First time at Roebling Road | FerrariChat

First time at Roebling Road

Discussion in 'Tracking & Driver Education' started by Crawler, Sep 22, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Crawler

Crawler F1 Veteran

Jul 2, 2006
    I finally got a chance to drive Roebling Road (near Savannah, Ga) on Saturday, thanks to a track / DE day hosted by PCA's Coastal Empire Region. I had a blast. This is my entire fourth and final DE session. Last lap was a 1:33, which I'm happy with as I was on street tires (albeit very good ones) and carrying 200 lbs. of instructor. I can't wait to get back. This is 19 minutes in length.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cuWl96BWapA

2. GuyIncognito

GuyIncognito Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
    never got to Roebling, but reminds me a bit of Putnam Park, which I loved. hopefully someday I'll get my shot at RR.

3. Crawler

Crawler F1 Veteran

Jul 2, 2006
    The only track I've driven that doesn't require any gear changes (at least in my car), due to the facts that the GTI has so much torque and there are no slow turns. It's fourth gear all the way around. Still, lots of fun, fast, and very technical. If you screw up one turn, you've also blown the next two.

4. ProCoach

ProCoach F1 Veteran
    Owner

Sep 15, 2004
    VIR Raceway
    Full Name:
    Peter Krause
    Roebling is a lot of fun. One of my first track events ever was a Ferrari Club event there in the fall of 1984, burned the tires off of my host's Lusso (not literally, but sure sounded like it!). Went to my SCCA school there with John Baucom (multi-time National champ) and the Flis brothers (Spirit of Daytona IMSA team), lots of find memories. Won a couple Nationals and probably more than two dozen vintage races there over the last two decades.

Now, I go every December and run my vintage car. Down in the low 1:10's! Minimum speed? 74 mph in T5B! It's a fantastic "school" track and still challenges the most experienced driver. Have fun!

5. GuyIncognito

Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
    wow...didn't realize it was that fast...even in some modified road cars min speed is still 60 mph....now I really need to get there! :) [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z_h7i4U00Uk]Lamborghini / GT3 / M3 Head to Head at Flat Out Roebling Road - YouTube[/ame]

6. Heat Seeker WS6

Heat Seeker WS6 Formula 3

Nov 4, 2003
    Milwaukee, WI
    Full Name:
    John G
    Another track added to my list of must-do's!

7. GuyIncognito

Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
    you going to Petit? it's just a hop, skip and a jump away (relatively) :)

8. Heat Seeker WS6

Nov 4, 2003
    Milwaukee, WI
    Full Name:
    John G
    #8 Heat Seeker WS6, Sep 23, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    I'm not sure yet Chas but contemplating it. That entire weekend is magical, and yep I'll take Petit over my home race at Elkhart! If I do I'm bringing the t/a once again and doing the tail of the dragon going down and going home! lol its 'only' a 15hr /850mi cruise with pee & gas stops only ....it could be only 14hr or so, but I need to do at least 2 passes each way on the TOTD :)
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

9. GuyIncognito

Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
    do it :) I'll be there. would be great to meet you finally.

10. Heat Seeker WS6

Nov 4, 2003
    Milwaukee, WI
    Full Name:
    John G
    likewise and tempting even more now sir! See if I can make the logistics work.
    I usually stay in Suwanee which is a quick 15-20min to the track. There's an Applebees on celebration drive next to where I stay and after each day of racing debauchery I'll find team's crew members hanging out there.

11. ProCoach

ProCoach F1 Veteran
    Owner

Sep 15, 2004
    VIR Raceway
    Full Name:
    Peter Krause
    I'll be there starting Tuesday afternoon. Courtney-Musante Lamborghini Super Trofeo paddock. Only guy with a tie on...<grin>

12. GuyIncognito

Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
    you're always overdressed, Peter :)

I'll stop by and say hi. I saw you at VIR, but you were deep in a conversation with your client, so I didn't interrupt.

13. Europeanroadandracing

Europeanroadandracing South Carolina
    Professional Ferrari Technician

Dec 19, 2003
    Isle of Palms, SC
    Full Name:
    Karl Troy
    Love Roebling. 180 on the straight in my Ultima years ago. Had Bill Auberlen chase me around in a Taurus Rental car. I was in a suburban full of students. Only 100 miles from home.

14. FastLapp

FastLapp F1 Rookie

Mar 18, 2004
    Rhode Island
    Full Name:
    James
    Raced karts there a few weekends ago. Fastest lap time was a 1:36 in a Briggs kart but some of the shifter karts were pulling sub 1:20s. I was flat out the entire time, no braking, not even a lift.

