Daytona driving tips ? | FerrariChat

Daytona driving tips ?

Discussion in 'Tracking & Driver Education' started by WILLIAM H, Oct 5, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. WILLIAM H

WILLIAM H Three Time F1 World Champ

Nov 1, 2003
    Victory Circle
    Full Name:
    HUBBSTER
    #1 WILLIAM H, Oct 5, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  2. NWaterfall

NWaterfall Formula Junior

Aug 2, 2009
    The Track
    Full Name:
    Waterfall
    Do you have an iRacing set up? Good way to get a lot of laps in..

1 is about getting as deep as you can and balancing as much straight line braking as you can while managing the kink before the actual turn.
    6 you just need to get it pointed straight enough to put down the power. Get around the sharp corner, get on the gas, then you can take the sweeping exit just fine; the transition to the banking offers a good amount more of grip.

Here is a good high-res onboard for an idea. Pretty intuitive once you get a few laps:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QH8GEkqpBeU

3. Smiles

Smiles F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 20, 2003
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Full Name:
    Matt F
    Decreasing radius turns are always challenging.

Turn 1 defines how you do in the infield, and 6 defines how you do on the rest of the track. The exit speed of each is critical.

But someone who knows a lot more than me will have to tell you how to do it!

Matt

4. The Kook Abides

The Kook Abides F1 Rookie

Jan 4, 2011
    Both apex's are deep into the turns.

Keep your eyes "up" on the screen. Do not look down into the turn until you are basically there.

Run off the track a couple of times to find where you really should be. Turn 1 has lots of room to run off.

5. gatorgreg

gatorgreg Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 13, 2004
    NAPLES
    You are going to be moving in the corvette race car into turn 1. Maybe procoach will have some good advice. I was doing 179-183 mph into turn 1. It is definitely a challenging turn.

6. rcallahan

rcallahan F1 Rookie
    Owner

Jul 15, 2002
    Santa Barbara
    Full Name:
    Bob Callahan
    Can you even drive on it with out having a qualified coach with you for testing? it's a serious track with VERY high speeds.

7. ferraripete

ferraripete F1 World Champ

I have raced there many times. turn one is decreasing radius but you can really get in there hard. the initial inclination will have you scrubbing too much speed off upon entrance. try to resist and run in hard. the off-set curves entering the international horseshoe are very fast...basically you aim for the Armco and set up for the international horseshoe. the horseshoe can be slippery in the morning...seagull crap and marine layer moisture. the kink is rocket ship fast. west end horseshoe is pretty basic. the barrel turn you will find your way around in a few laps...aim at the barrel and let the car run up the bank into nascar 2. no need to hold the car low...let it run up high if it wants and let it eat! the cicane is fun and you can get in deep w/o too much concern as you have some room. nascar three and four will be flat out and the tri oval is banked way more than one would think.

fun track as the speeds are soooooo high. I remember my first thought there was that I had never gone so fast for so long. after getting a good many laps under your belt, you may think it is a bit mickey mouse.

8. WILLIAM H

Nov 1, 2003
    Victory Circle
    Full Name:
    HUBBSTER
    #8 WILLIAM H, Oct 6, 2014
    You think ?!?! :)

I saw 190+ in my nearly stock FGT

This monster could do 220+ + +. :)
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

9. Smiles

Smiles F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 20, 2003
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Full Name:
    Matt F
    William,

Please record going into Turn 1 at 220mph with a GoPro or other on board camera.

I bet you won't get to 175 at any point after the Start-Finish line.

Matt

10. WILLIAM H

Nov 1, 2003
    Victory Circle
    Full Name:
    HUBBSTER
    Not going into turn 1 but definitely before Start Finish

11. gatorgreg

gatorgreg Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 13, 2004
    NAPLES
    Have fun. That monster will be a handful at speed. Watch your right rear tire pressure and run all aero flat. If you cook turn one don't be a hero. Slow the car in a straight line if you can.

12. Mr Turbo

Mr Turbo Rookie

Apr 1, 2012
    Sebastian, FL
    Full Name:
    Jim H.
    #12 Mr Turbo, Oct 7, 2014
    I have attached a track map, breaking down the track in segments. This is a hand out that I use when I am doing the classroom portion of a regular DE.
    TURN 1: After passing start/finish , let the car come up higher on the track. This will allow you to dive into turn 1 with maximum speed and braking in a straight line. Use the end of the grass as your reference point for threshold braking. Stay tight to the inside, and then let the car drift out towards the right to open the angle for turn in of the late apex. Once you are comfortable with the corner, start to enter lower and lower as you come down the front straight. Otherwise, under race conditions, you will get dive bombed by three cars trying to tuck in underneath you!
    TURN 6: It is all about the exit, as your terminal speed into the bus stop is determined by your exit speed out of 6. Do not try to pinch the corner. Touch the inside curb, then let the car drift out wide as you roll in the throttle. Big sweeping arch as you accelerate hard. Eyes already looking up onto the banking.
    Hope this helps :)
    Jim H.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

