Driving on balloon tires ? | FerrariChat

Driving on balloon tires ?

Discussion in 'Tracking & Driver Education' started by WILLIAM H, Feb 24, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. WILLIAM H

WILLIAM H Three Time F1 World Champ

Nov 1, 2003
    Victory Circle
    Full Name:
    HUBBSTER
    So was driving my 67 Jag E today

Driving on balloon tires is a bit strange when I've been pretty much on low profile since I was 16.

Do balloons break away a lot earlier ?

I guess they slide a lot more than low profiles.

I can tell you I don't even want to see 100 mph in E type, it's just a tiny bit safer than a crotch rocket

2. myronx19

myronx19 Formula Junior

May 27, 2012
    Toronto, ON Canada
    Full Name:
    Myron Samila
    #2 myronx19, Feb 24, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    balloon tires? or just tall sidewall... bias ply? radial? slicks? I don't think sidewall height will factor a huge amount to "slide", slip angle - yes.. but I don't think height is the only factor attributing to slide. I'd say there will be a lot more going on with the car before I blame the tires.

I used to race on some fairly sloppy, relatively tall Hankook DOT race radials and it was the most fun I've ever had! (and I was quite fast on them as well!)
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

3. WILLIAM H

Nov 1, 2003
    Victory Circle
    Full Name:
    HUBBSTER
    #3 WILLIAM H, Feb 24, 2015
  4. Mr Turbo

Mr Turbo Rookie

Apr 1, 2012
    Sebastian, FL
    Full Name:
    Jim H.
    #4 Mr Turbo, Feb 24, 2015
    William,
    I agree that you would not want your Jag to be anything more than a fun Sunday afternoon cruiser. I took mine to Sebring a few years back, and had an unpleasant handful with it. I joke with my friends that driving my older (60's era) sports cars is kinda like driving a school bus, in comparison to the development of the modern day performance car!
    Tall sidewall tires are obsolete in todays performance car. On track, the race tuned suspensions of your cars, and the top flight tire technology has spoiled you!
    Cheers,
    Jim H.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

5. WILLIAM H

Nov 1, 2003
    Victory Circle
    Full Name:
    HUBBSTER
    I was following a 57 Pontoon TR @ Sebring years ago into turn 1 and he was power sliding thru corner.
    Reminds me of Lightning McQueen learning to corne on dirt LOL

6. Ingenere

Ingenere F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Dec 11, 2001
    On the Limit
    Full Name:
    Dino
    Back in the day cornering was more like controlled sliding.

7. John B

John B Formula 3

May 27, 2003
    NJ
    I had an E-Type (Your beautiful pics make me nostalgic for it). I found when really pushed it broke into a nice well telegraphed and controllable slide and held it without too much slip angle. Certainly the tall profile, skinny tires were at the heart of this, but the flexy wire wheels were probably also a contributing factor. The Jag rims are not as robust as Borranis. The racing lightweight E-Types of the period used mags that actually looked like the Campagnolos on a GTC.

Brakes? ehh....