Recommendations for home alignment tools? | FerrariChat

Recommendations for home alignment tools?

Discussion in 'Tracking & Driver Education' started by nathandarby67, Aug 7, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. nathandarby67

nathandarby67 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Feb 1, 2005
    Mississippi
    Full Name:
    Nathan
    #1 nathandarby67, Aug 7, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    We were recently able to take our Chump/WRL Monster Miata to the track for the first time for some shakedown and testing. We went to NOLA Motorsports Park for an open track day, and it was fantastic...only a couple other people there and we literally had the whole track to ourselves for several hours during the day.

Anyhow, we've got some alignment issues. Most pressing, the car is set up with way too much rear camber. Inside rear tire temps were 30-40 degrees hotter than the outsides. I'm not sure why the car is adjusted this way, the guy we bought it from had been using it for autocross, although it was originally built and raced in SCCA F-Production. Maybe he had a reason, who knows. Not sure what the current setting is, but it is a lot. If I had to guess I'd say 3 degrees or so from eyeballing it. Don't have a great pic directly from the rear but you can sort of see below.

Anyway, we need to get this corrected so I've been looking at options for home alignment tools. With camber/caster gauges, do people generally prefer the magnetic type or the wheel mount types? Is spending the extra money on a digital version worthwhile or will a bubble level version do well enough? Also looking at toe plates...any recommendations there?
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. fatbillybob

fatbillybob Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 10, 2002
    socal
    I SCCA club race. Raced NOLA this year and I like that track and the food around NOLA. To do alignments you need to invest very little. You can find a good alignment shop who can scale and align for about $500/session. You can do it yourself for a $1000 set of scales and very cheap tools. You need slip plates 12x12" steel plates with grease in between, good laser level, "L" rules, ruler, $60 toe plates off Ebay, 2 tape measures, a home depot bucket, aquarium tubing.

3. fatbillybob

Consultant Owner

Aug 10, 2002
    socal
    #3 fatbillybob, Aug 7, 2015
  4. fatbillybob

Consultant Owner

Aug 10, 2002
    socal
    Very quickly you 1st shim your floor to make sure it is flat using bucket and aquarium tube taped to a ruler.

air in tires to hot pressures

scale car/ corner balance

set thrust to zero

set rear camber and rear toe

set front toe camber caster

5. nathandarby67

nathandarby67 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Feb 1, 2005
    Mississippi
    Full Name:
    Nathan
    How critical is it to corner weight the car prior to alignment? I realize that it is of course ideal, but is it possible to at least get a reasonable alignment without corner balancing? If I were to just dial out a couple of degrees of rear camber without touching anything else is that asking for trouble?

6. Fast_ian

Fast_ian Two Time F1 World Champ

Sep 25, 2006
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    Ian Anderson
    :eek:

We used to use 4 x bathroom scales - Less than $50 each.....

Weird looks from the checkout clerk as to why we're buying four scales, but beyond that it worked well! ;)

Beyond that, yeah, I agree - Get 'er level, then encase the thing in string and measure from that.

Cheers,
    Ian

7. Fast_ian

Sep 25, 2006
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    Ian Anderson
    Don't see why it would. We used to tweak camber based on tire temps all the time - Just don't go crazy, and keep good records of what you did & the effects.....

Cheers,
    Ian

8. nathandarby67

nathandarby67 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Feb 1, 2005
    Mississippi
    Full Name:
    Nathan
    What kind of car were you weighing? Ballpark guessing our car weighs maybe 1500-1600 lbs....can you easily find bathroom scales that read to 450-500 lbs?

What type of device were y'all using to measure camber?

9. Fast_ian

Sep 25, 2006
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    Ian Anderson
    Mainly F3, but also many "touring cars" like yours....

Sure! A quick search at Amazon turned this up for example;

Amazon.com: A&D Medical Deluxe Connected Weight Scale, Black: Health & Personal Care

Damn thing will even display to your iPhone! :) [Although, I guess it may get confused with 4 scales in range! ;) ]

IIRC, and it's been a *long* time, a good ol' Goodyear (Firestone?) camber gauge - Generally just against the tire - Rotate 90deg's, remeasure, rinse & repeat for 180 & 270. We never "trusted" the wheels to be true. But 3-4 measurements off the tires would get us "close enough".

I've also cut the excess length off the gauge before now so as to go directly onto the wheel, but even then still rotated the thing to check.

Cheers,
    Ian

10. fatbillybob

Consultant Owner

Aug 10, 2002
    socal
    I think very. For me doing all this manually it takes me a whole day to scale and align. If I skip the very beginning scaling I magnify error to the very end and waste time. But scaling is scaling and aligning is aligning. They are separate issue but you have to have a well scaled car to have a good foundation and expectation of what alignment is doing. What you don't want to do is align then alter to compensate for an error that is really corner weight. But hey I know guys who have bent a tie rod, bent it back by eye raced and won that day! Not ideal but if you got time as part of your prerace checklist enough things go wrong under the best of conditions such that I want to go into my race as 100% as I personally can get.

