Instructor killed at Summit Point today | FerrariChat

Instructor killed at Summit Point today

Discussion in 'Tracking & Driver Education' started by Heat Seeker WS6, Jun 8, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Heat Seeker WS6

Heat Seeker WS6 Formula 3

Nov 4, 2003
    Milwaukee, WI
    Full Name:
    John G
  2. GuyIncognito

GuyIncognito Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
  3. robert biscan

robert biscan F1 Veteran

Jan 17, 2003
    Nashville and Palm b
    Full Name:
    robert s biscan
    It just happens so fast. Sad news for sure.

4. ARTNNYC

ARTNNYC F1 Rookie
    Owner

Jul 8, 2005
    NYC, FL
    Full Name:
    Jerome
    you can hit a tree at a racetrack?

5. GuyIncognito

Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
    at summit point you can :(

(and a number of other second tier tracks...Blackhawk Farms, CMP, etc)

6. Jack-the-lad

Jack-the-lad Six Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 22, 2004
    Moot Pointe
    Just awful. I always worried about this when I was instructing. Condolences to all involved.

7. ktr6

ktr6 Formula Junior

Mar 25, 2011
    Knoxville, TN
    Full Name:
    Keith
    Another reminder that this can be a dangerous hobby. Important for all of us to take responsibility for ourselves and make sure the tracks do as well. If anyone has any interest there is a Motorsport Safety Foundation that you can get involved with.

8. Nospinzone

Nospinzone F1 Veteran

Jul 1, 2013
    Weston, MA
    Full Name:
    Paul
    To echo GuyIncognito, you can hit a tree on every turn at this track -

NYST on Vimeo

9. ARTNNYC

ARTNNYC F1 Rookie
    Owner

Jul 8, 2005
    NYC, FL
    Full Name:
    Jerome
    yikes!

10. Heat Seeker WS6

Nov 4, 2003
    Milwaukee, WI
    Full Name:
    John G
    Holy smokes! Not sure Id want to track there. However I dig the Stilo helmet :)

11. cuneo

cuneo Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 20, 2006
    Ummmmmm, why don't they just cut a bunch of trees down?? This seems like a pretty easy fix.

12. fatbillybob

fatbillybob Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 10, 2002
    socal
    RIP. In car driving instructors are brave people.

13. lcworld

lcworld Formula Junior

Dec 25, 2013
    #13 lcworld, Jun 9, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  14. atomicskiracer

atomicskiracer Formula 3

Mar 30, 2005
    Full Name:
    Ryan
    #14 atomicskiracer, Jun 9, 2014
    Last edited: Jun 9, 2014
    I did not witness it directly, but this is what i heard:

It was the owners car (GTO) not a rented exotic, he had signed up for multiple hyperdrive sessions. These are typically supposed $50 sessions with an instructor to be an "intro" for those thinking about getting into tracking to get a feel of the experience. From a safety perspective there are minimal requirements, you do not need harnesses/race seats.

This was with NASA although it was not a NASA instructor, and I believe that rules will be changing because of this incident.

Rest in Peace.

15. staatsof

staatsof Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 13, 2005
    Fuggetaboutitland
    Full Name:
    Bob
    +1

I don't understand why people agree to climbing into a car with a complete stranger and then try to go around a racetrack instructing them how to do it.

I really like Summit Point but there have been a number of fatalities there. I don't know if it's the course or the type of events it attracts?

Deer and groundhogs come out onto that track as well. Can't you fence against that? :(

16. GuyIncognito

Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
    animals are hard to completely fence out of a circuit...a number of tracks I've been at, including Road Atlanta and Road America, have given warnings in drivers meetings about animals wandering on track (usually the protocol is for the track to go yellow or red, depending on what and where the problem is). remember DaMatta's crash at Road America a few years back, or this incident at Summit:

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n8FBxS-00xU]Hyperfest 2012: "Some guy hit a deer" (c) - YouTube[/ame]

as to Summit Point, it like many other second tier tracks have not had massive safety reviews since the 60s or 70s, and track owners don't have budgets to spend on knocking down trees, paving gravel traps and runoffs, building proper fences and tire walls, so at those facilities the danger factor is really high.

tracks built in the last 20 years are pretty safe as they have those measures designed in from the start, and first tier tracks (anything with a pro series running there) have the budgets, and mandates, for upgrades; but the smaller club tracks are stuck between a rock and a hard place.

maybe a solution is a fund gets started (similar to Snell) to fund upgrading those tracks, it could be funded by sanctioning bodies, racers, etc.

17. ARTNNYC

ARTNNYC F1 Rookie
    Owner

Jul 8, 2005
    NYC, FL
    Full Name:
    Jerome
    the car that crashed was a GTO?

