Fewer Ferrari Owners Tracking their cars | FerrariChat

Fewer Ferrari Owners Tracking their cars

Discussion in 'Tracking & Driver Education' started by Foncool, May 8, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Foncool

Foncool Formula Junior

Oct 27, 2011
    #1 Foncool, May 8, 2014
    Last edited: May 8, 2014
    There seems to be a trend over the past few years that fewer Ferrari owners are tracking their cars. There was a time when owners looked forward to getting out on the track and exercising their Ferraris.

All one has to do is go to any FCA event to notice that the fields are half of what they were 5 to 7 years ago. There was an open letter posted in the Mid-Atlantic section recently from the Chief Instructor for this year's Annual Meet encouraging more owners to track their cars.

Only owners of Challenge cars are running on the track, where are the 458, 599, F12 and California owners? When new there were always Testarossa, Maranello, 355, 360 etc. owners out on the track. Any thoughts as to why fewer Ferrari owners are tracking their cars?

2. Heat Seeker WS6

Heat Seeker WS6 Formula 3

Nov 4, 2003
    Milwaukee, WI
    Full Name:
    John G
    From what it seems there is more concern of diminished value and excessive wear vs non-tracked cars.

3. ktr6

ktr6 Formula Junior

Mar 25, 2011
    Knoxville, TN
    Full Name:
    Keith
    I personally don't put my fcar on track because I have a cheaper dedicated race car instead. The thought of putting my fcar into a wall somewhere makes me cringe and any kind of repair is really expensive.

4. turbos7903

turbos7903 F1 Rookie

Mar 16, 2006
    delaware
    Full Name:
    jon walton
    I agree with the above. Why track my six figure Scud when my 25k replacement cost Lotus Elise provides 90% of the fun
    And upkeep is 10% the cost. Simple math. Jon in Delaware

5. Rob in Potomac

Rob in Potomac Formula Junior

Mar 3, 2006
    Potomac, MD
    Full Name:
    Robert
    There is no question that there are fewer Ferrari's on the track - we used to have dozens at FOW events at Summit Point. I have no idea where these cars or drivers are. I continued to track my 360 at PCA events until about two years ago - switching to a dedicated GT3.

As I expect to be instructing at the Nationals this year, I am hoping that Ferrari owners will take advantage of the Summit Point track next month.

Rob in Potomac

6. Heat Seeker WS6

Nov 4, 2003
    Milwaukee, WI
    Full Name:
    John G
    I instructed at the FCA 50th at RA last year and I'd say it was a great turnout of cars I thought. So great to see them out, even with them not being pushed in the non-advanced groups

7. italiancars

italiancars F1 Rookie

Apr 18, 2004
    Hershey, PA
    There was a time when only Ferraris were permitted to track at FCA events.

8. Rob in Potomac

Rob in Potomac Formula Junior

Mar 3, 2006
    Potomac, MD
    Full Name:
    Robert
    Still the case, only Ferrari's.

9. Rothbauer_Racing

Rothbauer_Racing Formula Junior

Jan 11, 2007
    Planet Earth
    Full Name:
    Röthbauer Racing GmbH
    Down here in Houston we see next to none due to the Fact that FCA does not push hard to do Track Events. We are lucky to do once a year under FCA and we do get a lot of Ferrari's. I track my car 8 weekends a year and I only see one (SW) from Austin out with his Ferrari at the Track? So many Ferrari's in the Houston/Austin area that love to show and shine but that is now why I got my car.

I got my Ferrari to go fast and learn what it's like to drive a Ferrari Fast, why own something you can never use in the manor it was designed? I keep within my budget when I got my F355 as I knew it would require higer maintance to track. We are all different and buy for different reasons that is for sure...

10. italiancars

italiancars F1 Rookie

Apr 18, 2004
    Hershey, PA
    Ferraris is correct for a multiple number of cars. <There were a lot of Ferraris on the track> Ferrari's is the possessive form for a reference to a single car. <It is that Ferrari's part>

11. kverges

kverges F1 Rookie

Nov 18, 2003
    Dallas
    Full Name:
    Keith Verges
    IMO the modern Ferrari buyer is purchasing a fashion accessory. And it really is not fair to single out Ferrari owners - it's true of most exotics, Viper and even Corvette.

Plus, and perhaps especially Ferrari, track time is toxic to resale value and for some reason it also seems most Ferrari owners are worried more about selling than enjoying in the here & now.

