458 at Sebring | FerrariChat

458 at Sebring

Discussion in 'Tracking & Driver Education' started by Ky1e, Jul 2, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Ky1e

Ky1e Formula 3

Mar 4, 2011
    FL
    I took my 458 Spider to Sebring last month with Chin Motorsports and it was a blast! It was my first time ever going to a track and it was definitely more extreme than I expected (in a great way). It was all out, balls to the wall. 152 MPH down the back stretch, 130 mph around long sweeping bends, down to sharp hairpin turns... great stuff.

There were lots of great cars out there. I'm signed up to do it again in August.

3.7 miles with 17 turns and it's legal to go as fast as you want--what more can you ask for!

The Michelin Supersports are great for street driving but would get squirrelly 2/3 of the way thru each session (they'd get too hot and then the car would get noticeably looser around corners). I'm planning on getting some Pirelli Trofero's for my next outing.

2. NbyNW

NbyNW F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Chin puts on a great events! Follow them north to VIR and WG. Great tracks.

3. singletrack

singletrack F1 Veteran

Mar 16, 2011
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Great track; I love it.

Keep the MPSS at 32-34 PSI for max traction. If you are pushing, you will have to keep letting air out over the course of the day. I would not go out with them below 28/29 PSI though and take it easy until they are up to temp.

I always have to add a lot of air at the end of the day before I drive home. Going to cup2's next : )

4. 95spiderman

95spiderman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    ny
    Thats great youre using it as it should

Im considering a 458 and will use it on track 5-8 times year so would love to hear about your experience with it esp re maintenance

5. Ky1e

Ky1e Formula 3

Mar 4, 2011
    FL
    I signed up for the Aug Sebring Track outing so that'll be next track trip.

Maintenance wise the only things I see going thru are the brakes and tires. My rotors look fine but the pads in the front are a little thin. I have ~9000 miles on my 2013 spider. I've heard the Carbon Ceramic brakes are expensive but does anyone have a guess on just getting the pads replaced?

It did get filthy (to be expected) -- some black rubber debris marks on the paint but they came off with some hard work. I do have 3M film on the front of the car. I bought some track tape to add extra protection on the trouble areas like the rocker panels and nose corners.

I've got a GoPro4 but I'd like to get the car data superimposed on the video for the next trip.

6. Rosso328

Rosso328 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 11, 2006
    Central FL
    Full Name:
    Paul
    Glad to hear you enjoyed it. I was there as well in my Exige. I won't make the August event, but planning on September.

For the rubber marks, try Mothers R3 Racing Rubber Remover. Comes right off, with no hard work.

7. FCat360

FCat360 F1 World Champ

Oct 17, 2014
    Radical Purgatory
    Full Name:
    Lam, Blama Lam
    I used to use a GoPro, but found an iPhone 6 on a windshield mount running Harry's Laptimer and a Bluetooth OBDii dongle are the hot setup. The GPS on the iPhone only runs at 1hz refresh thou. So next thing is to upgrade to a GPS dongle of some sort.

8. Joeyung

Joeyung Karting

Mar 9, 2011
    Kentucky
    Pads are really easy to replace, you should look at just buying pads, not necessarily Brembo pads and learning how to replace them. It will be a lot easier and save you money. You may also want to get some racing pads that are better suited to the track. They will squeak for a while after being on the track. Bleeding brake fluid is important also. It is also pretty easy if you are mechanically inclined. The trofeo R spec tires are great. That is what I changed to with my 458 for the track. I did the exact same thing you are doing. Put 10,000 miles on my 458 with a lot of track days and then ultimately ended up buying a Challenge car when I found the track was the only place I really enjoyed driving the car.

9. Ky1e

Ky1e Formula 3

Mar 4, 2011
    FL
    I did another Chin Sebring track day yesterday. Another great day!

I used Track Tape this time and highly recommend it. I put it all over the front of the car and rocker panels (on top of my 3M plastic) and after the event just peeled it off and the car was l clean! Definitely worth it.

The only maintenance items are I need new pads and I'll move up to Trofero tires. Also a brake flush between track days.

