Front splitters-- do u need a back-up? How often do they break? | FerrariChat

Front splitters-- do u need a back-up? How often do they break?

Discussion in 'Tracking & Driver Education' started by Ky1e, Nov 16, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Ky1e

Ky1e Formula 3

Mar 4, 2011
    FL
    #1 Ky1e, Nov 16, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    The seller of the Cayman I bought has an extra CF front splitter. He paid $2400 for it and will sell for $1500. It seems like a lot for a spare splitter I may never need. How often do u guys with dedicated track cars with front splitters break them?

The car has about 1 closed fist worth of front clearance and I track mostly Sebring and Homestead and often like to cut over some lower curbs. I would think that I could get a non-carbon fiber front splitter for about $500 if and when i ever need one.

Thoughts?
    Image Unavailable, Please Login
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. CornersWell

CornersWell F1 Rookie

Nov 24, 2004
    One of the first things to get damaged is the splitter. We carry at least one as a spare in the trailer. If you're racing, as opposed to just doing track days, and it matters, get it. Also, if you're hard on them, you might as well get it patterned so you can just have them produced as you need them.

Carbon's nice. It's light and strong, but it's not exactly "resilient". You can get it made up from wood or fiberglass for considerably less. Wrap or paint them to suit. Up to you.

CW

3. LBBP

LBBP Formula Junior

Lexan (Polycarbonate) might be a better option. Use your existing one as a pattern and cut as many as you need for less money.

4. ProCoach

ProCoach F1 Veteran
    Owner

Sep 15, 2004
    VIR Raceway
    Full Name:
    Peter Krause
    Jabrock and other slightly less brittle compositions work well, too.

You don't want to drive a car without one end of the aero equation (wing or splitter).

5. GuyIncognito

GuyIncognito Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
    this.

so yeah, get a backup :eek:

6. Ky1e

Ky1e Formula 3

Mar 4, 2011
    FL
    This sounds like a good idea, thank you.