any tracks allow cars (spyder) w/o rooo bar | FerrariChat

any tracks allow cars (spyder) w/o rooo bar

Discussion in 'Tracking & Driver Education' started by awilson, Feb 18, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. awilson

awilson Formula Junior

Sep 15, 2013
    Annapolis Md
    Full Name:
    Andrew G. Wilson,II
    Are there any tracks anywhere that allow a car w/o a roll bar or cage to use ?

2. Rosso328

Rosso328 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 11, 2006
    Central FL
    Full Name:
    Paul
    Yes, several, depending on which club/group/outfit you are going with. Check with each to see for certain.

For instance Chin Motorsports allows unmodified convertibles on track at Sebring, but they do require an additional waiver to be signed if you choose to do so. Also, plenty of unmodified hard top road cars in the novice groups. Less so in the more experienced, faster groups.

3. 308 GTB

308 GTB F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 7, 2002
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Barry Wolinsky
    #3 308 GTB, Feb 18, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  4. 95spiderman

95spiderman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    ny
    Most will allow fixed roll hoops as long as can pass 'broomstick' test. Be sure to recline seat and slouch! Lol. Most will not allow pop up hoops like on gallardo spyder though

5. Rob in Potomac

Rob in Potomac Formula Junior

Mar 3, 2006
    Potomac, MD
    Full Name:
    Robert
    #5 Rob in Potomac, Feb 19, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    This is also my experience. I ran my 360 Spider at Watkins Glen, VIR, Summit Point, and NJ MotorSports; but this was a few years ago, so would need to check on current rules. I ran with various clubs, including Ferrari, PCA, TrackDaze and some others.

What I found interesting, was that Ferrari, at least in Washington, made me run with top down, everyplace else was top up - not that it makes a big difference.

Rob
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

6. John_K_348

John_K_348 F1 Rookie

Sep 20, 2013
    Boston, MA
    Full Name:
    John E. Kenney
    My understanding from FCA-NE and IFS up here is that Thompson Speedway will allow Spiders even without roll bars on track with a helmet and DOT tires. That is my goal but recently realized we need fire rated helmet liners so the motor cycle prices don't cut it! Maybe next year.

7. Schatten

Schatten F1 World Champ
    Owner

Apr 3, 2001
    Austin, TX
    Full Name:
    Randy
    That doesn't pass the broomstick test.

As for rollbars and convertibles, depends who is organizing it, the track, and the insurance. Most I've run with allow S2000's with their factory roll hoops, but not all cars with roll hoops are allowed.

8. GTS Bruce

GTS Bruce Pisses in your Cheerios

Oct 10, 2012
    Orchard Park NY
    Full Name:
    Bruce Roche
    TMP.Toronto motorsports park Cayuga Ontario Cdn. GTS Bruce

9. DCNSX

DCNSX Formula Junior

Feb 5, 2007
    Winston-Salem, NC
    FCA at VIR in March will allow all Ferrari spyders. See my post on this forum

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

10. Ney

Ney F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 20, 2004
    Rooo bars only required in Australia.....Roll bars on the other hand....;)

11. TrueBlue02Vert

TrueBlue02Vert Karting

Apr 21, 2010
    Oakville, ON
    For the FCA track day at Canadian Tire Motorsports Park (Mosport), all convertibles are allowed ... 355 and older however are relegated to the novice group. Targas (308, 328) and 360 and newer spiders are allowed in all run groups.

12. dm_n_stuff

dm_n_stuff Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

NJ Motorsports Park is pretty careful, at least in my limited experience there.

If you can't pass the broomstick test, your car isn't getting out on track. If you pass by slouching, and then sit up to drive, you're gonna get a black flag. (ask me how I know.)

I actually looked into having my factory hoops replaced on my M roadster to make it pass more easily, but then I couldn't figure out how to get the top to close, as the factory clearance was pretty tight.

D

13. bpu699

bpu699 F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Dec 9, 2003
    wisconsin/chicago
    Full Name:
    bo
    Playing devils advocate, why does the track care? Sure it's a bad idea... But people track miatas all the time...

Obviously, if the car flips over, bad things will happen. How would the track be liable? I assume that's the concern...

14. dm_n_stuff

dm_n_stuff Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Because families of the "victims" sue over EVERYTHING. Given that as a premise, the track is doing its best to protect you from yourself and others, and themselves from you and your family.

You sign a waiver B4 you start, but we all know how much good that does when the lawsuits start rolling in

D

15. 95spiderman

95spiderman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    ny
    Its our culture unfortunately. Nurburgring actually discourages helmets! They feel it leads to more aggressive driving and I agree. Track days are not racing and should allow anyone to drive any car imo. Stupidest rules is need long sleeve t shirt. Like thats going to protect you

16. bpu699

bpu699 F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Dec 9, 2003
    wisconsin/chicago
    Full Name:
    bo
    Not being a lawyer, how does that indemnity clause in the disclaimer come in?

You know, the one that implies that the participant will pay for legal counsel, etc, for the track. Or at least I think that's what indemnify means...

Anyone ever get hit with that bill? For example, family sues... Do they then indemnify the track?

A bit off topic, but curious...

I wonder what percentage of the time these lawsuits actually result in awards...

17. bpu699

bpu699 F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Dec 9, 2003
    wisconsin/chicago
    Full Name:
    bo
    Germany and the USA are different...

I was in Poland on a tour of the underground salt mines. Plenty of areas to fall, and die. Minimal signs, some minor barriers... Keep in mind this is a national destination site.

I asked the guide what happens if someone falls down the side of a cavern. He didn't understand the question. I clarified, don't you worry about being sued?

He looked at me incredulously and said, "What? If you fall it's your stupid fault. It's pretty obvious there's a cavern there... Why would anyone sue?"

Versus America... Sigh