Not Ferrari, but here is a McLaren F1 at TWS... | FerrariChat

Not Ferrari, but here is a McLaren F1 at TWS...

Discussion in 'Tracking & Driver Education' started by JasonHartRacing, Sep 17, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. JasonHartRacing

Feb 2, 2010
    Flower Mound, TX
    Full Name:
    Jason Hart
  2. kverges

kverges F1 Rookie

Nov 18, 2003
    Dallas
    Full Name:
    Keith Verges
    Bait and switch! In any event getting with the program to do that on street tires.

3. GuyIncognito

GuyIncognito Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
    now you just need to drive a 918 and LaFa at TWS :)

nice video, thanks for sharing.

4. JasonHartRacing

Feb 2, 2010
    Flower Mound, TX
    Full Name:
    Jason Hart
    Working on 918...that will likely happen. LaFa might be a different story...don't currently know an owner of one of those. I imagine the 918 will be very similar...not sure on LaFa.

5. Heat Seeker WS6

Heat Seeker WS6 Formula 3

Nov 4, 2003
    Milwaukee, WI
    Full Name:
    John G
    Great video! Bring it up north to my neck of the woods (Elkhart Lake) for 'further evaluation'! ;)

6. crinoid

crinoid F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 2, 2005
    Full Name:
    LaCrinoid
    This isn't an F1.

7. JasonHartRacing

Feb 2, 2010
    Flower Mound, TX
    Full Name:
    Jason Hart
    Opps, sorry about the F1 P1 mix up...

8. 95spiderman

95spiderman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    ny
    Anyone have other cars times/speeds at tws for comparison?

9. JasonHartRacing

Feb 2, 2010
    Flower Mound, TX
    Full Name:
    Jason Hart
    Here are some class records on rennpoints:
    PCA Class Records
    Porsche GT3 Cup Times: GTC4 1:44.2

I did a 1:51.xxx in a 991 GT3 with a track alignment, street tires and exhaust 2 weeks before.

Being a turbo car and with the track heat this day I am expecting a few seconds faster in the next outing. We learned a lot about tire temps/pressures this go around and will see how it develops soon enough. Incredible car if your resources allow. J

10. rob lay

rob lay Administrator
    Staff Member Admin Miami 2018 Owner

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    What did Ron end up going in ST2, I think my best time ST3 or ST2 was 1:48-49 in the 355 Challenge. 1:47 fast as heck for a street car!

11. 95spiderman

Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    ny
    so p1 at 1.47 is in between cup car and street. i would have expected more from it. closer to cup times

12. JasonHartRacing

Feb 2, 2010
    Flower Mound, TX
    Full Name:
    Jason Hart
  13. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    1:47 is close to cup time. that is the lap record. most cup cars run in the 1:46-1:50 range. also Jason just got a few laps with a passenger, let him have 10 years of history 4 race weekends a year with 20 competitors going for gold, then I bet the lap would be a little faster than 1:47. ;) Jason is one of the best drivers in our area, so not a case of the driver holding the car back. More just case of few laps and not a competitive situation.

14. JasonHartRacing

Feb 2, 2010
    Flower Mound, TX
    Full Name:
    Jason Hart
    A few factors at play...
    -This was the cars first time driven anywhere as it was delivered to the track.
    -I did the quick lap on lap 1, having never driven one of these cars.
    -We learned a lot about tire temps/pressures which will help us next time out.
    -The TWS PCA race is usually in Mar at around 60-70ish degrees with many cars putting down rubber in the track.
    -Data is pointing us a few seconds lower when we go again in cooler weather.
    -Time included a full tank of gas and a passenger.
    -We only utilized DRS (and not efficiently due to admitted driver newness) on the front straight. Next time out we will utilize it on as many straights as worthwhile.

Just a few items to consider, not to mention the responsibility in driving a car of this magnitude...all magnitudes implied. J

15. NSXLuvr

NSXLuvr Formula Junior

Oct 3, 2006
    Tx
    Full Name:
    Ritesh
    LOL.....You can't be serious.

Great video Jason. Thanks.

16. kverges

kverges F1 Rookie

Nov 18, 2003
    Dallas
    Full Name:
    Keith Verges
    In day 2 of testing the new Gen3 Spec Racer Ford one car broke 1:50 on Pirelli Slicks. Tires make a huge difference and no one wants to go off in a P1.

I am unimpressed by all the armchair driver critics. Good job Jason.

17. Peloton25

Peloton25 F1 Veteran

Jan 24, 2004
    California, USA
    Full Name:
    Erik
    I too came here looking for F1 footage but will settle for this. Looked like you were having a great time - would love the chance to drive one under these conditions. Also highly impressive results and hopefully you do get a chance to take even more time off that in the future.

>8^)
    ER

18. 95spiderman

Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    ny
    I was serious. Not a criticism of driver or macca specifically but i expected 918, laf, and p1 to be equal to race car lap times. And why not? More hp than racers along with real down force.

19. RBM

RBM Formula Junior

Nov 22, 2009
    Full Name:
    RBM
    Because tires.

Unless cars are running identical tires, driven by the same driver at the same track on the same day, there is no point in comparing lap times to judge cars.

20. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    most performance street cars lapping TWS 2.9 are in the 1:55-2:30 range depending on driver.

I started in racing TWS in a 110 HP 1st gen RX7 race car, my best was 2:04 and class record was 2:03. We were faster than most street Ferraris and Porsches lapping.

21. BartonWorkman

BartonWorkman F1 Veteran
    Sponsor

Nov 3, 2003
    En El 305
    Full Name:
    Barton Workman
    Good to see TWS is still in operation.

For a while there, wasn't it up for sale and buyers were going to till it under to
    build a shopping center or something?

I ventured out there in 1996 to photograph an IMSA WSC race for On Track magazine.
    Got some great images and the worst sunburn of my life.

BHW

22. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    it is going going gone. :( TWS 2.9 is one of my favorite tracks, both ways!

23. "StormBringer"

BANNED

May 20, 2014
    Greenwich/Malibu
    Ahhhh you suckered me on the F1, one of my favs. Not familiar with this track at all but I'm sure with more familiarity with the P1 and better conditions your lap time will decrease. Is that a driving school that does that video I know at MMC(Monticello Motor Club) those guys have a great rig for lap times and video.

24. GuyIncognito

GuyIncognito Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
    that's a shame. everyone I know in Texas loves that track. you'd think with all the land in Texas, someone could find another place to build a subdivision :(

25. FarmerDave

FarmerDave F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Jul 26, 2004
    Full Name:
    IgnoranteWest
    They have found other places, for many decades. But that area just keeps on growing south along Hwy 6, the main highway to Houston. A&M enrollment is > 58,000. Go look at a google map of College Station. City Limits are right up to edge of TWS property. Not sure if track itself had actually been annexed. That might be the last nail in the coffin.

All that said, there's actually no official close date announced, and the track has events on the calendar into May 2015.

TWS management has always sounded a little like Baghdad Bob to me when they proclaim the track isn't closing anytime soon. But so far they have been right and TWS keeps on keepin' on for a little while.