Fellow racer injured at Road Atlanta | FerrariChat

Fellow racer injured at Road Atlanta

Discussion in 'Tracking & Driver Education' started by Teachdocs, Nov 21, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Teachdocs

Teachdocs Formula Junior

Sep 3, 2012
    Kansas City area
    Full Name:
    Chad
    RB Stiewing was severely injured last week at Road Atlanta. A friend of his has set up a GoFundMe account to help with expenses and his family during his recovery.

Although I do not know RB personally, he is a fellow racer and car enthusiast so thought I would share the request.

Maybe some of you know RB personally or can share experiences.

Here is the link to share and make a donation.

Thanks!

https://dm2.gofund.me/xabdnst8

2. CornersWell

CornersWell F1 Rookie

Nov 24, 2004
    Have known RB for nearly 20 years. A really good guy.

VERY sorry to hear this.

CW

3. ProCoach

ProCoach F1 Veteran
    Owner

Sep 15, 2004
    VIR Raceway
    Full Name:
    Peter Krause
    RB is one of the core of the best instructor groups in North America.

It's a testament to the lives he's touched, and the strength of the community as a whole, that the goal will be reached in a day, and Todd was hoping it would be met by Christmas!

Get well soon, RB!

4. southnc

southnc Formula 3

Dec 25, 2013
    Charlotte, NC
    Full Name:
    Adam
    Sorry to see this.

I've gone around that track in a F355 and Boxer; that course is very demanding can be very unforgiving. Lots of Jersey barriers, etc. During a Ferrari Challenge race, saw a driver lose control during an oversteer scenario on the front stretch and ended up in a jersey barrier with a punctured lung.

Wishing him a speedy recovery. Pun intended.

5. ProCoach

ProCoach F1 Veteran
    Owner

Sep 15, 2004
    VIR Raceway
    Full Name:
    Peter Krause
    Mechanical failure, IIRC...

6. Entropy

Entropy Formula 3
    Owner

Jul 10, 2008
    Just wanted to bump this up so people notice.

Spoke to Snyder tonight, RB is "banged up good" but it will be a long recovery.

I posted a donation tonight, the fund is doing well and at this point, even a small donation is worthy of a huge gesture

7. bjwhite

bjwhite F1 Rookie

Mar 17, 2006
    Seattle, WA
    Full Name:
    Brian White
    Man, what was he driving? Straight off at turn one is no joke...

8. Entropy

Entropy Formula 3
    Owner

Jul 10, 2008
    Skippy Formula car, apparent mechanical failure but I don't have details beyond that (though I can speculate, but won't)

9. singletrack

singletrack F1 Veteran

Mar 16, 2011
    Pittsburgh, PA
    It was my car actually...right after I had gotten out of it : (

Was just about to post this.

I ate dinner with RB a couple nights after and he was in good spirits but the most sore he has ever been in his life.

Being unable to bend my back for that long would drive me crazy; I'm sure it's going to be challenging for him. Great to see the support he is receiving. Was thinking we should post this to some of the Indycar drivers twitter/facebook pages perhaps?

10. singletrack

singletrack F1 Veteran

Mar 16, 2011
    Pittsburgh, PA
    On the positive note of sharing experiences. I haven't been doing this that long, but RB was one of my instructors at my first 3-day with Skippy, then again at my 2-day. He's an awesome guy, provides sensational feedback, and is damn fast in the car. During the race season he is typically in the test driver role and not necessarily in a coaching role. It's definitely the riskiest job at Skippy and the most important in keeping customers safe.

Fun fact based on my recollection - RB was competing in the actual Ferrari challenge racing on a team with an amateur. He was so fast that they changed the rules and banned professional drivers 3/4s of the way through the season and kicked him out while he was leading! Some of the Skippy instructors like to rib him about that : )

11. spyderman

spyderman Formula 3

Nov 4, 2003
    Toronto - Canada
    Full Name:
    Spyderman
    Sad to hear and hoping he makes a full recovery.

12. Alden

Alden F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 25, 2010
    Central Florida
    Glad to help.

I worked crash corners at Road Atlanta in the late 70's, finally got on the track with my Jag late last year.

Very difficult track for a novice.
    Alden