The first track day I went to in June I had an awesome instructor, he was a CUP car racer and was REALLY helpful. This time it was a little odd because I went through 3 instructors because they werent comfortable with the speeds. I wasnt reckless, or out of control they just werent comfortable sitting in the passenger seat at those speeds. I was starting to get a complex going through all these instructors and kept asking if I was doing anything wrong, if they thought I was being reckless, or out of control and they all said the same thing -- that I was an excellent driver with great lines but it was a risk reward thing (which I understand). I wouldnt want to be a passenger with a guy with 2 track sessions going 134 mph into turn 7, who knows how fast around Bishops Bend,152 down the back straight into turn 17, etc..

I think the problem was that they were recreation drivers and all 3 happened to drive Miatas so their perspective of what speed you should be carrying into corners was very different. Also going those speeds, that hard with someone who only has 2 track days cannot be a fun experience for the passenger.

They recommended I move up to the intermediate group next time (but still have an instructor).

10. JG333SP

JG333SP Formula 3

Mar 24, 2010
    N Shore, MA
    Full Name:
    Jim G
    Always wanted to drive on this track w/ all the history associated-good for you! I grew up not too far from here (Gville).

Also, I say take it as a compliment that you spooked the instructors!

11. singletrack

singletrack F1 Veteran

Mar 16, 2011
    Pittsburgh, PA
    It's a good compliment. I'd be uncomfortable too honestly as a passenger. : )

You might consider Michelin Cup 2's also.

Have you done any skidpad time and what setting do you have the traction control in? You might consider doing a car control clinic or private skidpad. Stakes can be high in certain turns at Sebring, so best to get really comfortable with your car control. That can be hard to do at a track day.

Have fun out there!

12. 95spiderman

95spiderman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    ny
    You might want to get some experience at pbir or homested w infield layout before hispeed tracks like daytona and sebring.
    Dangerous not only for instructor but you too

13. RotarySwingGolf

RotarySwingGolf Formula Junior

Dec 24, 2011
    Florida and Idaho
    The Miata driver instructors with chin will give you some grief, especially when you go to do your checkout drive with one of them. They run different lines through many of the turns there because they rely so much on momentum and that's not the fastest way around Sebring in a car with any power. Just consider moving into something safer if you really start to enjoy going to the track. I used to track my Modena a lot and then went to 360 and 458 challenge cars that I race and don't feel safe in street cars. The average high performance street car today has way too much power to be safely used on the track by most people buying them

14. Ky1e

Ky1e Formula 3

Mar 4, 2011
    FL
    I havent had any skid pad time but would love to try it out. Chin is trying to get some skid pad time arranged. I am very comfortable with car control, always drive my car with all nannies off (except when its raining) when on the street and I have always been able to control drift a car and manage slide recovery.

I would consider getting a track car except for the limited use it would get. I'd probable get maybe 6 days a yea in it but it is something I'll consider once I get a few more days in and know that it is a hobby I'm going to do regularly. I'm interested to hear what makes you feel safer in the Challenge cars. I'm assuming its a little of everything (full harness system, lighter for better braking, track tires, etc).

Do you like the CUP 2 tires better? The owner of FofTB son runs in the Challenge series and they recommended the Trofero's but I'd be interested in another perspective.

The Michelin Super Sports were clearly too much of a street tire-- they would get over heated 1/2 way through each sessions and the car would get noticeably looser and i'd have to go slower to let them cold down. A more track oriented tire is definitely in order so I want to compare Trofero to CUP tires.

15. RotarySwingGolf

Dec 24, 2011
    Florida and Idaho
    Onofrio is a friend, he's not running the challenge series anymore but I'd take his reco on street tires. I run slicks so I can't make any reco there.

As for the safety, the roll cage and the 6 point so you can wear a hans device are non-negotiable in my book. I've broken my neck before (mountain biking, not driving) and so so not having a head restraint (I also use a halo seat, although it is limited in what it can do) is foolish.

I did it just like everyone else starting, drove with a three point seat belt in my comfy leather seats and now that I've been doing this a while, involved in a "touch" during a race and hit a wall during practice (through Bishop at Sebring, so ya, I was scootin') and had COUNTLESS people I know be involved in wrecks at the track, safety is of utmost importance to me. My teammate was the one involved in the 458 ch crash with CCR last month. My team and I have taken even further precautions since then from things we learned from the crash.

