Speciale on the track + question about DCT | FerrariChat

Speciale on the track + question about DCT

Discussion in 'Tracking & Driver Education' started by Jasone, Dec 27, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Jasone

Jasone Formula 3
    Owner

Nov 15, 2011
    Tampa Florida
    Full Name:
    Jasone
    Sharing some in car vid of my Speciale on the track.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6YYn9mzQMA4

I also have a question for Speciale owners. The downshifts are so hard, quick and sudden that my back wheels lock up and chirp especially on the 5-4, 4-3 shifts. The 3-2 shift is much smoother. This was mildly entertaining on the street but annoying as hell on the track and dangerous when downshifting in a corner.

My Speciale is always driven in CT-Off on the street and ESC-Off on the track. The shifts are much smoother in Sport which is useless to me.

Is this common with all Speciales? Anyone else have the same experience? Is there anything that can be done about it, I'm assuming the only thing that can be done is a software change.

2. Entropy

Entropy Formula 3
    Owner

Jul 10, 2008
    Watched the video.

We've tracked our Speciale quite a bit, and I have another day's worth in 2 other Speciales.

FWIW, I'll turn TC off but leave ESC on; generally speaking, if you're driving well, ESC is really just a safety net and should not have any compromise on the car at a DE event.

As for the downshifts, generally speaking no you should not be getting any rear wheel lockup or tires chirping, if anything the DCT and software do a great job of managing the shift, blips and chassis (eDiff).

At around 3:39 in your video, I hear some tire and see the rear end step out a touch, but that sounds like ABS induced with the weight forward and you turning in. However, hard to tell from just this view. Remember in ESC Off the ABS mapping changes as well and gets a bit more aggressive. Engine blips sound fine on downshifts.

To the best of my knowledge, there have been no software upgrades to the gearbox, so we are all running the same maps, unless I missed something.

3. singletrack

singletrack F1 Veteran

Mar 16, 2011
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Looks like fun! The only chirping I hear sounds like normal ABS and didn't seem to be related to the downshift, but perhaps I'm missing it.

4. Entropy

Entropy Formula 3
    Owner

Jul 10, 2008
    another thought - all Speciales in NA came with the Ferrari Telemetry as standard (it's a data logger, not telemetry, but I guess telemetry sounds better in the marketing dept)

I've only played around with it a bit, but you should be able to get brake pedal pressure information off and have it overlaid on speed. Impossible to tell from the video when you're on the brake and how hard, relative to the speed, and when you are timing your downshifts.

Regardless, you should not get, and probably are not getting, rear lockup from the downshifts unless something is severely wrong with the car (which would have alarms flashing).

However, heavy ABS braking creates a lot of chirp and depending on how you are loading/unloading the chassis, it can sound and feel more pronounced (eg. turning the car in while it's on its nose with a lot of brake, the rear will rotate and you'll hear the tire).

BTW what track is that? The Farm (?).

5. ProCoach

ProCoach F1 Veteran
    Owner

Sep 15, 2004
    VIR Raceway
    Full Name:
    Peter Krause
    You could tell what is going on with a simple AiM Solo DL...;)

6. Jasone

Jasone Formula 3
    Owner

Nov 15, 2011
    Tampa Florida
    Full Name:
    Jasone
    If anyone has figured out how to use the Ferrari PC software to do overlays I'll be happy to upload another vid with all the data. I've never been able to get it working.

Took me forever just to get a vid with sound on it.

7. Jasone

Jasone Formula 3
    Owner

Nov 15, 2011
    Tampa Florida
    Full Name:
    Jasone
    I just took a run down the street to try and catch it on vid unfortunately, you can't hear the wheels lock up but they do. 60MPH, no brakes, down shift from 3-2.

8. singletrack

singletrack F1 Veteran

Mar 16, 2011
    Pittsburgh, PA
    That can't be right; I would have it looked at personally. Maybe it is just a clutch adjustment which is needed.

9. Entropy

Entropy Formula 3
    Owner

Jul 10, 2008
    I actually set it up and it worked pretty well on the iPad app (for what it is). Quite candidly, it's probably the best "onboard, as delivered" data logging and analysis product I've seen on a car. Having said that, it does help to know how these systems work to get it set up and working. Apologies for the obvious, but getting it to work required me to actually follow the manual. If you can pull raw data, might be worth a phone consultation with Peter Krause. (it's Marelli based and behind the interface seems to act like Wintax). OR, if are in Tampa, go by the dealer and have Onofrio Jr. show you.

this is definitely not right. the gearbox will not accept a downshift IF the revs will exceed the limiter. it will also blip the appropriate revs with the appropriate intensity to match the engine revs/gear/rolling speed. you may notice the different maps (Sport, Race, et al) have different triggers. the car also adjusts itself (eg. will react differently if you go from full throttle to full brake, vs. partial throttle to soft brake).

