Tall driver wanting instruction- please advise | FerrariChat

Tall driver wanting instruction- please advise

Discussion in 'Tracking & Driver Education' started by Adamas, Jul 12, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Adamas

Adamas F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 13, 2012
    Out of town
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Hello all- I would like to get some driving instruction so as to better understand the dynamics involved with defensive/evasive driving, and then perhaps on to tracking. My issue is that I'm 6'5" tall, and am long in the torso, so I have yet to find a car that affords me enough head room to wear a helmet, which is obviously a requirement. Any type of advise would be appreciated. Thank you. Mike

2. GuyIncognito

GuyIncognito Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
    best option will probably be a custom racing seat and modified seat tracks to get the seat as low as possible.

what car will you be using?

3. gatorgreg

gatorgreg Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 13, 2004
    NAPLES
    Mike,
    I am 6'4" 210 lbs. I found a Sparco Evo III is the best seat and bolted to the floor. I use to drive a 355 and now a 430 Challenge. I use a air hose on a Stilo helmet. I found removing the pads from the racing seats can give you the extra space.

4. Adamas

Adamas F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 13, 2012
    Out of town
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Have just traded in my 2012 458 coupe and am speccing a 2015 spider, and trying to buy another 12c (spider this time), but don't think that i want to modify either of these. I was thinking a Porsch or a Vette, but prior to actually buying a dedicated track car, I first need to get past the initial instruction part of the equation. I've spoken with a couple of driving schools, but all act perplexed, as though I'm the first one with whom they've ever spoken who had this issue. Appreciate the advice on the seats/cars, but first I need the school/instruction/instructor. Thanks, mike

5. Drive550PFB

Drive550PFB Two Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

The seats are easy to modify in an M-3 or Porsche 944, both of which can be thrashed about. I have driven both. They are lots of fun on track.

6. Rob in Potomac

Rob in Potomac Formula Junior

Mar 3, 2006
    Potomac, MD
    Full Name:
    Robert
    Are you in Baltimore county Maryland? If so, easy to get started at track. First of all, I believe you would fit in a Porsche GT3 with racing seats. As to instruction, if you have never been to the track, you can sign up for PCA Potomac HPDC (high performance driving clinic) in September, I think, at Summit Point West Virginia. It is required before you are are able to drive in the D.E.'s run by Potomac PCA. Once you sign up for a D.E. you will receive plenty of instruction from experienced and certified instructors.

Rob in Potomac

7. Rosso328

Rosso328 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 11, 2006
    Central FL
    Full Name:
    Paul
    You might also give Skip Barber a call and talk to them about what cars you could fit in.

I recall doing an intro to racing school with them years ago and they had specifically reserved one of their MX-5's for an especially tall driver. Had the seat rails moved back a couple of inches.

For the Performance Driving School I did with them before that, the skid pad and defensive driving pieces didn't require helmets. The on track portions did, but I was able to lower the seat all the way down and back and had loads of room - combination of 911's and Boxsters back then.

8. Joeyung

Joeyung Karting

Mar 9, 2011
    Kentucky
    I am 6'4" and also a long torso, 34 length pants for comparison. I tracked my Italia and now Speciale with a helmet no problem. When tracking I would move the seat all the way forward until my left knee was wedged against the dash by the brake button. You will want to do this anyway to get a better angle on the steering wheel and so you have something to brace against when braking. At this point you can adjust the rake of the seatback as much as necessary so you head and helmet fit. Its not the most comfortable position but it seems like on the track you forget about that pretty quick.

9. Adamas

Adamas F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 13, 2012
    Out of town
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Thanks Joe (and the rest) for the input.

Best

Mike

10. GaryR

GaryR Formula 3

Dec 11, 2006
    Valencia, Spain
    Full Name:
    Gary R.
    Mike - If you really want to learn to drive my advice is to buy an inexpensive, low powered track-prepped car and start doing Driver's Education events. For me that would be an older 911 or 944 (before anti-lock or other nannies) from or through a shop that supports race cars and knows how to set a car up. Even an early Boxster would be ok as the mid-engine balance approximates our cars. Low power is key, once you are fast in a low power car you will understand dynamics and be ready for more power. Most shops will store, transport, and support you at the track if you don't want to deal with it.. I say go Porsche because PCA is enormous and throughout the US has a DE schedule second to none, You can virtually go to an event just about every day of the year! You would start in the Green group, be expected to know 0, and be instructed by a PCA certified instructor (I admit to being one). Progress through the ranks is 100% up to your dedication and ability. I strongly feel this is a great way to learn, meet a lot of new friends, and have a blast doing it!