Watching your video, I can see just how different it is driving in a car. the turns in the kart were all constant radius but it seems like you have multiple steering inputs, particularly in turn 1. I'll be doing a Bertil Roos formula car event there in two weeks and it will require a much different style.

The track as seen from a kart: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7L7h5sLrE9A

15. LMPDesigner

LMPDesigner F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 5, 2003
    Atlanta Georgia
    How about a 1 minute flat and a turn one entry corner speed of 135 or so mph!

SCCA CSR sports racer. Jacek Mucha driving.

16. 121Designer

121Designer Formula Junior

Aug 15, 2013
    Burbank,California
    Full Name:
    Joshua Lange
    Also, Hutchison Island racetrack down the road from Roebling. It was built for the mini Formula One cars and quite fun to drive. I had the pleasure of doing laps at the Hilton Head Concours d'Elegance Racedays 2008. We were doing well over 100 in the straights. It's a short track with lot's of turns and open for fun during the Concours week. The event has changed names slightly since then, but a fun exhibition to enjoy your supercar at. Why not do both while you are in the Savannah area? Hilton Head Concours d'Elegance is quickly growing :)

17. robert biscan

robert biscan F1 Veteran

Jan 17, 2003
    Nashville and Palm b
    Full Name:
    robert s biscan
    I had a real good time there several years ago at two FCA sponsored events. I didn't clock my time but I did enjoy the instruction and laps on my own. The group was really nice with dinners and a small concourse. I may get there again if I get the chance.

18. 121Designer

121Designer Formula Junior

Aug 15, 2013
    Burbank,California
    Full Name:
    Joshua Lange
  19. Alpintourer

Alpintourer F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 20, 2013
    The Low Country
    Full Name:
    Dave Steven
    To my knowledge the Hutchinson Island track is only open during the Vintage Race weekend (aka Savannah Speed Classic) that preceeds the HHI Concours in November. If you want to race in 2015 go here: HSR Home its on October 22-25

20. ProCoach

ProCoach F1 Veteran
    Owner

Sep 15, 2004
    VIR Raceway
    Full Name:
    Peter Krause
    Hutchinson Island was built in 1997 and is only open for HSR in October.

Roebling Road was opened in 1965 and is open year round.

Two VERY different tracks, but one GREAT town to hang out in!

21. Rosso328

Rosso328 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 11, 2006
    Central FL
    Full Name:
    Paul
    When the FCA Nationals were in Savannah (2011 I think?) the track events were on Hutchinson Island. Interesting track with some deceptive corners. Lots of camber change, and a hump over the tunnel the golf carts used. I would drive it again if I were there.

22. Crawler

Crawler F1 Veteran

Jul 2, 2006
    I've only been to Hutchinson Island once, about five years ago for an FCA event where we drove around at slower speeds for a promotional video. It seemed to me at the time like a track that demands a lot of respect due to the close proximity of the barriers on most of the turns.

23. raider1968

raider1968 F1 Rookie
    Owner

Mar 13, 2008
    NC Mnts & Asheville
    Full Name:
    John E
    I rented Roebling a few years ago for my daughter and myself - she in her totally tracked Lotus and me in my Scud - I killed her on the straight but she really dogged me in the turns
    As I remember, a lot of run off room - I think except for the end of the front straight - great restaurants

24. Crawler

Crawler F1 Veteran

Jul 2, 2006
    Just to be clear, I was talking about Hutchinson Is. when I referred to the lack of run off room. Yes, there's plenty of room at Roebling, even at the end of the pit straight. Most of the crashes occur exiting turn 9 when people run wide and try to force the car back onto the track. That usually ends up with contacting the concrete pit wall. I did see a YouTube video of a guy In a BMW who lost it between 3 and 4 and made hard contact with the barrier. The other hazard is if the ground is soft after heavy rain as tires can dig in with dire results. I will be back there this weekend with PCA and cannot wait!

25. gatorgreg

gatorgreg Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 13, 2004
    NAPLES
    #25 gatorgreg, Dec 1, 2014
    Last edited: Dec 1, 2014
    Don't mean to be Debbie downer but I found both tracks to be quite boring. Hutchinson was nothing special. Nice venue and the town is great. The track is nothing special to write home about.
    I never liked Roebling Road. The off camber turns got old quick.
    I would rather go to Road Atlanta or VIR.