Effect of Ambient Tenperature on Lap Times | FerrariChat

Effect of Ambient Tenperature on Lap Times

Discussion in 'Tracking & Driver Education' started by Crawler, Oct 22, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Crawler

Crawler F1 Veteran

Jul 2, 2006
    #1 Crawler, Oct 22, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 22, 2014
    I have now done eleven track days at Carolina Motorsports Park. My two overall fastest lap times have been 1:57.4 (11-19-13) and 1:57.8 (10-21-12). Both of these were done under relatively low ambient and track temperatures.

My most recent track day was last Saturday (10-18-14). Ambient temperature was in the upper 70s under very bright and warm sunshine. My three fastest laps were set at the end of the final session (around 3:30 PM) when temperatures were about at their peak. The times were 2:00.7, 2:00.6, and 2:00.6.

My question is this. Can a substantial difference in ambient and track temperature alone account for the 3+ second lap time delta on a 2.4 mile track? I really felt good about the laps, corner entry speeds, etc. and was surprised to see that I didn't crack the two minute mark. I also felt good about my speed relative to other cars; in other words, had I been in the 1:57s this last time out, I would have been very competitive with cars that should be faster than mine, so it did seem as though everybody was slower.

A three second variance seem like a lot to me, but the evidence would seem to indicate that it's due to the difference in temperature. I should add that all of these sessions were done with the same specifications, tire type, etc. The car is a Volkswagen GTI Mk. 6. Input is appreciated.

2. gatorgreg

gatorgreg Formula 3

Dec 13, 2004
    NAPLES
    The short answer is yes. The reasons for your 3 second gain could be attributed to other factors (track condition, tires, air density, the list is long.)
    I am assuming CMP is an all asphalt track. If so, I would assume 1 to 1 1/2 seconds is lower temperature of the track surface and the rest was in your head. Meaning you are driving better.

3. Ney

Ney F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 20, 2004
    There is a reason that late afternoon when the sun is starting to set is called "Happy Hour" at Indy. Track cools and air density increases....more grip + more HP = faster lap times.

4. ProCoach

ProCoach F1 Veteran
    Owner

Sep 15, 2004
    VIR Raceway
    Full Name:
    Peter Krause
    No, not three seconds, especially when your "slower" session was still in conditions most would find optimal. Without data to compare, you are just guessing! <grin>

That said, as tracks age, and the surface becomes more polished and worn, the differential between "fast" laps (cool, morning, low humidity) and "slower" laps (hot, afternoon, high humidity) widens substantially.

I would posit that the track's age and general end-of-life (the aggregate at this track, except for T13 and inside T14, is SIXTEEN years old, way beyond the norm for falloff) have contributed more to your lap time fall off than any other single issue.

Time for you to buy something simple and self contained. An Aim Solo would be enough to answer this question definitively.

5. Crawler

Crawler F1 Veteran

Jul 2, 2006
    Thanks Peter. I will check into the Aim Solo. I've tried a couple of other systems and found them less than satisfactory. I had not considered long-term surface deterioration, but that certainly fits the scenario.

6. ProCoach

ProCoach F1 Veteran
    Owner

Sep 15, 2004
    VIR Raceway
    Full Name:
    Peter Krause
    I can see one and a half to two seconds, Dan. But the AiM Solo, for less than $400, would tell you everything you need. Be glad to help.

7. fatbillybob

fatbillybob Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 10, 2002
    socal
    Tires, fuel load, chassis set-up!

8. gatorgreg

gatorgreg Formula 3

Dec 13, 2004
    NAPLES
    The AIM solo would be a great investment.

9. Crawler

Crawler F1 Veteran

Jul 2, 2006
    I'll probably go back in late November. Trying to talk myself into coughing up 400 bucks for the AIM solo. Will likely do it.

10. speedsport

speedsport Formula Junior

Mar 14, 2013
    IL/WI
    Full Name:
    Michael
    For what it's worth, I've never seen a road course produce faster lap times around 3PM. That time is usually when the sun is adding the most heat into the track, and the track is full of other rubber and debris from cars running on it all day.

In all my racing, afternoon sessions, say 1-4 pm are almost always slower then AM or sessions after 4 pm. Now that's a general statement with tons of other factors, but as a general rule, that's the case.

On the other hand, 3PM in October is much different then 3PM in July. The sun angle plays a huge part in track conditions.

3 seconds is a lot of varience due to time of day / ambient temps. I'd look elsewhere for the reason.

11. chris1866

chris1866 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 14, 2005
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Another +1 for the AiM Solo. If your car is new enough, the SOLO DL is an even better bet if you want to get some serious data. That can interface with the car's ECU via the CAN bus and give you all sorts of data (throttle position, brake pressure, etc.)
    If you have someone (like Peter) who has the knowledge/ability to translate that data and help you apply it, it can be a great learning tool.

12. ProCoach

ProCoach F1 Veteran
    Owner

Sep 15, 2004
    VIR Raceway
    Full Name:
    Peter Krause
    I'm always glad to talk people through the installation of these wonderful tools. I send them out pre-configured for the purchaser's application, too.

13. CornersWell

CornersWell F1 Rookie

Nov 24, 2004
    3 seconds is an ETERNITY on a race track. Would agree with ProCoach that temperature isn't likely the only factor.

CW

14. Crawler

Crawler F1 Veteran

Jul 2, 2006