First Racing School - Need some help | FerrariChat

First Racing School - Need some help

Discussion in 'Tracking & Driver Education' started by twist-a-grip, Jan 9, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. twist-a-grip

twist-a-grip Karting

Oct 25, 2013
    I'm enrolled for a Barber racing school and have a couple of questions.

I'm a germaphobe to the nth degree and the thought of wearing a school issue helmet and race suit that has been used for months or years grosses me out. I have intentions to start doing track days and maybe getting into racing soon, but want to use this school to judge my enthusiasm before I go buy a bunch of gear, let alone a Z06 or GT3(RS). Anyone have any first hand experience with the quality and cleanliness of the racing gear these schools offer? If I were to buy a new helmet, I've noted on another thread that there is a new Snell rating change for 2015 and one guy mentioned his old helmet will not pass inspection come 2016. However, it seems nobody has these 2015 Snell rated helmets yet, so I don't want to chunk down a bunch of cash on a helmet that's only good for this year. Any insight into this issue? Are auto racing helmets like bike helmets where you need to get a new one every few years? And, finally, having not attended any racing schools or track days, will I look like a ****** showing up all geared up with my new duds or do most people bring their own? What about for a regular track day - is it ******y to wear your $1500 Puma jumper driving a GT3 7/10ths (or whatever level I might be)? In other words, I'm willing to suck it up on my germaphobia so as to not be "that guy". Thanks in advance for your help.

2. fatbillybob

fatbillybob Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 10, 2002
    socal
    If it really bugs you go to helmetcity.com get a cheap helmet just for school. the 2010 snell ratings are just fine and most race orgs allow helmets certified 1 generation and some even 2 generations old. The 2015 lids will not really be out in any full line choices until late in 2015. That's just how it works. You can buy a cheap 3 layer suit that qualifes for many orgs like NASA and SCCA from guys like saferacer.com for under 600bucks. Helmet 299. You are probably into barber for $3k for a race weekend so what's another 1000?

And while many at skippy are nubies Skip is expensive. So many others have been tracking for a while and learned bad habits and bring their own gear and spend the whole weekend unlearning bad habits hoping to make some major breakthroughs.

Do what makes you comfortable. There is enough to stress about at skippy school and coodies in an old used sweaty helmet should not be one of them. If you can stomach a used suit you could buy fireproof nomex longjohns and full sleeve mock t-neck shirt to give you a barrier to the used suit. The benefit is extra fire protection and the cost is under 200. So now being clean costs you 500 bucks. Win win. Besides a smart racer will wear the extra fire protection in the future anyway if for no other reason to keep the race suit cleaner like wearing socks in your shoes. I highly recommend wearing nomex headsock too (60bucks). Keeps your helmet fresher and can give you some barrier to a used helmet if you go that route.

Oh, last thought if the $1000 extra dollars bugs you like it is wasted, don't start racing! Get a refund from skippy now. Racing is the black hole of money and time. It can cause bankruptcy and divorce and all kinds of emotional problems. It is also an addiction like crack cocaine. All you need is one good hit. You have been warned.

3. twist-a-grip

twist-a-grip Karting

Oct 25, 2013
    #3 twist-a-grip, Jan 9, 2015
    Last edited: Jan 9, 2015
    Perfect Mr. FatBillyBob - thanks.

While I probably don't know exactly to what extent racing/tracking will cost me, I know it ain't gonna be cheap. I'm the type of guy who thinks you get what you pay for, so $1000 is nothing compared to what I'm expecting to pay - $3-5k helmet, $1500 suit, $200-300 undies, $200-300 shoes, $100-200 gloves, etc. However, I like the idea of just getting the undies and maybe a cheaper helmet for this year while I wait to spring the big bucks once the 2015 Snell helmets hit the shelves and I know I'm all in with this sport. Great advice.

One thing I forgot to ask in the first post - what's the general consensus on a helmet mounted GoPro? After Schumi's accident, I've read about a handful of other lawsuits regarding major brain injuries (potentially) caused by GoPros in skiing and cycling accidents. As an avid skier and a diehard bikist, I don't GoPro any longer on my helmet. But, I probably ain't gonna get a very good video with my chest cam in the Barber one seaters. So, I'm wondering if a good certified auto helmet may eliminate the risk of these types of injuries. I planned on putting a GoPro on the car and my helmet, so any better and/or safer location advice is appreciated.

4. fatbillybob

fatbillybob Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 10, 2002
    socal
    IMO forget the Camera if you are there to learn. There are enough distractions. If you think you need to see a reply to understand errors ok different story. If instructors will look at your video and evaluate performance then by all means. If you want a momento because you might never be on track again OK. But nobody wins school and if you stay in the sport you will look back on any hot laps in school and see nothing but errors and you will cringe.

