Tracking at Sonoma | FerrariChat

Tracking at Sonoma

Discussion in 'Tracking & Driver Education' started by Dolceexte, Jan 12, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Dolceexte

Dolceexte Formula 3

Dec 20, 2015
    Anyone have experience with this and what the process is like? Heard from the dealership that most cars that come back will shred the windshield etc. Thanks!

2. Entropy

Entropy Formula 3
    Owner

Jul 10, 2008
    ??? the process? as in, finding/registering for a DE event? or prepping your car?

1) down in the NorCal section, the folks local to Sonoma probably know the track, the routines and the organizers of DE days intimately, might suggest posting there. Ping one of the FOG guys and see if you can join them

2) if you're new to DE driving, I would do a search as there are many threads on the topic, plus on other forums (eg. Rennlist) including some "first timer advice"

Doing a DE event (if done properly) will certainly wear out your tires and brakes, but is a lot of fun. Some people rely on 3M/Xpel to protect the paint, and yes, windshields can get pitted but you can put a film on as well (most people don't find that to be a requirement)

3. Dolceexte

Dolceexte Formula 3

Dec 20, 2015

All of the above thanks! I'm working through the dealership. My only track times are in Laguna and Las Vegas through organized training/teaching groups where they provide the vehicles.

4. mswncity

mswncity Karting

Feb 10, 2012
    Hailey, ID
    May I suggest an alternative? Find a Ferrari friendly event at Thunderhill. The three mile course here is much safer, more flowing and more fun. A great place to practice driving your car at speed on a track. Sonoma can be unforgiving of mistakes.

MW

5. Mike Hedlund

Mike Hedlund Karting

May 30, 2012
    Woodside, CA
    Full Name:
    Mike Hedlund
    Sonoma is *awesome* to drive. If you're going with a good group (dedicated instructor through out the day, etc), it's a perfectly safe venue. If you're new to track driving I'd try to avoid it in the wet.

Here's a couple laps from a test we did there over the Summer in the 458 GT3: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lG7_DXrdeGE

The track is a slightly different config than they run on normal track days (IndyCar config w/ the chicane instead of the wicked fast T10).

What dealership are you using? The guys at Silicon Valley Ferrari have a very active track driver program (from track days in street cars up to running the 24 Hours of Le Mans).

ps: my first ever day on track was at Sonoma, in the rain, in an Acura NSX w/ NASA.

-mike

6. Ky1e

Ky1e Formula 3

Mar 4, 2011
    FL
    Mike the video in the link says "private video" and it cant be viewed.

7. Dolceexte

Dolceexte Formula 3

Dec 20, 2015

Looking at options through SF one. Thanks for the tips.

8. Mike Hedlund

Mike Hedlund Karting

May 30, 2012
    Woodside, CA
    Full Name:
    Mike Hedlund
    Woops, fixed!

-mike

9. LeftCoaster

LeftCoaster Rookie

Oct 31, 2015
    SoCal
    Sonoma is a lot of fun but respect the track. Per previous comments, Thunderhill is a more forgiving venue. NASA NorCal has a decent instruction set up for Sonoma, usually in March. Have fun.

10. billboboy

billboboy Formula Junior

Aug 15, 2015
    San Jose, CA
    Full Name:
    Will L
    The Simraceway Performance Driving school at Sonoma is excellent. They have a program specifically for driving your own car. If you're new to tracking it's definitely a great way to get started. Sonoma raceway is a highly technical track with little runout which will definitely motivate you on your precision work. I've taken my 360 there for training.
    Simraceway Performance Driving Center ? | Performance Driving

11. dakharris

dakharris Two Time F1 World Champ

Jun 7, 2001
    Sleepy Hollow
    Full Name:
    Cavaliere Senzatesta
    This is instructive: [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-n4_f6bxy7g[/ame] You can hire Dave as a coach and let Jay film you. Sonoma is a more technical track. Very fun, but several places that a mistake will end with a trip to the body shop.The Challenge races will be there in April. You can take advantage of three days of free track time courtesy of FNA and FSF. BTW, my avatar is the hairpin at Sonoma.

12. rockitman

rockitman F1 Veteran

May 31, 2015
    Upstate, NY
    Full Name:
    Christian
    Funny how first track days work out. My first day ever was at Watkins Glen in the rain driving my shiny new '04 911 GT3....
    Love Sonoma. Closest I have been is on my driving simulator.

13. stokpro

stokpro F1 Rookie
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jun 25, 2003
    Himalayas
    Awesome track. I've raced their twice in the past few months. Heading back next month. Not a lot of run off so be careful. Love the uphill section from T1 to T2.