helmet | FerrariChat

helmet

Discussion in 'Tracking & Driver Education' started by 11506apollo, Jul 14, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. 11506apollo

11506apollo Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 16, 2008
    Tx Co Ca
    Can someone guide me to a website where I can purchase a safety helmet for the track? thanks.

2. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    I'd use a Simpson.

Factory store is in New Bransfels...but you really need to try them to determine the size.

Maybe ProAm on Richmond and Greenridge is a dealer?
    Not sure, but I know they handle the clothing line....call them

3. 11506apollo

11506apollo Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 16, 2008
    Tx Co Ca
    Thanks Bubba

4. kverges

kverges F1 Rookie

Nov 18, 2003
    Dallas
    Full Name:
    Keith Verges
    #4 kverges, Jul 14, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 14, 2014
    I wear a Simpson but I'd shop around for optimum fit, as Bell, Arai, Gforce and others make fine helmets. To me, a good fit and low mass are critical.

And for a web site, try saferacer.com and helmetcity.com

5. fluque

fluque Formula 3

Jul 30, 2004
    Above 2240m
    Full Name:
    Fernando
  6. Gran Drewismo

Gran Drewismo F1 Rookie

Jan 24, 2005
    Idaho
    Full Name:
    Andrew
  7. Canine64

Canine64 Formula Junior

Dec 18, 2005
    Stilo carbon fiber FTW. You know, so you can kick some 911 "Azz"...

8. Mozella

Mozella Formula Junior

Mar 24, 2013
    Piemonte, Italia
    Buying a helmet isn't easy. They're expensive and come in many styles, sizes, colors, and safety ratings. That means that a well stocked shop will have a HUGE investment in inventory. You may have to search to find such a shop.

A good fit is VERY important, so buying one on-line is a bit risky. If you do, be SURE you can return your purchase if it doesn't fit properly.

I think a good helmet is important and I always choke a bit when purchasing a new one because good helmets are expensive. But, I've also tested my motorcycle helmets a time or two against the pavement and my auto racing helmets a time or two against the roll bar without any apparent " dane-brammage", so I think it's money well spent.

9. CornersWell

CornersWell F1 Rookie

Nov 24, 2004
    You can also try discoveryparts.com and saferacer.com.

CW

10. V8ray

V8ray Formula Junior

Jun 18, 2013
    Full Name:
    Ray
    +1

Beautiful helmet

11. Heat Seeker WS6

Heat Seeker WS6 Formula 3

Nov 4, 2003
    Milwaukee, WI
    Full Name:
    John G
  12. GuyIncognito

GuyIncognito Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
    great point, make sure whatever you buy is pre-drilled for whatever neck restraint you'll be using (I'd highly recommend HANS, but there are other good ones).

pre-drilled or even pre-wired for headset/mic is nice as well. Stilo sells one ready to plug in to a radio IIRC.

13. Rosso328

Rosso328 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 11, 2006
    Central FL
    Full Name:
    Paul
    As others have noted, fit is critical, and different models and brands fit a bit differently. a "Large" Bell will fit a bit different than a "Large" Stilo.

I have gone through Saferacer.com in the past. They made it very easy for me to try a couple of different sizes, keep the one that fit and return the others no problem.

14. speedsport

speedsport Formula Junior

Mar 14, 2013
    IL/WI
    Full Name:
    Michael
    There is no way you can purchase a proper fitting helmet your first time via the internet. Every manufacture's helmets fit differently. Some people's heads are Bell heads, some Simpson, some Arai, ect. Every brand fits different shaped heads differently. You need to find someone local who stocks different brands to try them for yourself. Keep in mind that most people who have never wore a helmet before always choose one that fits too loose because it's more comfortable.

Forget what the "cool" helmet of the day is.....get one that fits right.

For example, my head really only fits properly in a Bell. I can't even get the largest Stilo or Arai on.

15. innerloop

innerloop Formula Junior

Jan 17, 2010
    Houston Heights, TX
    #15 innerloop, Jul 15, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    This is the guy I used a couple of years ago.