11. fatbillybob

Consultant Owner

Aug 10, 2002
    socal
    If wheels aren't true you got bigger problems. If you got more than 2oz of weigh on modern rubber your wheels are 020-40" out. Making sure wheels are true is also part of your prerace checklist. I mount and balance my own race tires too. There are a whole bunch of dumb things I do there too which could be a thread all by itself.

12. bpu699

bpu699 F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Dec 9, 2003
    wisconsin/chicago
    Full Name:
    bo
    How do you guys do the corner weights when the sway bar isn't removable?

For example, on my 930 the front sway bar is permanently mounted to the a-arms...

So whenever I try to lower one side or raise it, it directly impact the other side...

I haven't corner weighted it yet, but trying to figure how that would work in this situation?

Like the prior poster said, a digital level is awesome. You can easily measure caster by taking the wheel of and just applying the level to the strut...

13. Fast_ian

Sep 25, 2006
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    Ian Anderson
    +1

All perfectly stated! :)

Was the tie rod guy you, by chance? ;)

[Off topic alert]

Another of the reasons Ronnie (& maybe Fred?) were/are so cool. The former trashed his Lotus in Monaco when I was there. The guys got it back together in time for qualy, but didn't have time to align it beyond the good ol' "mark one eyeball".

Ronnie went quicker.

Cheers,
    Ian

14. nathandarby67

nathandarby67 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Feb 1, 2005
    Mississippi
    Full Name:
    Nathan
    We've got two sets of wheels, both of which have seen a good deal of use from the looks of them, but haven't checked to see if they are 100% true. This being a beginner-level Chump/WRL venture we aren't keen to spend a ton on new wheels if we don't have to!

With that in mind, perhaps going with a center hub mount magnetic camber gauge would take any possible wheel warping out of the equation?

15. Fast_ian

Sep 25, 2006
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    Ian Anderson
    No reason to buy new wheels!

0-270-90-180 with the gauge on the tire.

Then, if you want to really know, swap that out for another, remeasure. Rinse & repeat for all 8 wheels.

:eek:

I'm the first to admit I'm an old fart, but that thing looks "wrong" to me in *so* many ways!

We don't really care (much) about the end of the stub axle IMO. (It should be true of course).

I want to know what's happening at the contact patch.

Cheers,
    Ian

16. Scott98

Scott98 F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 3, 2004
    Weston, FL
    Full Name:
    Scott
  17. Fast_ian

Sep 25, 2006
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    Ian Anderson
  18. Fast_ian

Sep 25, 2006
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    Ian Anderson
    Short answer; You can't :(

You must decouple the two wheels before doing corner weights will tell you anything meaningful IMO.

Cheers,
    Ian

19. nathandarby67

nathandarby67 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Feb 1, 2005
    Mississippi
    Full Name:
    Nathan
    Here is a question that just popped in my head. When doing the corner weights, I realize they should be equal side to side. However, for a modified car that does not have any factory specifications such as mine, how do I know what the front to rear percentage should ideally be? I guess 50/50 is optimal? However, I realize that is not attainable for all vehicles, and perhaps not even ideal in a given circumstance.

20. fatbillybob

Consultant Owner

Aug 10, 2002
    socal
    google it. you want 50/50 CROSSweight not side to side. You depart from 50/50 for specific reasons like weight jacking on ovals or equalizing LF and RF weights to improve straight line braking or tuning for a specifc track.

21. chrismorse

chrismorse Formula 3

Feb 16, 2004
    way north california
    Full Name:
    chris morse
    #21 chrismorse, Aug 9, 2015
    You are not going to change front to rear weight total or side to side totals without moving some heavy stuff, (battery, fuel tank, oil tank, or girlfriend)

FBB is right, "CROSS WEIGHT" needs to be equal, or as close as you can get. Don't forget to add sand bags to the drivers seat to simulate the drivers poundage.

For street cars or cars that go both left and right, we want the cross weights equal, (or close). Asymetry in design and driver position will make it almost impossible to get the cross weights equal. My 185 pounds in the left seat for example, or the battery being on the left with a 40 gallon windshield washer tank in the left front fender, (74 911).

My car also has the non adjustable antiroll bar to a arm attachments and non adjustable drop links at the rear, but I will find a way to shim the bar to chassis mounts to yield 0 affect.
    Also, (if you don't have slip plates), don't forget to roll the car foreward and back to get the sticktion out after making adjustments.
    Being a contractor, I took the woodwork approach to making a flat, level "work bench"

chris

22. millsj

millsj Karting

Oct 17, 2011
    Charleston, SC
    Full Name:
    Joe
    I'm a little late to this thread, but thought I would thrown in my $.02. I track a Miata and have a set of Flyin Miata's hub stands.

https://www.flyinmiata.com/hub-stands.html

I've used them several times and they work pretty well. Setting the alignment isn't difficult, but it is tedious. It's more of a math exercise than anything else. The problem with the Miata is in the rear, you have two eccentric bolts that both affect camber and toe. It would be next to impossible to just eyeball reducing camber without really messing up toe.

As a nice side note, you can get 5 lug mounting plates for the hub stands that will fit my 328. I haven't used them on the Ferrari yet, but that will happen in the near future.