAM H

WILLIAM H Three Time F1 World Champ

Nov 1, 2003
    Victory Circle
    Full Name:
    HUBBSTER
    I use Rent4ring.com

They have cars from Suzuki Swift to GTIs to M3RSR to GT3RS

No problems w them

5. chopperdr

chopperdr Formula Junior

May 10, 2009
    oceanside/vancouver
    Full Name:
    cal meeker
    Had a great time with RSR in their M3, highly recommend. Ron took me out for a lap, then turned me loose. will go back for more

6. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
    Whatever you drive stay off the kerbs, most of them there are far too high to ride and watch traffic, in the 80's it was ok but now every wannabe is there with far more testosterone than talent. Much better to take part in a private track day.

MS

7. gt4me

gt4me F1 Veteran

Sep 10, 2005
    UK
    Full Name:
    Lewis Mitchell
    Ron Simons has an excellent reputation.

8. greyboxer

greyboxer F1 World Champ

Dec 8, 2004
    South East
    Full Name:
    Jimmie
    I had a BMW 316 compact on a track day and it was fine for my first visit (2 days solid) so I could begin to learn the place

You don't need a huge amount of power especially if its a public day as folk will only get in your way

9. Nurburgringer

Nurburgringer F1 World Champ

Jan 3, 2009
    Texass
    +1
    Until you learn every turn and most of the bumps on the Nordschleife driving any car there with more than ~200hp is a waste. You'll end up flying down the (few, short) straights only to botch the next turn-in point and piss off drivers in lower power cars who know the track and are on your bumper half way through the curve.

Rent something "slow" to drive for at least your first trip. You'll still scare yourself silly and have the time of your life. Catch passenger lap(s) in faster car(s) with someone who's done a BUNCH of laps to get a different, but not necessarily more enjoyable experience.

have fun!

10. BassMan

BassMan Formula Junior

Aug 14, 2008
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    Andy
    My wife will be with me on this trip. Is there something for her to do in the area while I'm out zipping along the track for half the day?

11. Nurburgringer

Jan 3, 2009
    Texass
    If she has no interest in cars, not much... hiking or biking the trails around the ring is cool.
    The town of Adenau has a few small shops and cafes.
    1/2 a day is really not much time at the 'Ring... why not drop her off in Koblenz or better yet Cologne and take a full day. Lots more for her to do there.

BTW here's some solid general advice from someone who works for a company that rents cars for the 'Ring:
    The worst possible Nürburgring advice...

12. Chirotractor

Chirotractor Karting

Jan 4, 2009
    Kronberg/Germany
    Full Name:
    Ed
    If you are serious about it, try to get familiar with the ring using the playstation.
    This might sound silly, but it is how I prepared for a racing driver's license course there.
    It is impossible to remember the number of turns with less than 100 laps or so.
    What the playstation is missing of course is the 3rd dimension.
    Like Spa the Nurburgring is a real rollercoaster.
    Keep driving on the right to let faster cars and bikes pass you.

13. Nurburgringer

Jan 3, 2009
    Texass
  14. Gran Drewismo

Gran Drewismo F1 Rookie

Jan 24, 2005
    Idaho
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    Watch this and you'll be fine:

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q4Qxic6qj3E]Seven Second 'Ring King - YouTube[/ame]

15. Nurburgringer

Jan 3, 2009
    Texass
    LOL I love that vid...
    BTW they came in at the Breidscheid entrance/exit ~1/2 way through a lap (1 curve before Lauda Links) instead of the more traditional entrance towards the end of the main straight.
    This is why there's a speed limit (the only one on the track) through Breidscheid, 80kph I think, although most people ignore it. Have heard cops with radar do on rare occasions stake it out though, so speed there at your own risk...

During Clarkson's sub 10 minute Jag challenge about 10 years ago my friend, a local with a prepped GTI Golf, passed Clarkson about 1/4 way into a lap, pulled of at Breidscheid, waited ~20 seconds, then got back on and passed him again ~3/4 of the way through.
    After the lap he talked to Jeremy and told him he passed him on the course in his red Golf.... Jeremy asked him which one, I was passed by 2..... :)

16. alexm

alexm F1 Veteran

Sep 6, 2004
    Coast up from Sydney
    Full Name:
    Alex
    I rented 250Hp Megane.. more than enough power to start learning the circuit, not to get in the way of really fast movers.. and also for you to get past dawdlers safely and promptly.

Allocate 2-3x more time than you think.. overeager punters go off regularly and close the track 1-2 hours at a time.. up to several times a day.. and I didn't even go in peak season.. it took me 2 days just to get my modest number of allocated laps in.

17. Napolis

Napolis Three Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary Owner

Oct 23, 2002
    Full Name:
    Jim Glickenhaus
    Deservedly. He's a friend who has helped our team learn the Ring.