Custom Helmet Painting by Mike for your Ferrari, Viper, Porsche, BMW, Corvette, or other sports car or racing race car

He has stock designs or he'll work with you to come up with your own design. Mine is supposed to be a combination of Senna and Colin Braun with some Ferrari red thrown in.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

16. Mozella

Mozella Formula Junior

Mar 24, 2013
    Piemonte, Italia
    I used to use Simpson when I was auto racing in the U.S. and, like you, I could never find an Arai which would even come close to fitting. They were always too small and, in the U.S. at least, my racing friends all told me that people with large heads should forget Arai. They were wrong, as it turns out.

Now I live in Italy and both my wife and I use Arai helmets for motorcycle riding. I learned that Arai has four different shell sizes and at least two different shell shapes (round head vs longer narrower face). They even have different shapes for Europe, Asia, and the Americas. I have a large head which is also quite oval, but I was able to find a good fitting Arai in Italy. Apparently, it all depends on the availability of different models at different shops in different countries.

As I said before, a well stocked helmet shop will have a significant amount of money tied up in inventory because there are so many brands, styles, sizes, and options.

17. Heat Seeker WS6

Nov 4, 2003
    Milwaukee, WI
    Full Name:
    John G
    I'm lucky to work & live minutes from Pegasus Racing. Always gotten my stuff from there and when it came to the new helmet, it took some time tying on different sizes, brands & styles but the Bell I ended up with just feels right.

18. GregD

GregD Formula Junior

Nov 3, 2003
    California
    Full Name:
    Greg
    +1.. A nice light weight helmet that properly fits your head.
    When you try them on, the light weight is very noticeable
    and more comfortable .. I think the extra cost is worth the
    Trade off on your neck...

19. V8ray

V8ray Formula Junior

Jun 18, 2013
    Full Name:
    Ray
    #19 V8ray, Jul 16, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  20. sainthoo

sainthoo Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 20, 2007
    Full Name:
    Christian
    I'll add to the growing chorus- get the helmet that fits your head, forget what a buddy might have. I have exchanged helmets through saferacer as others mentioned, no problem.

I have had a Bell, Sparco, and I just bought a Stilo which arrived today. The Stilo is definitely smaller than the others, but the built in radio, water and air is sure gonna be nice. I also like the built in noise suppression in the Stilo. Haven't had it on track to confirm the initial impression.
    If you are willing to spend the money, get carbon fiber, the light weight is really nice.
    If you have harnesses, get a Hans, otherwise look into some sort of restraint that works with your car (some attach to your torso, don't need the harness, I think).

21. fatbillybob

fatbillybob Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 10, 2002
    socal

I second helmetcity. Very good customer service. I like saferacer.com too and they give SCCA racers a discount on some stuff.

*******Also, the snell rating changes in 2015 to SA2015 or SAH2015.

22. ProCoach

ProCoach F1 Veteran
    Owner

Sep 15, 2004
    VIR Raceway
    Full Name:
    Peter Krause
    Yeah, but the 2010 spec wasn't generally available until 2012!

23. Schatten

Schatten F1 World Champ
    Owner

Apr 3, 2001
    Austin, TX
    Full Name:
    Randy
    Claudio, where in Texas are you? If you are in Austin, Winding Road Racing is off of 183 near Ohlen Rd. They carry many brands and have Stilos in stock. Otherwise, off to New Braunfels to visit the Simpson factory.

24. No Doubt

No Doubt Seven Time F1 World Champ

May 21, 2005
    Vegas+Alabama
    Full Name:
    Mr. Sideways
    This helmet just needs a webcam and GoPro option:
    [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZdcWd594lRw]SKULLY AR-1: Rebel Innovation - YouTube[/ame]

25. Heat Seeker WS6

Nov 4, 2003
    Milwaukee, WI
    Full Name:
    John G
    Whoah that's pretty slick! Would also be an expensive oopsey if dropped on accident.