1st time on a track...! | FerrariChat

1st time on a track...!

Discussion in 'Tracking & Driver Education' started by 11506apollo, Jul 9, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. 11506apollo

11506apollo Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 16, 2008
    Tx Co Ca
    I will take the M3 on a track this Sunday. My first time on a track. will be there with three 911's from 3 budies from work. Can't wait to hear that inline 6 engine hit redline and 130 mph, and kick some 911 A$$. will post pics.

2. Crawler

Crawler F1 Veteran

Jul 2, 2006
  3. NSXLuvr

NSXLuvr Formula Junior

Oct 3, 2006
    Tx
    Full Name:
    Ritesh
    Which track? What organization?

4. kverges

kverges F1 Rookie

Nov 18, 2003
    Dallas
    Full Name:
    Keith Verges
    good luck with that - A+ for enthusiasm, but be careful lest your azz be the kickee.

5. 11506apollo

11506apollo Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 16, 2008
    Tx Co Ca
    South of Houston...MSR.

6. Canine64

Canine64 Formula Junior

Dec 18, 2005
    Beware of the "red mist"? The OP already has it and hasn't even set foot on the track. Good luck to the instructor.....

7. Crawler

Crawler F1 Veteran

Jul 2, 2006
    :)

8. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
    +1000 a humble attitude is what is needed before a first track day if you don't want this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q4Qxic6qj3E

Good luck to the OP but leave the ego and excessive expectations at home, listen to the instructor and take in what he tells you...assuming and hoping you will ride with an instructor...

MS

9. 11506apollo

11506apollo Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 16, 2008
    Tx Co Ca
    Instructor had a Lotus Elise Track car. pretty fast machine despite 240 hp "only". the other 2 cars were a 1996 993 and a new 911. I had the M3.
    He started with a good chat about breaking points, and track "manners", and other things.
    There were several fast cars on the track, like a Panoz, a couple of spec Mazdas and Spec Mustangs, and Formula cars, and a track M3. We managed to let them safely pass us on the straight sections. The instructor made us follow him for a while. then he sat with each of us, and gave us instructions about entry points, tangent lines, breaking too early, etc.
    then we each rode 3 or 4 laps with him driving his Lotus.
    All went well, except for the following:
    1- the Elise is a brutal, little SOB of a fast car, it is very small inside, and I am 6' 2" and I got very dizzy....lol. this is one of 48 built by Lotus, with 22 of them in the US. I was amazed as how late he was breaking entering a turn, compared to my break point. Of course he has racing brakes, while I had factory BMW stuff. I was hitting the breaks between 4 and 3, and he did not touch them till number 1 was crossed.
    2- I was carrying too much speed and went straight across one of the turns, over the grass, and a little bit of air borne, but came out on the other side with no issues.

Overall a very nice experience. I can't even start to imagine what FUN must be having a serious Track car and taking it to Laguna Seca, Europe, etc.
    Great stuff.

10. deeprivergarage

deeprivergarage Formula Junior
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Oct 3, 2009
    S of Fort Worth
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    Red Mist

A feeling of extreme competitiveness or anger that temporarily clouds one's judgment.

When that guy cut me off, the red mist washed over and all I could think about was catching him.

Put a bunch of buddies on fast bikes and just watch the red mist rise...

by gpTT January 10, 2004

Jerry
    DRG

11. rardoin

rardoin Karting

Feb 11, 2014
    Lafayette Louisiana
    Full Name:
    R Ardoin
    " Of course he has racing brakes, while I had factory BMW stuff. I was hitting the breaks between 4 and 3, and he did not touch them till number 1 was crossed."

With enough track/racing experience to be considered a decent instructor he could have been in your car and you in his and I challenge that he would still be braking much later than you at this point of your experience curve. BTW, stock M3 brakes are VERY good and once you spend more time and have more instruction (having an instructor drive YOUR car while you ride passenger will give you an idea of just how much you don't know....yet....but keep digging at it) your stock M3 will surprise you. Glad you had fun and brought the car back whole. Time to start planning your next track event!