Using Street Tires or R-compound on the track? | FerrariChat

Using Street Tires or R-compound on the track?

Discussion in 'Tracking & Driver Education' started by jakermc, Jul 14, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. jakermc

jakermc Formula 3
    Owner

Jan 17, 2004
    Palm Beach, FL
    Full Name:
    Rob
    I am trying to collect some data to help the newer track day enthusiast choose the right tires for their car and would love your help.

In short, its a quick 5 minute survey for drivers running tires Max, Extreme, or R-compound tires to share their experiences. The goal is to use this information to build and publish a knowledge base website aimed at beginner, novice and intermediate track enthusiasts. We want to answer the questions we hear most often:

1) Which tires are the most popular among track day enthusiasts?
    2) Which tires perform the best on the track?
    3) Can I still run these tires if it rains?
    4) Where should I set my tire pressures?
    5) What size tire should I buy?

Pay it forward to the newbies and submit a review!

https://www.surveymonkey.com/s/tracktiresurvey

2. Ingenere

Ingenere F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Dec 11, 2001
    On the Limit
    Full Name:
    Dino
    For the new track guy, just keep the car bone stock as there is a real good chance the only improvement needed is the variable behind the wheel.

3. Teachdocs

Teachdocs Formula Junior

Sep 3, 2012
    Kansas City area
    Full Name:
    Chad
    +1

Stay with OEM setup or something very similar.

If changing tires due to OEM need replaced, consensus seems to be the MPSS.
    The age of the tire is just as important as tread depth. Look at the DOT stamp.
    Full tread depth is not as good as partial tread depth as the blocks will tend to chunk and deform quickly.

Run cold pressures as recommended by Ferrari if OEM tires. The Michelins (MPSS) seem to like higher pressures, about 38 Psi when HOT in my opinion.

For newbies on the track, the best thing you can do is work with an experienced instructor. It's also best to start out in something other than your street Ferrari. Go to a driving school, then go to a racing school, then join up at a track day and learn from fellow amateur DE people.

It's possible to completely destroy a new set of tires in one 20 minute track session and also possible to get 16-18 sessions out of a set. The variable is the driver.

Good luck and best wishes on the track!

4. gsfent

gsfent Formula 3

Nov 16, 2009
    PB County, Florida
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    Great info above. I only disagree with leaving stock street tires at stock pressures.

On the track, you will generate a fair amount of heat. The pressures will increase. If you bump the starting pressure, you will limit the pressure/heat growth. The tire doing the most work should get the largest cold pressure bump (typically LF on clockwise tracks, RF on CC tracks for a front engine car, like a 550)). You do NOT really want to exceed the manufacturers specs when hot.

On a clockwise track, with no other info, on a front engine car with over 50% of the weight in front, I typically start by adding 4 psi to LF, 2 psi to RL and LF and leave the RR alone (it is not doing all that much work). When you come in to the hot pits, get a quick reading (even better if you have a pyrometer). Then you can adjust the tires based on pressure and feel of the car after the tires have cooled down and come to a resting pressure.

Different for rear or mid rear engine cars, but the concept is the same.

Regards,
    Jerry

5. boxerman

boxerman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2004
    FL
    Full Name:
    Sean
    Any type of serious tracking, you need another set of wheels and something like hossier slicks.

Street tires are too snappy and too bendy.
    R compounds last 1 serious day.

6. Ky1e

Ky1e Formula 3

Mar 4, 2011
    FL
    Went with mich pilot supper sports and they got too squirrelly 2/3 of the way through a hard session once they were really hot. It was very noticable. The car would start to slide and get very loose. IMO they are too soft when they are upto hot track specs. My instructor agreed and on each session I would have to take a slower lap to let the tires cool off. Im going with pirelli trofero's for my next outing.

7. RallyeChris

RallyeChris Formula Junior

Nov 30, 2012
    Northport, NY
    Full Name:
    S.C.Conigliaro
    Your experience sounds typical of someone running too much pressure. I have experienced this on many street and track (r-comp) tires. You simply need to reduce the pressure until you find the sweet spot. Often times, this will lead to cold pressures far lower than expected. I have found most Michelins prefer lower pressures, as opposed to Bridgestones that prefer higher pressures. Generally, track/r-comp tires prefer lower pressures, while high performance OE tires prefer higher pressures. However, 1-2 psi too much can cause that "greasy" feeling. The last set of Michelin and Bridgestone performance street tires i drove on at the track like 36psi and 38psi HOT respectively. My Nitto NT-01s like 30psi HOT. Any more, and they will have very little grip half-way into the session.