Tires spinning on wheels, how to fix? | FerrariChat

Tires spinning on wheels, how to fix?

Discussion in 'Tracking & Driver Education' started by WILLIAM H, Aug 29, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. WILLIAM H

WILLIAM H Three Time F1 World Champ

Nov 1, 2003
    Victory Circle
    Full Name:
    HUBBSTER
    #1 WILLIAM H, Aug 29, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    So I got new Earnhardt Childress Racing 700hp engine in Corvette DP. We had an issue w tires spinning on wheels. I'm guessing too much torque for the glue on the wheels.

Other than less throttle which is bad LOL how do I fix this ?

Also got new aerodynamic package coming soon.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. Smyrna355Spider

Smyrna355Spider F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 9, 2008
    In my Garage
    Full Name:
    Scott
    I feel the only way we can solve this will be for me to come up, drive the car and take the bubbles to dinner. Let me know what day works best for you. :)

3. synchro

synchro F1 Veteran

Feb 14, 2005
    CHNDLR
    Full Name:
    Scott
    I like your support team!

4. Entropy

Entropy Formula 3
    Owner

Jul 10, 2008
    We had this issue on our race car; front tires would rotate due to braking, rear due to acceleration.

We seem to have concluded

1) the Pirellis we are using will seal, but are likely a bit slippery on the bead
    2) we tend to use tires that are recently mounted, we were suspecting the mounting tech was using a bit too much butter...
    3) the wheels are too smooth on the bead surface, and
    4) I was probably being too aggressive too early and pressures were not up
    5) seemed to occur more consistently when on stickers; if I was starting a session with even mildly scrubbed tires, we had less of an issue

So, seems like we've fixed it by

1) bead blasted the inside bead surface of the wheels to be a bit grippier - this seemed to be the biggest help
    2) I make sure I have the tires up to pressure, especially when running stickers. Not always convenient, but in qualifying we'll start pressures a notch high, do a couple warmup laps, come in and bleed down and it solved the issue. I've also since stopped using hard braking to put heat into tires on stickers. As a test, I went out and hammered the brakes and the tires rotated 90 degrees up front.

5. WILLIAM H

Nov 1, 2003
    Victory Circle
    Full Name:
    HUBBSTER
    Good one LOL :)

6. WILLIAM H

Nov 1, 2003
    Victory Circle
    Full Name:
    HUBBSTER
    Thanks we are using Pirellis & Dunlops now, had Continentals before

We usually see it after 20 min on track. I'll pass your ideas along to my. Crew Chief

7. Ney

Ney F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 20, 2004
  8. RotarySwingGolf

RotarySwingGolf Formula Junior

Dec 24, 2011
    Florida and Idaho
    Are you using lube when you put the tire on the wheel?

9. WILLIAM H

Nov 1, 2003
    Victory Circle
    Full Name:
    HUBBSTER
    Not sure,they have some glue on the tire but it's not holding at Max acceleration

10. RotarySwingGolf

RotarySwingGolf Formula Junior

Dec 24, 2011
    Florida and Idaho
    It's more about how they go on. Most everyone uses lube and that's the prob. Your tire guy will hate you because they're a pain to put on without lube but it makes a big difference.

11. fatbillybob

fatbillybob Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 10, 2002
    socal
    Bead blast wheel
    Mount with cheap hairspray

I mount my own wheel tires never an issue since but less horsepower

12. Fast_ian

Fast_ian Two Time F1 World Champ

Sep 25, 2006
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    Ian Anderson
    I like it :)

But, I've got to ask, "where & how did you you come up with hairspray?......" ;)

Dunno about you, but it's not the first (or last!) thing I'd have tried as a lube!

:)

Cheers,
    Ian

13. ProCoach

ProCoach F1 Veteran
    Owner

Sep 15, 2004
    VIR Raceway
    Full Name:
    Peter Krause
    Not a lube. Gets the rubber tacky so it sticks to the scuffed up inside bead area.