It's very serious business driving a 458 at the speeds you are. Down the back straight at Sebring we're going similar speeds (I have an evo kit so more drag) but my car going into 17 is going to brake much later and carry more speed through the turn, but you're hauling the mail going into 17 and I've seen many a car hit the wall in Chin events at 17. Nosing in there with no Hans device is a basal skull fracture waiting to happen.

I'm reiterating things that I heard from all the "old guys" when I first started, it's not a matter of if, it WILL happen if you drive long enough. I've spun at Road Atlanta because of a car setup issue and because there was oil dropped on the track. Two things out of your control.

Long story short, at the speeds you're going in a 458 I wouldn't want to get in the car either without all the possible safety devices I could. I'm sure you've heard all this and you'll hear it again and again until you start preaching it yourself most likely!

Last thing, I'm not an "old fuddy duddy" either, I'm 39 and I'm not slow. I've won 6 out of 9 races this year in four different cars and set 4 lap records in three different cars, including the 360 challenge and NARRA TT3 lap record at Sebring, which is my home track. I've raced and won and set a lap record in Radical SR3 and SR8 and I love driving them more than anything - but won't run them anymore just because they're open cockpit - it's not worth the additional risk to me anymore.

16. Ky1e

Ky1e Formula 3

Mar 4, 2011
    FL
    All great advice, and I appreciate it thank you. What do you think about if I get a 5 point + hans device for the car but leave my 3 point restraint in place for daily driving? Then if I want to do it more frequently than every 3 months look into a track car?

BTW I admire the skills of anyone who is even in an intermediate group let alone some one who has dedicated track cars and competes-- that is definitely living very close to the edge and takes a tremendous amount of skill and experience.

17. RotarySwingGolf

Dec 24, 2011
    Florida and Idaho
    I did the exact same thing in my Modena. I bought a custom harness bar and put in race seats and 6 points. However there is a very valid school of thought out there that suggests this is even more dangerous in a rollover because it doesn't let you submarine when the roof gets crushed. Rollovers don't happen often in these cars but as the saying goes it just takes once.

It's really an interesting time in track days. With the guy dying at road Atlanta at a de event recently safety concerns have been brought to the forefront again. The reality is a street car just isn't very safe at a race track at the speeds something like a vette or 458 is capable of. My poor little 360ch with aero does 160 down that back straight at road Atlanta. Add about 12-15 to that for the 458 and any accident or off turns into something insanely dangerous.

I've won two races at road Atlanta this year in the 360 and managed to stay clean the entire weekend but had a mega spin because of oil on the track. You can see it here http://youtu.be/f79CwRMgGPU

It happened so fast that there was absolutely nothing I could do other than try and keep it out of the wall which I was barely able to do. **** happens and it happens fast on a race track in cars this capable. During this one weekend there were at least 6-8 significant offs causing damage. Many of them were the crazy kids in the formula cars, but we had several in the GT class with all well experienced racers. It's just not preventable at some level, you're just as likely to get taken out by someone else as you are to make a mistake on your own. Too many things outside of ones control, blown tire, exploded rotors, broken drive shaft, brakes gone, it all happens at one point or another.

So, the only way to truly mitigate the risks to an acceptable level for me personally is to have a proper race car. I bought a GT-R as a back up track car when my 360ch was broken and I drove it at Sebring 5 laps before I hated it. Not only because a street car, even one as capable as a brand new gtr, handles like **** compared to any proper race car, but also I didn't feel safe even with me behind the wheel.

So I now race the 458 and have the 360 as a backup. I realize that scenario is completely unreasonable for most but it doesn't have to be a ferrari. A Miata, e36 M3 or any other proper race car will not only be more fun, but it might just save your life some day.

18. Ky1e

Ky1e Formula 3

Mar 4, 2011
    FL
    Great save in the vid! Especially driving backwards away from the wall.

19. singletrack

singletrack F1 Veteran

Mar 16, 2011
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Sounds like you have very good natural ability and you are eager to learn. That is the recipe for success IMHO.

You will have a freakin' blast on the skidpad...it is really awesome and invaluable on many levels.