I call bs on the injury and schmacher. Yes a camera adds weight to your head and that means more on your neck. Yes you can focus energy where none was expected with a camera base. I'd like to see some proof that a go pro is an unsafe idea on helmets.

5. rotaryrocket7

rotaryrocket7 Formula Junior

Dec 7, 2011
    Eden Prairie, MN
    Full Name:
    Matt
    I did the 3 day racing program at skip. Suit was definitely worn, but it was clean, I bought shoes, gloves and under armor, both a long sleeve compression shirt and pants. After day one I was I shorts on the bottom, it gets warm. I have my own helmet but didn't want to trek it on the flight, so I brought my own baklava.

Not many people had their own suit, some helmets. Your call.
    I didn't hook up a go pro, but actually regret it. On the third day when opening lapping I wish I would have strapped it to the car (formula car), another guy did and I was busy with regret��
    Whatever you do best advice is mouth closed ears open, and when you stop and get feedback really try to implement it in the next lap. Best way to get good habits fast! Have fun, I'm going to attend another class this year, as billy on said, it's like crack.

6. m5guy

m5guy Formula 3

Aug 17, 2008
    Ventura, CA.
    Full Name:
    Greg

Stop by a supermarket and get a box of baby butt-wipes. They are a quick sanitizer you can use on the inside of the helmet and the suit. I have two kids (4 and 2) and I use their babywipes all the time to clean and deodorize the inside of my helmets.

7. davem

davem F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2002
    Stepford, Connecticut
    Full Name:
    dave m
    Think the issue with GoPro is when your focus is to get a great shot vs driving regarding helmet mounted cams.

8. bobzdar

bobzdar F1 Veteran

Sep 22, 2008
    Richmond
    Full Name:
    Pete
    Do what makes you comfortable and don't worry about anyone else - you want to be focused on driving and not worried about germs or anything else. If you get a snell 2010, it will still be good until the 2020's are released.

9. ProCoach

ProCoach F1 Veteran
    Owner

Sep 15, 2004
    VIR Raceway
    Full Name:
    Peter Krause
    Use a balaclava (head sock), buy your own. The Stand 21 store on site sells the best ones. The equipment is clean.

I would NOT wear a camera on your helmet. Ever. Stick it on the cowling of the car and have fun. Casey, Cassius, Franklin and the whole SBRS instructor corps are great.

10. rdefabri

rdefabri Three Time F1 World Champ

Jun 4, 2008
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Rich
    I second the balaclava.

11. AaronMeisner

AaronMeisner Formula Junior

Jul 15, 2014
    Baltimore MD USA
    Full Name:
    Aaron Meisner
    I am on board with the idea of getting your own balaclava and sucking it up on the helmet. You are going to have plenty of other things to worry about. I would do the GoPro, but mounted on the roll hoop. I don't know how they feel about the AIM Solo, but that was a fantastic investment for me. It was around $300-400 and gives you lap times and predictive lap times. Enormously helpful as you are working to put together laps. You know immediately how much you are leaving on the table. Great tool. And you can probably sell it for nearly what you paid if you don't end up racing longer-term. The only warning I would give is that the PC software is not easy to learn. But the payoff is huge.

12. twist-a-grip

twist-a-grip Karting

Oct 25, 2013
    Thank you all for the input. I'm was already planning to buy shoes, gloves and underwear (including balaclava), so I might as well get the suit as well. The helmet is the one thing I'm not sure about yet. I also agree that a car mounted GoPro is probably the best way to go. Y'all's comments about focus and distractions has me a little anxious for the school - sounds like it gets a little intense????

13. singletrack

singletrack F1 Veteran

Mar 16, 2011
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Going myself in Feb and March! : )

Bell Sport is an excellent helmet at $299 and will be good through 2020 as bobzdar points out. I still use mine today after getting fairly serious about tracking. You can also install/retrofit a HANS device in the future or whatever communication systems pretty easily.

I wouldn't be anxious, but it is a racing school. There will be people doing it for fun in their 40s, and kids trying to get to indycar in their teens. At least that is what I'm expecting. I'm sure the instructors will adjust to the various students.

14. lowrider92

lowrider92 Rookie

Apr 28, 2009
    Fort Erie
    Full Name:
    Joseph Giliberti
    When are you going? Would like to hear details once you've completed the course.