Only thing I can think of is 1) there is a problem somewhere, which I've never seen/heard of 2) you are downshifting at the very top limit of revs, and the engine braking is overwhelming, which it should not be, but somehow is...

To Peter's earlier post, would be interesting to see the wheel speed sensor readings. A DEIS I believe can be used in real-time to monitor this (DEIS for road cars). If your tires are chirping, it means the wheel speeds are at/near zero during the downshift, or they are being dragged for some reason.

10. Jasone

Jasone Formula 3
    Owner

Nov 15, 2011
    Tampa Florida
    Full Name:
    Jasone
    Thanks so much for the reply. I haven't spoken to Onofrio Jr., he is rarely if ever at the showroom. I need to reach out to him.

How did you get your iPad connected to the car? I was able to get the WiFi connected but couldn't figure out how/where the password is displayed. The manual I have shows a screen shot from an F12 where the password is on a screen that doesn't exist on the Speciale. All the data logging seems to work fine and I can import the HDF5 file in to the PC software just fine but the video doesn't have sound or play through the software. I had to open it up in a 3rd party player to upload the vids I shared.

As for the downshifting, no high RPMs, no braking, just a downshift from 5 to 4 or 4 to 3 in CT-Off. Like I said earlier, it was mildly entertaining at first, driving down the road at normal speeds, downshifting and having the tires chirp. I always thought.. wow, that is so fast and quick the tires chirp on a downshift, kinda cool.. but on a track, not cool at all.

Thanks again for the insight and help.

11. Entropy

Entropy Formula 3
    Owner

Jul 10, 2008
    Hmm. I did this over a year ago, so I'll have to get my iPad down to the car and refresh my memory! I do recall it took me a couple attempts (user error) and remember you need to have the USB key inserted into the right receptacle (but sounds like you do that if you're pulling video).

IIRC I had the issue we all seem to have when pairing devices on bluetooth - i.e. I was jumping ahead too quickly and the device was not captured. But let me try again. I also think at one pointed I deleted the app and reinstalled it.

12. rmitchell248

rmitchell248 Formula 3

May 26, 2013
    Nürburg
    Full Name:
    Robert
    I'm sorry I hadn't seen this thread sooner. Last summer I was running a friends speciale and sure enough on downshift it chirps the rear tires. It has nothing to do with abs or esc. To me it seemed like an issue with rev matching on the transmission programming.

Imagine a downshift in a manual car without a rev match.

I have watched many cars on video as well and have not seen it in other cars. Your report is the first other than the one I was driving.

13. bigblock737

bigblock737 Formula Junior

Dec 19, 2013
    Germany
    Full Name:
    Andy B.
    Why on earth should I do downshifts without braking in a rev-range where the rear wheels might lock up ? I would never rely on electronic assistants...

14. North bay tech

Apr 18, 2015
    Fountain Hills, AZ
    Full Name:
    Josh Bare
    I didn't notice any chirping in the videos other than occassionally of hard braking. This is just a thought, what if it is the drive belt and not the tires? The belts will chirp on hard upshifts, I could see them chirping on a hard down shift as well.

15. Rosso328

Rosso328 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 11, 2006
    Central FL
    Full Name:
    Paul
    Drive belts chirping? Really? How?

Also, 458's have chains.

No, I think we're talking tires.

16. Caeruleus11

Caeruleus11 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 11, 2013
    I think it really is an issue with the DCT program and traction. Becareful as a poorly executed downshift in a stick car can cause a spin and the fact your tires are chirping on downshifts says you are breaking traction and that upsets the car's balance. Not something you want...

17. Entropy

Entropy Formula 3
    Owner

Jul 10, 2008
    the 458 engine's valve train is absolutely chains.

However, the alternator, A/C compressor, et al are all spun by a (more traditional) belt. About $70....

These belts can slip slightly and "chirp", particularly when engine rev changes are abrupt (eg. a high rpm, aggressive downshift throttle blip). Across our cars, I never heard it, but I HAVE heard it on other cars.

I am unsure if it is an adjustment, material or contamination (i.e. did someone spray stuff they should not have on there) issue.

As for downshifting, unless your DCT has an issue OR the programming is off, OR you happen to be timing your downshifts such that the tires are exactly on a surface with different friction levels, the chances that the tires are instantaneously locking (chirping) is very slight. I'm sure you can make it happen (i.e. downshift in a puddle then continue onto dry pavement).

18. vinuneuro

vinuneuro F1 Rookie

May 6, 2007
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    Vig
    Since you have a datalogger just post screenshots of the trace overlays. Should be pretty obvious if the rear is locking.

19. North bay tech

Apr 18, 2015
    Fountain Hills, AZ
    Full Name:
    Josh Bare
    The belt squeak is a normal and known issue on all 458's and more pronounced on the Speciale, just about every one will do it if driven hard.