TAG Karts.... | FerrariChat

TAG Karts....

Discussion in 'Tracking & Driver Education' started by spirot, Oct 19, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. spirot

spirot F1 World Champ

Dec 12, 2005
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Tom Spiro
    I'm a member at Atlanta Motorsports Park - Karting, and had my first 125 CC TAG Kart expereince ... OMG!!!!

I was embarrassed how powerful and painful just one lap was. I'm by no means in shape but i was absolutely amazed how much g force and how diffcult to drive one of these karts!

Luckly I did not buy one first... while after having thought about it, I Think i could do it and work my way up, but its way too much work - physical work... and the corners just come up so fast. the acceleration is unlike anything I've experienced before - The only car that comes close is the Ferrari F-40 LM with respect to G Forces...

My neck was so sore after just 10 Min! in the Ferrari it was 35-40 Min. ( as a passenger)

I have a new respect for Shifter - and TAG kart drivers ... its amazing. I thought having driven F Renault and lots of other high power cars this would be a challenge but more fun!... it was more like shock and awe!

I think I'll be looking at a L0206 cart ...

2. JV's89

JV's89 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jul 18, 2006
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Full Name:
    John
    I've been racing TAG since '07 and this year began racing in the Yamaha senior pipe class.
    LO206 is ok, but you may like the Yamaha class more; assuming they run at your club.

Senior pipe is only a few seconds a lap slower than the TAG class at Pittsburgh International Raceway, and it doesn't beat you up as much.

3. spirot

spirot F1 World Champ

Dec 12, 2005
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Tom Spiro
    I'm Actually from the PGH area - New Castle which is pretty close to Beave run - or PGH international... whatever its name is.

I'm also 48 - so I dont see me getting in to the shape needed to handle a TAG ... but it is fun... if i bit humbling! AMP has a lot of elevation change so its just a really tough physical track ... on a good day.

4. JV's89

JV's89 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jul 18, 2006
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Full Name:
    John
    Sure is a small world!

As for getting in shape, it's a constant struggle for me too. I'm 50, and in decent shape, but it's hard to compete with the 16 and 18 year old kids. When I run the national stuff in the Masters class I think I have an edge because of how hard the kids run in the TAG senior class. I've even managed to beat the youngsters on rare occasions. :D

If you ever find yourself coming home, it would be great to meet you at the track. They just doubled the length of the car track, and I haven't been on it yet.

As for the Wilson Circuit, it's shutting down after our last race this coming Sunday for re-paving.

If you haven't been to PIR recently, you wont recognize it. The owners are pouring tons of money into it and transforming into a world class facility.

5. FastLapp

FastLapp F1 Rookie

Mar 18, 2004
    Rhode Island
    Full Name:
    James
    Nice! We need to catch up - want to hear all about it!

6. singletrack

singletrack F1 Veteran

Mar 16, 2011
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Sweet!

I have very little karting experience. Hoping to try a Rotax in the future.

Running the Skippy series this winter myself. I had breakfast with one of the best young drivers and he was saying that the skippy car feels like "slow-motion" compared to shifter karts ; )

I don't think I realized you were from Pitt...It's PIRC now. Owned by the same people as VIR. Pretty cool track with the new addition making it 2.8 miles.

I like the kart track also, but have only been on a select few really.

7. singletrack

singletrack F1 Veteran

Mar 16, 2011
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Cool! Do you run any track days or just karts? I agree the place is really looking good.

8. spirot

spirot F1 World Champ

Dec 12, 2005
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Tom Spiro
    Born and raised in New Castle PA just 45 miles north, but worked a while in Pitt... but left about 20 year ago. bought my first Ferrari from Mario & Fuzzy at Autopalace.... used to sit there on saturday afternoons drinking wine with Scaiffe and Fuzzy.

9. JV's89

JV's89 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jul 18, 2006
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Full Name:
    John
    I haven't ran a track day in years. I actually went with Fuzzy and Giuseppe from Exoticars about ten years ago after buying my first 328.

I did spend an afternoon in John Walco's Star Mazda car a couple of years ago. That was seriously fun!

Wouldn't mind hitting the big track again, the new section looks really interesting.

10. singletrack

singletrack F1 Veteran

Mar 16, 2011
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Ha! I met Fuzzy probably 4 years ago just briefly at the PVGP. I was talking to him about a 308, but ended up buying a different one out of state. Small world.

11. singletrack

singletrack F1 Veteran

Mar 16, 2011
    Pittsburgh, PA
    I haven't needed a service on my 308 yet that I couldn't do, but I understand Giuseppe is still the man to see.

New section is a lot of fun. I'll give you a ride next year in the Scud if you like, but understand if you decline also. ; )

12. JV's89

JV's89 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jul 18, 2006
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Full Name:
    John
    I would love that! Just don't be offended if I'm terrified. I don't know how those rally guys in the passenger seat don't die from fright!

While we're there you can drive my kart on the Wilson circuit.

13. singletrack

singletrack F1 Veteran

Mar 16, 2011
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Sweet! Deal! I will make a note to PM you leading up to the first track day.

I'm the same btw. Not a great passenger.

14. JV's89

JV's89 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jul 18, 2006
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Full Name:
    John
    Looking forward to it!

15. Heat Seeker WS6

Heat Seeker WS6 Formula 3

Nov 4, 2003
    Milwaukee, WI
    Full Name:
    John G
    Me, my wife and her 2 brothers all race Komet Sr's and next year switching to X30 powered TAG karts. We've run the Rt 66 Sprint Series and what a blast this type of stuff is and Newcastle is just a fun track! Would be neat to get on a team during the Dan Wheldon Charity race there and go up against the pro's!