Fairly cheap HD video and data solution | FerrariChat

Fairly cheap HD video and data solution

Discussion in 'Tracking & Driver Education' started by GaryR, Mar 10, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. GaryR

GaryR Formula 3

Dec 11, 2006
    Valencia, Spain
    Full Name:
    Gary R.
    RoadHawk - New Video Camera with Data - Rennlist Discussion Forums

I just bought one so i'll see how well it works. You need to buy RaceRender software to overlay data on your video ($50) , add a good suction cup camera mount (Joby is $39), all in for under $350. Next step up (IMO) is an AIM HD at $1000..

2. ProCoach

ProCoach F1 Veteran
    Owner

Sep 15, 2004
    VIR Raceway
    Full Name:
    Peter Krause
    Let us know, Gary...

3. GaryR

GaryR Formula 3

Dec 11, 2006
    Valencia, Spain
    Full Name:
    Gary R.
    You know I will Peter! :D

4. GaryR

GaryR Formula 3

Dec 11, 2006
    Valencia, Spain
    Full Name:
    Gary R.
    Well, getting closer to $450 now as the 8GB SD that comes with it is too small (for me), so I added a Pny SDHC 64GB card ($35) and a Timetec hard-wire kit ($20) from Amazon. I hate having wires from adapters flopping around. My stereo guy will wire it up for $50... From what I read with the latest firmware update it will take the 64GB card w/o issue.

5. 360Tom

360Tom Formula 3

May 9, 2013
    Burbank, CA
    Full Name:
    Tom
    It looks like a pretty neat set up. It's nice it records with a G Meter. Might be better than a go pro as far as final picture goes. The Go Pros look easier to set up though. Definitely want to try one out now.

6. GaryR

GaryR Formula 3

Dec 11, 2006
    Valencia, Spain
    Full Name:
    Gary R.
    Go-Pro is just a video camera, albeit a good one. This, combined with RaceRender, does video with a data overlay of track mapping/car position, speed, and Gas/Brake/cornering G's. As I also have a Replay HD I believe I can combine the two video streams (PiP) in RRender also, i.e. Reply on my hands/feet with Roadhawk out the front.

7. kverges

kverges F1 Rookie

Nov 18, 2003
    Dallas
    Full Name:
    Keith Verges
    The downside is there is no replacement lens or lens protection, so if you use it in an open car or on the outside of the car, it is pretty vulnerable.

8. GaryR

GaryR Formula 3

Dec 11, 2006
    Valencia, Spain
    Full Name:
    Gary R.
    Very true, it really needs to go behind a windshield.

9. 360Tom

360Tom Formula 3

May 9, 2013
    Burbank, CA
    Full Name:
    Tom
    That's where the go pros come in. You could still overlay the data from the Roadhawk camera. That is if your using video editing software to put it together. As long as you have a sync for all the camera's, it should be just a little bit of work.

10. GaryR

GaryR Formula 3

Dec 11, 2006
    Valencia, Spain
    Full Name:
    Gary R.
    Back 7-8 years ago (well before AIM SmartyCam) I tried a product called TrackVision to sync my AIM data with my video files. Was frustrating to say the least! You think you have it, then 30 seconds later in you see you don't.. never got it to work to my satisfaction. AIM Smarty came along (non-HD) and that was the end of that issue, but the video was not great compared to stand alone video. The new stand alone Smarty HD is fantastic, but it's $1000 before any add-ons (see ProCoach above if looking for one). Along with the Roadhawk i'm going to try using my HTC One (Android) with their "TrackAddict"" software and my Joby mount. This will (IF it works) also incorporate OBD2 data like throttle and RPM..