14. fatbillybob

Consultant Owner

Aug 10, 2002
    socal
    Took me a while to get good at mounting tires on wheels. Just because a tire is on is not enough. Hairspray is slippery gives about 2 mins working time, glues wheel to tire, and makes up for bad casting flash on Hoosier dotR race tires that often leak as well as spin on wheels.

15. Fast_ian

Sep 25, 2006
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    Ian Anderson
    OK.

Learn something every day.....

OK.

But again, hairspray wouldn't have popped into my head as the solution!

Great stuff! Hopefully the OP will be back soon telling us how it worked....

Cheers,
    Ian

16. smg2

smg2 F1 World Champ
    Sponsor

Apr 1, 2004
    Dumpster Fire #31
    Full Name:
    SMG
    Honestly bead locks are probably the best option. There are a couple of forces at play, under acceleration and high velocity centrifugal force is radially pulling on the tire bead, coupled with the air pressure and heat the tire the bead will lift off its seat to where the tangential force of the rim via tq and the contact patch friction on the road can cause slip in relation to the tire bead. Under braking it's heat from brakes adding to the expansion of the air and softening of the tire coupled with the tangential force exceeding the frictional force of the bead seat. i.e. the tire grip and surface area of the contact patch have more 'grip' then the tire bead. If one thinks about it, the entire contact patch has to transmit it's force thru the tire bead seat to the wheel hub, so either both share a similar surface area and frictional coefficient or the bead seat should have a greater coefficient of friction since its surface area is more then likely smaller.

I know long technical explanation, but sometimes that helps is trying to figure out how to solve a problem.

hairspray works on plastics and rubbers to make them slippery for brief periods due to the chemical compounds in it, a combination of solvents and polymers. Not to different then what happens in the 'bleach pits' at the drag strip. 'course this all falls under tire dope and the recipes are many.

bottom line, the tires grip to the road is greater then the grip to the rim.

17. WILLIAM H

Nov 1, 2003
    Victory Circle
    Full Name:
    HUBBSTER
    I'll pass the ideas along to Crew Chief

18. Steve King

Steve King F1 Rookie

Feb 15, 2001
    NY
    Is there a car in the picture?

19. Rosso328

Rosso328 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 11, 2006
    Central FL
    Full Name:
    Paul
    Obvious upside, I'm guessing the support crew may already have hairspray at hand.

20. Fast_ian

Sep 25, 2006
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    Ian Anderson
    +1 :D

Post of the thread.

I remain somewhat "concerned" that it's what FBB came up with.... ;)

Cheers,
    Ian

21. fatbillybob

Consultant Owner

Aug 10, 2002
    socal
    I got some good uses for nail polish too.

22. fatbillybob

Consultant Owner

Aug 10, 2002
    socal
    I got the idea of hair spray after using bead sealer which is for sticking tires to wheels and sealing beads from air leakage. Then found out Im not the 1st to use hairspray. If the crew chief can bare using hairspray use bead sealer. Get it from myers supply. It was made for these purposes and goes on like heavy black rubber cement and is just nasty messy but it works. Hair spray does the same thing with no mess.

23. Jungle1986

Jungle1986 Rookie

Mar 5, 2006
    #23 Jungle1986, Sep 1, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Yeh - I remember you showed us earlier - must have taken you ages to apply!
    You were using extra gloss to keep them shiny in your driving gloves right? ;)
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

24. fatbillybob

Consultant Owner

Aug 10, 2002
    socal
    Yes and extra hairspray when driving top down in 355 spyder so my hair stays nice. Shiny car and bad hair is "no es bueno"

25. Fast_ian

Sep 25, 2006
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    Ian Anderson
    Me too.... Works a treat as 'thread lock' on RC models. (Not on the threads, but rather the heads.) Any 'movement' shows up as a big ol' crack, easy to see its coming apart!......

Cheers,
    Ian