Smooth shifting | FerrariChat

Smooth shifting

Discussion in 'Tracking & Driver Education' started by Dr.Gee, Aug 3, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Dr.Gee

Dr.Gee Karting

Mar 18, 2015
    Detroit
    Full Name:
    Gee Monie
    My recent purchase of a 3 pedal 360 was the first manual car I've owned. I knew how to drive a stick and this the first time I've been able to fine tune my skills.experimenting, it seems on both an up shift and down shift the shift is smoother if I apply minimal pressure(increase revs) during the shift before the gear engages. I'm trying wrap my head around this. To me the up shift makes sense. Once engaged, more pressure will need to be applied to get you back to the rpm value you shifted out of.so if you help increase the engine speed out off gear,it willbe closer to the rpm you shifted out of. It seems like downshifting should be the opposite.

2. spirot

spirot F1 World Champ

Dec 12, 2005
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Tom Spiro
    For up,shifts speeding up the lay shafts does not really do much by might make the shift seem smoother but the gears are moving at engine speed ... Going down the gears are not moving at the same speed so that is why the need for the blip upon letting out the clutch

Synchro cones take care of the speeds but it's smoother with the blip - play doing it right is just cool!

3. Entropy

Entropy Formula 3
    Owner

Jul 10, 2008
    (note - not mentioning "engine braking" here....)

this video might be helpful. it's a bit long but quite good, and a good refresher. I actually had my wife and daughter watch this....Hurley is a very gifted instructor. Fast forward to the driving bits...

I raced a 911 for many years, consistently perfect downshifts are still elusive!

you should not need any additional throttle on upshifts - if anything, try slowing them down and being smooth. I recently purchased a 355 6-speed, my first gated shift car, and "slow is smooth, smooth is fast".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YqYeusE8ksk

4. JWeiss

JWeiss F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 18, 2010
    NYC and Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    JWeiss
    Seems to me you do need to ride the throttle to match revs on upshifts in these cars, especially if you're not particularly fast in the shift. The engine dive-bombs to idle as soon as you get on the clutch, so revs drop below the engagement point very quickly. If you don't match with the throttle, you'll be matching with the clutch on re-engagement.