I use a 3point in my street cars for HPDE, but use HANS in formula cars which in which push much harder...also fireproof underwear ; P

But as Rotary points out, things can happen. I don't want to cage my street cars because one is for touring and the other is still double duty as a "date night car" ; ) A cage in street car can be dangerous because you don't want to smash your head off it in a "routine" accident - may lead to a massive head injury. So there is no "one solution" for all. Some neck restraint systems don't require a harness now, but secure the helmet via a brace around your torso. I might get one for HPDE because I keep getting faster and hope to be around for a while : )

20. Ky1e

Ky1e Formula 3

Mar 4, 2011
    FL
    I think I'm going to buy a 458 Challenge car for the track. There is one owned by a member here that I'm considering. 2012 with 3000 miles about 10 track events of use, used by recreational driver (not used on the Challenge series). No accidents, all original, telemetry system, cool suit, 2 sets of wheels, up to date service. Anything I should look for?

Whats the best way to get Challenge car checked out (since yo cant drive it, it's unlike any other car purchase I've made)... any advice?

21. dwe8922

dwe8922 Formula Junior

Feb 27, 2004
    FL
    Full Name:
    David
    I think I was behind you at Sebring; red sypder? My student was in a yellow 996 gt3.

Rotary is correct. Most will start with their street car, build that up, and then eventually go to a race car. The cars are so fast now, that they really can be unsafe in an off at big speeds with no safety equipment. I did the same path, and I told Rotary he would probably follow the same path when he had his street car. I race a cup car, and I have a scud. Even the scud doesn't hold a candle to a real race car on track, nor is anywhere near as safe. I'm not saying that there is no place for street cars on track, because we would have no racers as few are going to transition from street driving a sports car to tracking a full on race car. It's just the speeds are a lot greater now so you have to be careful.....

Ask Rotary on a local shop since he's racing them. I'm sure FCF could look at it as they support challenge cars and are familiar with them.

David

22. RotarySwingGolf

Dec 24, 2011
    Florida and Idaho
    You'd be crazy if you didn't take it to a dealer or team to have it independently checked. Honestly there's not a lot mystery on these cars like the 360 and 430s. They're pretty damn reliable but the gear box is an issue, a big one. If you're talking about Joes car then he thinks it has the second gen gearbox, but even if it's the 4th there really isn't anything different other than the harness position and wire routing - which is changed with zip ties lol. The reality is it's probably going to grenade at some point unless you just get lucky, so just anticipate it a $16k box plus $3k labor at some point in the future.

Brake pads have to be bedded in properly on the ccm's or they will disentegrate, but that's a wear item. Make sure the software is up to date as there are issues that the car won't make full power over 8k without the update, but it's free.

I always get a compression test done on any ferrari I buy, so I'd do that as part of the deal. Lastly is spares. They're expensive so get what you can as wheels are about $9k a set.

23. Ky1e

Ky1e Formula 3

Mar 4, 2011
    FL
    Yes that was me.

I'm going to send it to FofCF to get checked out. I'll have them look at the compression, gearbox, brakes, and other normal PPI items.

What items do you recommend I buy? Any advice on the cool suit shirts, body suits, shoes, gloves etc? Do you recommend flame retardant under garments? Any other items?

I'm planning on keeping it my garage on a lift then towing it behind my SUV on an open trailer to events and having FoTB do maintenance before each track day.

24. singletrack

singletrack F1 Veteran

Mar 16, 2011
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Pretty awesome thread to see someone go straight at it like this!

I'm sure these guys have a lot more experience than me, but I like my sparco suit a lot. They will also custom fit it for you and turn it around in a couple weeks via mail to CA for a nominal fee. I like alpine stars underwear and shoes, and love my sparco gloves. All the stuff is fireproof - for a time : )

I use this stuff in a formula car, so no room for a cooling unit for me. I'll be interested to hear other's replies.

25. RotarySwingGolf

Dec 24, 2011
    Florida and Idaho
    Cool shirt and momo make good stuff. For a race suit get the best you can afford. In essence the more expensive it is the more comfortable and light weight it will be so it won't be so damn hot when your sitting in the paddock. I like puma shoes for fit and function. For gloves sparco momo and alpine stars are all good.

Get flame retardant everything. Socks underwear balaclava etc.

You're a lot like me jumping in head first so if I can help in anyway let me know. I live in Windermere during the winter and will be back for the summer in a few weeks.