Headed to the track this Saturday, questions & advice | FerrariChat

Headed to the track this Saturday, questions & advice

Discussion in 'Tracking & Driver Education' started by yoda, Dec 1, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. yoda

yoda F1 Rookie

Sep 27, 2004
    UT
    My very generous relative has long-term loaned me his Subaru STi that's built up as a track car. It's not the first time I've driven it on the track, but this will be my first competitive timed event with it. I have some track experience, but not a lot. I have done many rallycrosses in dirt parking lots. I have done this same event before but in a 115hp $500 Subaru. This time will be in a 400hp Subaru.

It's a time attack (cars spaced apart, no passing) style event they call Wintercross. Cones are placed on the track to help keep the speeds lower, this also decreases the insurance costs thus keeping the entry fee down. If there's snow on the track, you drive on the snow. Conditions this Saturday should be dry and forties in the morning warming up to fifty. Two half-hour practice sessions in the morning and two timed sessions in the afternoon. You are placed by your fast lap of the afternoon.

Any strategy to driving as related to the above description?
    Will the Hoosier slicks do okay in the colder temperatures?
    Does insurance cover the trailering of the car if it's damage in an accident while in transport?
    In the rules in states the bulkhead separating the fuel cell and passenger compartment can't have gaps. It's bolted on there, but do I need to add something like heat tape along the entire edge?
    Car was tuned in New York. No time this week, but would it be beneficial to have it tuned at my higher Utah altitude? It seems to run okay currently.
    Anything else I'm forgetting?

And here's a video of me driving in a very similar track configuration with cones and the same Subaru. This was just a track day, no timed laps. Any advice, critique, or flaming is welcomed.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FrzBrWb18d0