3M Paint Defender for Track Days? | FerrariChat

3M Paint Defender for Track Days?

Discussion in 'Tracking & Driver Education' started by Need4Spd, Jul 5, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Need4Spd

Need4Spd F1 Veteran

Feb 24, 2007
    Silicon Valley
  2. George Vosburgh

George Vosburgh F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

This looks like a great product, I wonder what it costs.

3. Need4Spd

Need4Spd F1 Veteran

Feb 24, 2007
    Silicon Valley

About $35 at Amazon.com.

4. cm2

cm2 Formula 3

Sep 26, 2012
    SF Bay
    Full Name:
    Nathan
    I'm happy with how xpel is holding up against rocks, and how easily rubber comes off of it... But $$$. I'd wonder how cleanly this stuff comes off.

5. Need4Spd

Need4Spd F1 Veteran

Feb 24, 2007
    Silicon Valley

Looks easy.

http://youtu.be/JkT12MvuuRA

6. rardoin

rardoin Karting

Feb 11, 2014
    Lafayette Louisiana
    Full Name:
    R Ardoin
    X-pel is pretty easy to remove....if you follow the manufacturer's suggested technique, which is easy. I removed a complete hood coverage on a Bentley GT because of a less than stellar installation and it tore off in multiple sections but It did not take more than 15 minutes and a little 3M adhesive remover to take off a few patches of residual adhesive. Definitely not a film I would use as a temporary shield for the occasional track day or autocross. The 3M spray on shield looks like it would be more practical for those applications. Also, one must be aware that these clear bras (I still have the entire front end and 1/2 fenders and rockers covered with Xpel ultimate on the Bentley) will still suffer damage that will allow penetration to the paint if the rock is large enough or you are hauling the mail behind schedule, so to speak. I have several gouges in the shield that were too deep for "self healing" and a few that did chip the underlying paint but certainly MUCH better than if I had no shield at all. The car has been up to 150mph+ on a few occasions and no shield would be immune to even a small rock strike at that speed.

7. staatsof

staatsof Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 13, 2005
    Fuggetaboutitland
    Full Name:
    Bob
    What about a dedicated track car?

I have one that I've repainted and before doing that it really did get beat up badly every time out. The thing is it does not have simple and smooth front end so it's a complex job to apply any sort of film.

That's why the spray seemed interesting to me though with all the nooks and crannies on this car I wonder about eventual removal?

Something that's even gloppy and thicker like rubber cement would be OK with me. Appearance while on the track is of no consequence to me. If I could just peel that off and it was thicker so much the better!

8. rardoin

rardoin Karting

Feb 11, 2014
    Lafayette Louisiana
    Full Name:
    R Ardoin
    Roberto,

For a dedicated track car the Xpel would be fine however it is the most expensive out there. I would look at some of the less expensive products and compare the thicknesses. The new trend is the self healing films that will self repair minor blemishes and scratches. In my opinion that would be wasted on a track car. If you will be replacing the film annually or bi-annually you will save enough money for a set of tires by using a cheaper non-healing film. And again, these films will protect well against sand/grit blasting but rocks will still occasionally penetrate the film and damage the paint but it will be Waaaaay better than no protection.