can anyone recommend cameras for dash recording and outside | FerrariChat

can anyone recommend cameras for dash recording and outside

Discussion in 'Tracking & Driver Education' started by 24000rpm, Apr 17, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. 24000rpm

24000rpm F1 Rookie

I need one inside to record my 360 Modena's dashboard and one for the side of the car while in motion.

I probably don't need something fantastic , run of the mill would just do

2. ProCoach

ProCoach F1 Veteran
    Owner

Sep 15, 2004
    VIR Raceway
    Full Name:
    Peter Krause
  3. ktr6

ktr6 Formula Junior

Mar 25, 2011
    Knoxville, TN
    Full Name:
    Keith
    Gopro is excellent and they offer many methods to be able to mount almost anywhere on the car. It's nice that they are battery operated and the data card fits in the camera itself. I used a chase cam for a while and it was much more involved to mount and move between cars. Also, if you are collecting data make sure the camera system will work with your data system so you can overlay data/video. Good luck, let us know what you end up with.

4. msdesignltd

msdesignltd F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 17, 2003
    NYC. / E. Hampton
    Full Name:
    Michael
    #4 msdesignltd, Apr 18, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  5. Mozella

Mozella Formula Junior

Mar 24, 2013
    Piemonte, Italia
    Here are my suggestions.

If you're real serious and intend to do a lot of video recording, then GoPro is a good choice, especially if you use a protective housing. But the top of the line GoPro cameras aren't exactly cheap and you have to ask yourself how much video you really intend to shoot. In my case, the answer is , not much.

But if, like me, you want to do a little bit of video work (I want to record some of the Mille Miglia) then perhaps all you need is your normal P&S camera and a suction cup mount. I bought a high quality suction cup mount to hold my Sony RX100 twenty megapixel camera. It shoots great video, it's small, and it actually records pretty decent sound considering it's actually a still camera with video capability as a bonus.

So if you have a P&S camera which will shoot video, buy a good mount and experiment. After fooling around with my rig, I'm quite sure I don't want to take it up a notch, so a GoPro is not on my near term horizon.

If in the future your existing P&S camera doesn't meet your long term requirements, then you can always buy a GoPro camera and use the mount you just purchased.

6. 24000rpm

24000rpm F1 Rookie

at this point , im going for go pro , but not sure where and how to mount the camera if I need to record the dashboard...

7. Crawler

Crawler F1 Veteran

Jul 2, 2006
    Are you saying that you want to be able to record the instrument panel at the same time that you record what's going on outside? That's a tall order.

8. schao

schao Formula Junior

Mar 31, 2013
    Palm Beach, FL
    Full Name:
    S Chao
    Take a look at this. Camera is separate from recording unit, can easily mount camera wherever you want and it's small. Recording unit is very robust. I have this, used in rain, HD quality, runs on 4 AA batteries.

https://vio-pov.com/pov-hd

9. 24000rpm

24000rpm F1 Rookie

ah ha, no, only the instrument panel, nothing else.

10. Nurburgringer

Nurburgringer F1 World Champ

Jan 3, 2009
    Texass
    This little guy takes really nice 720p video and can be attached with velcro almost anywhere:
    Mini DVR 808 16 V3 Lens D Car Key Chain Micro Camera HD 720P Pocket Camcorder | eBay

I use one on my RC planes. Youtube has side-by-side comparisons with GoPros, and while GoPros are definitely better they're not 10x better, and if one of these falls off the outside of your car it's a lot less painful than if it's a GoPro.

11. Falcon Wing

Falcon Wing Formula 3

Aug 4, 2010
    Colorado Springs
  12. Nurburgringer

Jan 3, 2009
    Texass
    In addition to RC plane videos forgot I also made one with the 808 #16 "keychain" cam when I was thinking about selling my CRX.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=61Kbzmz0gDo

Just velcroed it to the bill of a baseball cap.

Also velcroed it to my helmet to record the "Milwaukee F-Chat Kart Challenge" last year:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p4g-AshdgQs

The 808's wide angle lens (Lens 'D') does have some significant "barrel distortion", but not too bad IMO considering the size and price.
    If you don't need such a wide field of view there are also A and B lens versions.
    Nice comparison here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=euJlH6HIh9c

13. NW328GTS

NW328GTS Formula 3

Nov 16, 2009
    Washington
    Full Name:
    Hal
    #14 NW328GTS, Apr 29, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 29, 2014
    I use a Replay XD. Since its just slightly larger than a lipstick tube, its easy to mount and doesn't get in the way. I especially like the 60 frames per second in 720p in sport mode.

http://replayxd.com/

14. Falcon Wing

Falcon Wing Formula 3

Aug 4, 2010
    Colorado Springs

Received this camera this week and have only messed with it a little, but it seems to do quite well and it is SMALL...literally the size of a key fob remote.
    I only seem to have about 70 min of battery time, but that could be a recording setting that I am still messing with. I did buy a 32gb SD card from BestBuy online, and a 70 min recording only took up ~6%. The wide angle lens has a nice, not distorted field of view.
    I bought a suction cup mount, and mounting base. The suction cup is SOLID when in place.

Pretty good deal for ~$50 (+$30 for the SD)

15. ProCoach

ProCoach F1 Veteran
    Owner

Sep 15, 2004
    VIR Raceway
    Full Name:
    Peter Krause
    The Mobius is pretty good, too.

16. Nurburgringer

Jan 3, 2009
    Texass
    cool! If you need more recording time some people have opened them up and swapped in a larger battery, but I never had the need.
    This guy is the worldwide expert on all "keychain cams", did such good critiques of early models the designer/manufacturer in China now pays him to help develop their latest models:
    808 Car Keys Micro Camera Review - Version #16

There's a MASSIVE thread about yours on RCgroups, some searching would net you tips/tricks and instructions on how to install a larger battery if desired.
    The ORIGINAL #16 HD keycam thread (read posts #1-#5 BEFORE posting questions) - RC Groups

Post up some vids!

17. ChipG

ChipG Formula 3

May 26, 2011
    Santa Monica, CA
    If anyone is thinking about buying a GoPro and can wait until June (2014), the new GoPro 4 will be out, it's rumored to be one heck of a little camera with frame rates up to 240 fps in 720, 120 fps in 1080 and 30 fps in full 4k video.

18. Beauespirit

Beauespirit Rookie

May 4, 2014
    Ferrari of North America is trying to clear out their telemetric units which comes with 2 cameras and a recording unit. They are extremely cheap right now. I would contact one of the dealers here and inquire about it.

19. Nurburgringer

Jan 3, 2009
    Texass
    Holy crap. I've been dying to get a 720p/240fps+ camera for years.
    My 3 year old Lumix ZS20 does 240fps, but only at 320 x 240 res. Still looks very cool but 720p would be AWESOME
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_fSWcaqRvB0

Several times I've almost pulled the trigger on a Lumiz FZ200 mainly because it can do 240fps at 640x480, but 720p (1280x720) is a BIG step up.
    Once GoPro comes out with 720p@240fps it should be appearing in bridge-type cameras soon.
    Of course in 10 years we'll have 10,000fps in 4K resolution and will laugh at the primitive cameras we have now... but right now it's amazing what's out there!