18. GuyIncognito

Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
  19. WILLIAM H

WILLIAM H Three Time F1 World Champ

Nov 1, 2003
    Victory Circle
    Full Name:
    HUBBSTER
    Nurburgring is second tier now ?

20. CornersWell

CornersWell F1 Rookie

Nov 24, 2004
    Summit has been my home track for a long time now, and, on occasion, incidents do occur. Especially at T3 (I can think of several off the top of my head). The run-off has been improved and trees taken back, as a result. Could they be taken back farther? Possibly. But, honestly, this isn't a basket weaving class. Racing has risks, and it's good to know the track can bite back. Summit, like many tracks, is deserving of respect and doesn't have some vast wasteland of run-off outside of every corner like many modern tracks do. That's not to say that a fatality is desirable in any way, but if a driver doesn't respect their own limitations...

Further, while I know a little about Hyperfest, I'm not familiar with its safety requirements. I don't think cars are required to be caged. They're also most likely not using proper harnesses or other safety gear. Some of the cars I've seen even look like they're ready to disintegrate. That's not necessarily unique, as cars I've seen pass tech in HSR, SVRA, VRG and other series look suspicious to me, and, often, I'm dodging tools and other debris falling out of cars for the first few sessions. Regardless, events such as these (as sad as they are) are good opportunities to re-evaluate whether changes need to happen. That said, too many changes have already made track events less enjoyable. I can't imagine that trend will be reversed.

CW

21. GuyIncognito

Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
    when did I mention Nurburgring? or, for that matter, when was the last time someone hit a tree at Nurburgring (without going through a safety fence, tire wall, etc first?)

the fatality at Hyperfest was in a beginner's HPDE class at Jefferson Circuit; I assume it was in a road car with no harnesses, cage, etc.

22. davem

davem F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2002
    Stepford, Connecticut
    Full Name:
    dave m
    New York Safety Track kinda ironic.

23. Heat Seeker WS6

Nov 4, 2003
    Milwaukee, WI
    Full Name:
    John G
    #23 Heat Seeker WS6, Jun 9, 2014
    Last edited: Jun 9, 2014
    The last thing you want to do in any type of HPDE at a track is send out novices by themselves, especially the big & fast tracks since bad ju-ju happens real real fast.

With instructing (at least with me) there is no arbitrarily climbing into stranger's cars looking for hotlaps. For myself and the vast majority of other instructors out there its a methodical process since we want to go home in one piece too. Absolute speed/laptime is not the objective, driving technique, being on the proper driving line and learning how to negotiate traffic is.

I instruct at Road America with several different events and have been in many cars since 2000. Here's a typical event for me- When I get assigned my driver I find them as soon as I can before their drivers meeting and introduce myself. If I can, I am next to them during that meeting. Trust is so important to have from the driver so I establish repor and then find out what if any experience they have, talk about their car and what modifications it has (brakes, motors, suspension, etc), what their expectations are and how they planned to drive the event. I also look over the whole car in depth to make sure tech didn't miss anything & look at mods. The best tool to have is a helmet to helmet intercom. There is no struggling to be heard over car and wind noise and instructions and feedback are heard the first time clearly since there very well may not be time to say whatever it is again. Keeping the driver reeled in so they don't get in over their head while out there is paramount- WE... not THEY know when its the best time to brake, turn & etc. . Its best to stick with the same student throughout the event so you can see progress and evaluate them properly and tweak them as needed. After each session, there is a 'download' session we do where we discuss the session that just concluded and see where we did good, great and areas to still work on. I'm proud to say that I've never had an off track excursion with a student.

24. CornersWell

CornersWell F1 Rookie

Nov 24, 2004
    Again, I'm not familiar with Hyperfest's organization, but at virtually each and every event I've driven at, there's been driver's meetings including discussions of the correct, racing line. There have been track walks and/or ride-alongs offered to rookie drivers or first-timers to The Point. Mostly, if you're a novice you're even REQUIRED to do check-rides with an instructor before you're cleared to go out solo. Free of charge. I don't know what certifications are required for competition licenses, but I seem to recall seeing (maybe in this thread?) that NASA is the sanctioning body. Does anyone know if NASA-licensed drivers are required to go to a competition school to get their credentials (Skip, Bondurant, etc.)?

HyperFest | The Automotive Amusement Park - HyperFest? 14 (billed as "the Automotive Amusement Park"!).

There's just really no excuse for making such a big error that results in a fatality. Worse, the driver is going to have to grapple with the fact that he killed his passenger. Hyperfest mostly isn't racing. It's "racing", like drifting. So, stuff like this ought to be totally avoidable.

CW

25. GuyIncognito

Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
    the fatality occured in a beginners HPDE course...no racing license required. I assume they did the basic racing line, etc meeting (they should per NASA rules), but put a novice on track for the first time and bad things can happen-overdriving, panicking, not listening to instructor, all of the above...