Brake Pads for street/track? | FerrariChat

Brake Pads for street/track?

Discussion in 'Tracking & Driver Education' started by GaryR, Nov 11, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. GaryR

GaryR Formula 3

Dec 11, 2006
    Valencia, Spain
    Full Name:
    Gary R.
    I'm a big proponent of Performance Friction for my 911 race car but know zip about good pads for the 360. I'd like a pad that grips well cold and gets better hot, doesn't squeal like a stuck pig on the street..

Thanks!

2. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    Call Martin at Giro Disc. He knows the cars and brakes are all he does.

360-306-3263

3. Zcobra1

Zcobra1 Formula 3

Oct 9, 2012
    So Cal
    Full Name:
    Bert
    I have no experience with them, but Stoptech Street Performance pads are
    only $60 per axle shipped on Fleabay....about as inexpensive as you can get.
    I called Stoptech and talked to Eric and he claimed a MOT of 1300, I do find
    that hard to believe, but according to him they do OK on light tracking use.

At that pricing it sounds like a almost no risk situation, keep your old pads,
    slap these on and monitor at the track. If they burn up, you have old pads to get home.

A lot cheaper than Ferrari/Brembo pads by far.....

4. GaryR

GaryR Formula 3

Dec 11, 2006
    Valencia, Spain
    Full Name:
    Gary R.
    Thank you Brian and Bert, I will look into both options..

5. Zcobra1

Zcobra1 Formula 3

Oct 9, 2012
    So Cal
    Full Name:
    Bert
    Ferodo ds2500 have good write ups as a street able track pad, but run 3x as much
    As the Stoptech units.
    I used Carbotech 10/8 on my C5 Z06, a similar weight and speed car as our 360,
    they are very good on the track, but can be pretty squeaky on the street.
    Cold brake power was great on those, to avoid noise,
    I just warmed them on the street with some brisk stops,
    this usually diminished/eliminated the squeak. Those are about $400 for both axles.

6. okiedude

okiedude Formula 3

Jul 11, 2011
    Remulak
    Full Name:
    Blake
    I wasn't impressed with the Stoptech Street Performance pads on the track, they were ok, not great. DS 2500's are better. If you go Stoptech, be sure to let them cool down while you're moving or they will leave material buildup on your rotors, which totally sucks.
    Carbotech's can be swapped between their street pads and race pads, I run their 12/10's on my ZO6, then the street pad after a track day, and you don't have to swap rotors.
    Whatever you get, be sure to bed them properly. I do like Stoptech's bedding procedure.

7. stuntman

stuntman Karting

May 23, 2005
    West Palm, FL
    Which PFC compound do you use? I have friends who daily (well weekend canyon carver on the street and driving to and from the track) both 01s and 08s.

Ferodo HP1000s are OEM pads on the CTS-V and I think various exotics. They're a bit better than the DS2500 and are pretty awesome on the track for being a street pad. No fade and good bite. Not an 01 but impressively good.

8. GaryR

GaryR Formula 3

Dec 11, 2006
    Valencia, Spain
    Full Name:
    Gary R.
    Track only on the 911 race car, my favorite was the 97's, never found a good replacement after they were discontinued. Luckily I bought a few sets and I only go through 2 sets of fronts and one rear per season.. The 360 is about 600 lb heavier, think it will have no problem getting heat into them.

9. stuntman

stuntman Karting

May 23, 2005
    West Palm, FL
    Have you tried PFC's 01 compound? Its their most popular and successful compound.

10. lashss

lashss F1 Rookie

Nov 26, 2003
    DC
    Full Name:
    LSJ
    +1 on Carbotech...call their tech line and have them select the correct model for your intended use.

LS