Securing Ferrari to Trailer | FerrariChat

Securing Ferrari to Trailer

Discussion in 'Tracking & Driver Education' started by RossoDiamante, Sep 11, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. RossoDiamante

RossoDiamante Karting

Jun 3, 2013
    Mid-Atlantic, US
    For those that track their car (or bring them around to shows) on a trailer, what is your experience regarding the best way to secure the car to the trailer during transport?

2. Joeyung

Joeyung Karting

Mar 9, 2011
    Kentucky
    #2 Joeyung, Sep 11, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    I have an enclosed trailer and use Mac's wheel nets. It is the safest way to secure it.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

3. jcurry

jcurry Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 16, 2012
    In the past
    Full Name:
    Jim
    #3 jcurry, Sep 11, 2015
    oooh, I like those, but ya gotta have tracks or other pickup points fwd/aft of each wheel plus another pt to anchor the strap. Since I don't have that (padded) straps through the wheels has worked fine.

4. RossoDiamante

RossoDiamante Karting

Jun 3, 2013
    Mid-Atlantic, US
    So far the consensus is to secure the car by tying down the wheels/tires in some fashion? This implies letting the car "sway" on its suspension. Anyone tie the car down by the suspension or body/tow hooks?

5. Meister

Meister F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 27, 2001
    Duluth, MN
    Full Name:
    The Meister
    Via the wheels/tires is probably the best way to go. I don't have tire nets (yet) so I usually run a strap though the lower A arm as close to the tire as I can get and strap from there, car in neutral. Front straps straight, rear criss-crossed. But overall yes the best idea is to let the car float naturally like it would riding on its own suspension

6. Dogdish

Dogdish Formula Junior

Dec 27, 2005
    Denver
    #6 Dogdish, Sep 12, 2015
  7. JG333SP

JG333SP Formula 3

Mar 24, 2010
    N Shore, MA
    Full Name:
    Jim G
    I like the size of this trailer-what brand/yr is it? Also what are the dimensions? Have you had any want for more space?

8. JG333SP

JG333SP Formula 3

Mar 24, 2010
    N Shore, MA
    Full Name:
    Jim G
    This trailer's def got enough space-of course I think I'd be nervous just getting this particular car into it!

9. jcurry

jcurry Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 16, 2012
    In the past
    Full Name:
    Jim
    Note the raised floor to get over the wheel wells, which makes loading much easier.

10. Dogdish

Dogdish Formula Junior

Dec 27, 2005
    Denver
    #10 Dogdish, Sep 13, 2015
  11. JG333SP

JG333SP Formula 3

Mar 24, 2010
    N Shore, MA
    Full Name:
    Jim G
    I don't have the space for this one (my wife would go nuts!) but this would one would really be the ultimate. Damn nice cargo in it also!

It's a long shot but I was hoping joeyung's was maybe 15 or 16ft-and I def know how big that Italia is-of course it's probably a 20 or 22

12. Joeyung

Joeyung Karting

Mar 9, 2011
    Kentucky
    Its a 22ft. trailer.

Joe Yung

13. mswncity

mswncity Karting

Feb 10, 2012
    Hailey, ID
    Joeyung, your trailer looks like a JimGlo? Great trailers from really nice people. I have had one and now have a new one on order. My last one was stolen! My advice, be sure to lock and alarm your trailers.

So when you use the Macs wheel nets what is the piece you need in the track just in front of the tire? I have been using wheel straps with good success but I think the wheel nets are less likely to damage wheel finishes.

Thanks for the help,

MW

14. dwe8922

dwe8922 Formula Junior

Feb 27, 2004
    FL
    Full Name:
    David
    I have a 24' featherlite enclosed, and tie down through the wheel spokes out to the side. The scud barely fits; inches on each side of the wheel humps. It's a wide car. Makes me nervous towing it. Any shifting at all would not be good..... 996 fits fine

15. LBBP

LBBP Formula Junior

Mac's tie downs is a great source for quality securing products for trailered automobiles. The device in front of the wheel that keeps the strap low leading to the ratchet is a idler.

E Track Idler Fitting / E-Idler

If you use through the wheel straps, Mac's offers padded wheels strap covers that work great in protecting expensive wheels.

16. mswncity

mswncity Karting

Feb 10, 2012
    Hailey, ID
    Thanks LBBP,

Macs does make great equipment and they are here in Idaho!