13. JasonHartRacing

Feb 2, 2010
    Flower Mound, TX
    Full Name:
    Jason Hart
    This video may be helpful for you? A key in turn 1 and turn 6 is recognizing that there is a crown in the road. Once you get past mid-track/center of the road most cars will understeer in turn 1 during deceleration and oversteer in turn 6 under acceleration. It is helpful to anticipate both of these nuances as you develop your timing of inputs as you work to maintain your line. There is much more to both of these corners, but much of it is derived from the shape of the corners, decreasing radius turn 1 and increasing radius turn 6 as well as understanding how the crown in the road affects the handling dynamics.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pXxFqcvCYrM

14. GuyIncognito

GuyIncognito Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
    good video Jason!

there was a similar video from Patrick Long when he was driving the Flying Lizard DP that included narration, that I think would be particularly relevant for William (similar power/speed/lap times to his Corvette GTP car). but for the life of me I can't find that video..any clue what I'm referring to?

15. gatorgreg

gatorgreg Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 13, 2004
    NAPLES
    Jason,
    You make it look so easy. Fantastic driving. I like your Sebring video too.

16. WILLIAM H

Nov 1, 2003
    Victory Circle
    Full Name:
    HUBBSTER
    #16 WILLIAM H, Oct 7, 2014
  17. Juan-Manuel Fantango

Juan-Manuel Fantango F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 18, 2004
    Full Name:
    Juan
    Still tracking the TR?

18. WILLIAM H

Nov 1, 2003
    Victory Circle
    Full Name:
    HUBBSTER
    No, I'll get her back on track next year. Got a surprise coming soon :)

19. okiedude

okiedude Formula 3

Jul 11, 2011
    Remulak
    Full Name:
    Blake
    You going to run the Historic 24 at Daytona next month?

20. WILLIAM H

Nov 1, 2003
    Victory Circle
    Full Name:
    HUBBSTER
    Planning in it
    Probably 67 Vette
    Don't think GTP will b ready
    But have a deal for a mystery race car that will b revealed once deal is sealed
    It's insanely cool :)

21. kylec

kylec F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 9, 2005
    Orlando
    Video
    Dirt ends up on the bus stop turns after a while

22. jakermc

jakermc Formula 3
    Owner

Jan 17, 2004
    Palm Beach, FL
    Full Name:
    Rob
    There is an excellent visual cue shown in this video at about 0:16 - note where the edge of the grass on the inside changes angles and the white stripe is met by a dark line. Line up the entry to meet this segment. If you get your eyes on this early in the turn, well before the approach, this corner gets much easier and everything just falls into place.

23. WILLIAM H

Nov 1, 2003
    Victory Circle
    Full Name:
    HUBBSTER
    Too bad the dark stripe isn't on GT5 :)

24. John B

John B Formula 3

May 27, 2003
    NJ
    I did the 24 hrs there in a GT3 Cup Car in '07 with a bunch of testing prior, and later some vintage racing in a Riley & Scott MKIIIB LMP1 car. Although a number of years ago, I remember it well and I believe the track is the same. Here's my 2c.

Turn 1:
    Much faster than you think, but you need the line just right. Your tendency will be to drift lower as your eyes follow down off the banking toward the apex of T1. Focus on keeping the car all the way up on the top edge of the wall and stay on the throttle until you turn in. I think I was carrying full throttle to just before the 1 marker, then braking and turning in what felt a like little late. The track is wide there and coming down off the banking compresses the suspension giving you a lot of grip, catching you. Once turned in, full throttle and almost skim the pit exit wall on your left. Don't stuff your nose right behind anyone going into T1 as you will lose downforce and it may not end well!

Horseshoe:
    Slow in, fast out. Work on exit speed.

Kink (T4):
    I thought I would be able to do it flat, but never did. No one else I spoke with ever admitted to doing it flat either.

T6:
    Basic turn: Hit your marks, Use the full track Turn in, apex and track out. Leads to long straight, focus on exit speed.

The bankings:
    They are really just straights, full throttle all the way.

Bus stop
    A key turn as your exit speed here carries all the way to the fastest part of the track and T1. Do what ever it takes to exit that sucker as fast as you can. Use all the curbing and maybe a little dirt too once in a while on the last left part.

Passing spots:
    T1 maybe... with a big speed differential but get it done early, don't go in side to side.
    Out braking into Horseshoe, T5, T6 & the Buss Stop.

In my recollection, a good lap really means nailing T1 and the Bus Stop. The rest are kind of business as usual turns. Speeds: 178 mph in the Cup Car, and 204 mph in the R&S, both just prior to T1.

Hope this helps. Be safe and have fun! That car looks like a hoot.

25. ProCoach

ProCoach F1 Veteran
    Owner

Sep 15, 2004
    VIR Raceway
    Full Name:
    Peter Krause
    Great commentary...