18. kverges

kverges F1 Rookie

Nov 18, 2003
    Dallas
    Full Name:
    Keith Verges
    I will echo the recommendations to (1) drive on a sim like Playstation; and (2) rent a low power car exclusively, given that you will drive only one day. I consider myself a decent driver and have done pretty well club racing, but the 'Ring is unlike any US racetrack because it is so long, has so much elevation change, and is very unforgiving with very little runoff but lots of VERY fast undulating curves, many of which are blind entry. I tried to drive a GT3RS after a couple of days and maybe 15-20 laps and got out after 2-3 laps and stepped back down to the Megane. The Big Boys roll huge speed in the fast undulations, the woosies blast off between the slow turns in their poseur cars then over slow for the next turn and don't watch their mirrors. I passed plenty of Porsches in a Clio and Megane with momentum and I've always thought it more satisfying to drive a slow car fast than vice-versa

Trust me, you will enjoy and scare yourself in a Clio, Megane or Swift just fine. RSR rents the entry level Renaults and the other company rents the Suzuki. Ron Simons is very skilled and Perhaps as knowledgeable as the more famous Sabine Schmidt. But the thing I liked about the company renting Suziki Swifts is that the cars had cages, a nice safety feature absent from RSR's Renaults.

Oh and remember if you wreck it you buy it and the guardrail to boot, so no point renting the faster and more expensive car to increase the risk and resulting expense.

Finally, take it very seriously. I was there about 2 years ago and the week before and day after my stay there were fatalities.

19. Nurburgringer

Jan 3, 2009
    Texass
    Great info and advice K.

I recently met a colleague that went to the 'Ring 2 years ago, and on his first visit rented a M3 from one of the major places. Before this he had no track experience. Zero. But he drives a new Camaro SS here in Houston, and practiced on Playstation so wanted something "fast". I'm actually surprised they rented it to him.
    Anyway he paid up (well over $500 I believe), did two laps, no incidents, and of course had fun but admits that he'd have enjoyed the experience much more with 6 laps in a Clio or Swift or whatever, plus a quick passenger lap in the Ring taxi.

Roll cages are a nice thing to have (as long as they don't give someone a false sense of security "oh it's got a cage so I can take Fuchsrohre or Mutkurve flat on my second lap!"). I assume they have helmets renters can borrow.

20. Mon the fish

Mon the fish Karting

Dec 27, 2013
    Did some TF last year in my Mini, and for my first time I wouldn't want to have been in anything quicker (I've got 230bhp)

Xbox before helped me get an idea of the layout, but it doesn't give you a feel for the elevation changes - when you're approaching a blind crest at over 100, you do wonder if it's the one that's flat, or the one that has a corner right after it.

It remains the most intense and rewarding thing I've ever done, and I'm now hooked. Going back again in June.

Oh, and make sure you go to Sabine's place afterwards for steak on a stone - the best reward there is!

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

21. Napolis

Napolis Three Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary Owner

Oct 23, 2002
    Full Name:
    Jim Glickenhaus
    It is.

22. Nurburgringer

Jan 3, 2009
    Texass
    #23 Nurburgringer, Mar 26, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    oh yeah the "Steak vom Heißen Stein" at the Pistenklause is awesome!
    They also make a damned good pizza. Not an easy find in Germany...

Another fun thing to do if you're staying nearby is to walk part of the track at night.
    Once after a few beers at the PK, under a full moon, a couple brits and I found a hole in the fence about mid-way along the main straight and walked all the way up to T-13. You get a much different sense of the gradient(s) when huffing it on foot!

There are MANY spectating spots around the track as well, depending on how much you want to walk. Below is a pic from Wehrseifen just a relatively short hike from Breidscheid Bridge/Adenau, one of the slowest corners but get to see heavy braking, sketchy overtaking and sometimes oversteery exits.

Also, be sure to take an hour or two to tour the Castle. It's just up the road from the main track entrance (inside the Nordschleife). The view from the top of the 'keep', plus the sounds if there's some race on the GP course, is one of the best in the world.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

23. Nurburgringer

Jan 3, 2009
    Texass
    Several very important lessons worth noting in a recent Porsche crash on the 'Ring (which happened in the same exact place as where we were spectating in the pics above):
    Watch a Porsche driver make a HUGE mistake at the Nürburgring

Most important:
    "DO NOT DRIVE WITH FLUID SPILLS. DO NOT LEAVE THE SCENE OF AN ACCIDENT."

24. Jeffg11

Jeffg11 Formula Junior
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 31, 2004
    Michigan
    Full Name:
    Jeff Grabowski
    #25 Jeffg11, Apr 4, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017