Trailer Dolly's? | FerrariChat

Trailer Dolly's?

Discussion in 'Tracking & Driver Education' started by luvair, Aug 5, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. luvair

luvair Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 4, 2005
    Anyone have experience with a powered trailer dolly to maneuver your tandem trailer in very tight storage parking spots?

This is one example:

Powermovers | MOVING MADE EASY

2. Pantera1523

Pantera1523 Formula Junior

Mar 17, 2004
    Virginia
    Full Name:
    Scott Carpenter
    I recently bought one of these to turn my enclosed trailer around in the driveway. It was a little pricey but it works as advertised. I am very happy with it.

Parkit360 Power Dolly

3. luvair

luvair Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 4, 2005
    Scott,

Thank you for the info. I was also looking at the parkit360.

Ques, pls.

1) What is the approx weight of your trailer?

2) What is the length?

3) Does it have an aluminum frame?

4) While using the dolly, does it required much muscle from you? Is it safe to use on virtually level ground?

5) Which model "parkit" did you purchase?

Many thanks.

4. Pantera1523

Mar 17, 2004
    Virginia
    Full Name:
    Scott Carpenter
    I'll try to answer them all.. :) I have a Trailex aluminum enclosed trailer. So far I have only moved it empty but I bought the Park-it version that was rated to move a 9,800 lb trailer so I have no doubt it will move mine with a car in it, no problem.

1. Empty ~2,400 lbs gross 7,000 lbs.

2. I believe 22 feet long, I have the smaller of the two enclosed trailers that Trailex offers. I did go for the 12" higher roof though.

3. Yes it is all aluminum.

4. Not too much muscle. I bought the EZ-Connect unit that they offer as an additional accessory. For me it seemed a bit more stable and it is much faster to hook up and unhook. I am able to pretty easily swing the Park-It back and forth to turn the trailer.

5. I bought the one rated for 9,800 lbs so looking at their website that is the P360L.

In my case I have a decent parking area for my trailer but it is too tight to turn around my pickup truck and trailer. So that is why I looked into a dolly solution. When I bought my Trailex I purchased the hand dolly that they sell. One attempt to spin the trailer around with me and my wife both pushing and pulling was a 45 minute exercise in futility. We got it turned around but she immediately said buy a powered dolly. :)

She timed me turning the trailer around using the Park-It. I believe total time to hook it up turn it around, back it in to where it needs to park and unhook and put the Park-It away was about 6 minutes.

Absolutely money well spent!

I do have a slight incline on the driveway mainly just a slight grade to direct rain runoff, maybe 1-2 degrees. The Park-It handles that with ease. It feels completely safe and stable on my driveway.

Hope this helps.

Scott

5. luvair

luvair Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 4, 2005
    Scott,

Very kind of you to take the time with a detailed response! Its extremely helpful for me, and hopefully others.

I planning to buy the Trailex enclosed, but the lower height model.

CTE-84180

So with your advise, it solves me backing up in a narrow somewhat twisty driveway. I plan to order the trailer in the winter and will buy that dolly. Many thanks.

Best,

6. Pantera1523

Mar 17, 2004
    Virginia
    Full Name:
    Scott Carpenter
    You're welcome! I hope it works out for you.

Btw that is the same trailer I bought. I love it!

7. luvair

luvair Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 4, 2005
    Scott,

You wouldn't believe it, I have one more question:

Are you able to move the trailer, using the dolly, with one of your cars inside?

Glad you like the trailer. To me, only downside are the ramps, but nothing is perfect.

BTW, I love your Pantera!

8. Pantera1523

Mar 17, 2004
    Virginia
    Full Name:
    Scott Carpenter
    I have not tried to move it with the car in it yet... Though I have no doubt it will work just fine.

We are currently having our basement painted so the trailer is being used as a makeshift storage container. So it is loaded down with a bunch of book cases, books, file cabinets and some furniture. I was able to move it loaded with this stuff with the Park-it with no problem. I didn't move it far.. Just had to move it around a bit to be able to get the ramps out for a bit. Then moved it back to park it again. Worked perfectly so I assume it will be fine with a car.

BTW I completely agree about the ramps, I do wish it had a traditional fold down door that becomes a large wide ramp like most other trailers. I suspect that the shorter height of the Trailex trailers would make this type of door too steep to be used as a ramp.

The only thing I have noticed is that when you go to open the rear door up make sure you have a good grip... It will almost launch you in the air if you aren't careful. :)

I still love the trailer and would definitely buy another without hesitation if for some reason I had to replace this one.

Thanks! I love the Pantera as well. I really need to drive it more.

9. jdsawlor

jdsawlor Rookie

Oct 17, 2016
    Pantera1523, how did you like the speed of your Parkit unit? Did you find it a Overwhelmingly noisy?

The EZ connect design is only good if you are pull the trailer toward you and not good when pushing the trailer backwards as the legs of the EZ Connect flip up when backing up.

I have a TRAX power dolly, it's super quiet and moves my trailer at my desired speed. It has a high and low speed select and has an average speed of 40 feet per minute at slow and 188 feet per minute at fast. I know Parkit says at best they can go at 30 feet per minute.

As far as the trailer connection is concerned the TRAX dolly is very easy to connect and it's far more stable than the forever tightening and turing of the Parkit ball stand. No need for expensive addons like the Parkit's EZ Connect. The TRAX motor and transmission is amazingly quiet and yet very powerful. I've found two videos on their website showing how easy it is to connect and how powerful it is to spin a tandem axel trailer on the spot effortlessly.

https://traxpowerdolly.com/videos

10. pietro

pietro Karting

Dec 24, 2011
    So Cal
    Take a look at the Trailer Valet. I've got one and it works well with my Trailex inclosed trailer. If you have any questions feel free to PM me.

11. twist-a-grip

twist-a-grip Karting

Oct 25, 2013
    I just checked these out - looks pretty slick. Also noted your Fchat handle is the same as the Sales and Marketing guy on the Trax website. You should have probably disclosed that fact if you do work for them.