12. Midnight Oil

Midnight Oil Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 29, 2006
    I agree about the fashion statement comment in many way, though disagree about vetts and certainly not Porche's(though some may not call them exotics). To me a Porche GT3 is certainly and exotic and certainly you see tons of owners tracking them.

I think a lot of the reasons are due to what you state in your second paragraph, as well as the exspense of tracking a Ferrari, compared to say something like a gt3 or vette.

It's sad to me, because the brand is largely built on the premise of its racing heritage.

13. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    The demographics of Ferrari buyer/owners has changed a bunch. Our area used to have big track events. It has gotten to the point that there isn't enough participation from just the club to rent a track.

As an example of changing demographics the last club only track event I attended (not counting national meets) the average age of entrants had to have been in their 60's, probably mid to late 60's. The same people that had been doing it for years and years. Younger owners prefer social events.

14. fatbillybob

fatbillybob Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 10, 2002
    socal
    Which is a farce. There is no bigger ticking time bomb than a low mile garage queen.

15. fatbillybob

Consultant Owner

Aug 10, 2002
    socal
    Because it isn't a Ferrari. If you were really worried about math you should not own either and track a miata.

16. Caeruleus11

Caeruleus11 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 11, 2013
    Kevin, I think you are right. And this is due to the increasing sticker price. So many owners are interested in owning the latest/ greatest and then cycling out of it with minimal financial hit and then on to the next one. The driving experience is secondary. You're right that's sad, but thats how it is. Ferrari is in the business of making money, not putting their street cars on track. By that metric they are having a record time.

17. fatbillybob

Consultant Owner

Aug 10, 2002
    socal
    Agreed! Fashion! It is the time of the Faux man. That's not bad just the way it is. You and I are racers with a few chipped teeth in our gearboxes.

18. Kevin Rev'n

Kevin Rev'n Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 29, 2009
    Honolulu
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    I would try it if there were one near me. I would love to know where the margins are for my car because as it stands now I have no idea.

19. ktr6

ktr6 Formula Junior

Mar 25, 2011
    Knoxville, TN
    Full Name:
    Keith
    #19 ktr6, May 8, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Excellent idea but I will keep the 348!
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

20. Heat Seeker WS6

Nov 4, 2003
    Milwaukee, WI
    Full Name:
    John G
    I think the local SCCA has autocross at Aloha Stadium SCCA Hawaii Region

21. kverges

kverges F1 Rookie

Nov 18, 2003
    Dallas
    Full Name:
    Keith Verges
    You see more Corvettes and Porsches on track because there are more of them. I suspect a slightly higher percentage of GT3s make it to track than 458s, but there are plenty of poseurs in those, too.

Now I will admit that I don't use my nice street cars as track cars, but every one does go on track.

And to never track a sports car is to simply miss one essential facet of driving it. A crime against nature so great that IMO you don't deserve the car

22. fatbillybob

Consultant Owner

Aug 10, 2002
    socal
    "to never track a sports car is to simply miss one essential facet of driving it. A crime against nature so great that IMO you don't deserve the car"

I think I just found my new signature

23. 360gtracer

360gtracer Formula 3

May 18, 2004
    So true. In its "heyday", Ferrari of Washington had to open its track events up to other marques just to cover the costs. Wise business decision, but not much fun when there were members of other marque clubs coming in and taking advantage of the situation.

That FoW no longer hosts track events probably is not a direct result of those incidents, but nevertheless, I can't blame them for not wanting to be bothered.

24. Beauespirit

Beauespirit Rookie

May 4, 2014
    I think more and more people are worried about devaluation of their cars. In fact the majority are worried to put any miles on their car because of it.

25. Heat Seeker WS6

Nov 4, 2003
    Milwaukee, WI
    Full Name:
    John G
    #25 Heat Seeker WS6, May 9, 2014
    Last edited: May 9, 2014
    I'll add this- when I instruct (at Road America) those who have never tracked before, one of the most gratifying things is when someone experiences their car like they never have before and just has tons of fun with it going forward knowing they have further enjoyed it. Even if not being tracked at its full potential, there's that s*** eating grin and sheer enjoyment that outweigh the fear of mileage and devaluation. To run the car up through the gears hear the car sing its song, experience the braking and fluid handling characteristics on a proper tarmac for which they were designed to do is something that the owners owe it to themselves to experience.