15. Heat Seeker WS6

Heat Seeker WS6 Formula 3

Nov 4, 2003
    Milwaukee, WI
    Full Name:
    John G

<I stand up> Hello, my name is john and I have a problem........
    :)

16. twist-a-grip

twist-a-grip Karting

Oct 25, 2013
    Going to the NOLA Formula 3 day school in Feb. Not sure how great of a track it is, but I didn't pick where we were going. I bought a GoPro yesterday and have my gear ordered.

I'll post experience details and maybe a video (depending how fast I am) when I get back home. My only other track experience was with the AMG Driving Academy at COTA last spring - got the free school when I bought my AMG. It was fun, but a little slow (too much standing around and instructors always had a leash on us). After watching youtube videos, seems Barber will blow the AMG course out of the water and I'll see if my AMG driving academy championship victory translates to Barber's Formula school.

17. asjoseph

asjoseph Karting
    BANNED

Jan 16, 2010
    Southern California
    ... staffers there at the track go through the motions, trying to make their loaner equipment look clean. Nature of the thing, race tracks are dumps. Very unhygienic. Professional drivers not exactly known for cleanliness, much less Godliness, all their stuff is grungy and filthy, teaming with bacteria.

All those greasy, sweaty wannabees, pissing themselves, blowing snot into those helmets... no thanks. My two weeks at Bondurant, I brought all my own stuff. Suit, nomex underwear, shoes, helmet, gloves, tear-offs, I'm not a neat freak, I just prefer having my own stuff, and that being self-sufficient is a necessary part of preparation - asj.

18. floridadoorman

floridadoorman Formula Junior

Jan 14, 2014
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Alex
    +1

19. It's Ross

It's Ross Formula 3

Jul 30, 2007
    Barrington, Ill. USA
    Full Name:
    Ross
    You'll be wearing your own underwear anyway, Skip doesn't provide any shoes or undergarments other than a cheap disposable balaclava. Your own nomex skivvies and balaclava might put you at ease. Your preoccupation with cleanliness will be a bad distraction. I suspect it will vanish in the moment but if you are convinced not then cough up for your own duds. If this isn't just a joy ride you'll get use from them in the future.
    Just remember if you show up looking Schumacher you'd better not cock up.
    Relax, learn and enjoy. If you only knew the stuff you are in contact with each and every day. Just because it looks clean....

20. rotaryrocket7

Dec 7, 2011
    Eden Prairie, MN
    Full Name:
    Matt
    Whatever you do have fun. Shouldn't be tough&#55357;&#56841;

21. lowrider92

lowrider92 Rookie

Apr 28, 2009
    Fort Erie
    Full Name:
    Joseph Giliberti
    I'm in the same situation; I've signed up for the Bridgestone Racing Academy at Mosport and have 0 track experience therefore I do not have any of my own equipment. After reading through this thread I've decided to purchase my own socks and a Helmet. I was wondering if anyone has the same problem as me in having to wear prescription glasses in order to see? I ride bikes and have always worn an open face Helmet so wearing glasses has never been a problem until I tried on a full face race Helmet. Any thoughts?

22. innerloop

innerloop Formula Junior

Jan 17, 2010
    Houston Heights, TX
    NOLA is a surprisingly good track. The facilities are great and the track is super safe. There is huge run-off area almost everywhere so it's virtually impossible to hit anything. So even though the track is very fast, you can still push the limit without having to worry about bending anything.

23. CCRider66

CCRider66 Formula Junior
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jul 29, 2014
    Sussex, WI
    Full Name:
    Brian
    Put them on after the helmet :D I just keep the visor up till it's drive time. I haven't had any issues yet.

24. spirot

spirot F1 World Champ

Dec 12, 2005
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Tom Spiro
    Having been racing and done track schools etc.. for a long period of my life, I highly recommend you spend what it takes to get a Very good helmet - and Hans device ... who cares what others think of you & how you look being safe means you will be albe to enjoy the next school!

regardless of what they tell you - racing is dangerous, and you need to protect your self - becuae nobody else is going to do it.

Barber is a good school with pro's running it... but Shi# happens ...

25. rotaryrocket7

Dec 7, 2011
    Eden Prairie, MN
    Full Name:
    Matt
    We had one crash over the 3 day at barber, it was wet and someone let off the gas mid corner, which is a no no in the open wheel car. No real damage, but still a crash I guess. There was one guy with a hans...no one made fun of him, safety is never a bad idea.
    I didn't go for a hans, but there are two things you want for sure. 1, a good set of shoes, if racing great, but flat bottom shoes, 2- a good paid of gloves, the fatigue on your hands is heavy, the gloves really help, especially if it rains.