Stilo ST5 vs Simpson Carbon Devil Ray | FerrariChat

Stilo ST5 vs Simpson Carbon Devil Ray

Discussion in 'Tracking & Driver Education' started by Badabing!, May 31, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Badabing!

Badabing! Formula Junior

Mar 30, 2014
    NYC
    Hey guys,

I've got my 2nd DE coming up and I'm investing in my first helmet.

Need some help deciding. Please contribute your opinions.

Both are roughly same price with built in communications.

Thanks

2. mswncity

mswncity Karting

Feb 10, 2012
    Hailey, ID
    The one that fits...

3. Qvb

Qvb F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 9, 2003
    Newport Beach Ca.
    Full Name:
    John Dixon
    I love the look of the Stilo carbon helmets but when I tried one on it fit me horribly! Seriously unwearable. That made it much easier to decide and I got a Sparco. You have to try them on.

4. Carsonp

Carsonp Formula 3

Sep 29, 2004
    Minnesota - NW subs
    Full Name:
    Carson Partain
    its my understanding that the different manufacturers fit different head types. My ugly mug fit best in a simpson.

Not something id buy without trying it on first

5. Entropy

Entropy Formula 3
    Owner

Jul 10, 2008
    Safety ratings are the most important thing, and then find one that fits you.

Unfortunately it seems few people and few dealers take the time to MAKE the helmets fit, as most makers have multiple cheek pieces (thicker/thinner) that really can get the fit perfect.

Fitting on the crown of your head is key; so when I fit a helmet I take the cheek pieces and neck pieces out. If that fit is good, we then work to find the best combo of other pieces to make it comfortable and stable on the head. Even if you do "mail order", talk to the dealer about getting a mix of sizes and pads, fit it properly, then return the extra ones.

Even though I live in the US, I've purchased my helmets it Europe for past 7 years, since availability and access to the extra parts seems much easier. It's understandably very difficult for most US retailers to stock every combination. Buying a new helmet you should probably plan for a few "try and return" cycles to nail the fit. OTOH, several of the US-based dealers I've worked with have been super gracious about working with us to get the right fit/parts.

As for internal comms and features like that, it's all good, but comms and drink systems are easy to fit afterward (do NOT drill the helmet!). Most of the time your dealer can install easily and professionally (eg. on Arai helmets)

6. sainthoo

sainthoo Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 20, 2007
    Full Name:
    Christian
    Fit is an issue for me with Stilo as well. I got a XXL Stilo, and it still is a bit tight on the upper forehead. Sparco is the most comfortable for me by far, better than Bell, which is #2 for me.

7. fatbillybob

fatbillybob Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 10, 2002
    socal
    #7 fatbillybob, Jun 1, 2016
    Last edited: Jun 1, 2016
    I have both those helmets. I like them both. You can't go wrong with either. I buy the latest spec sa2015 and replace every 5 yrs with the new spec. My devil ray is 5yrs old and held up perfect and better than my stand 21 super expensive worthless helmet. The st5 is new. It has stock ear pockets removeable and are supposed to act like ear muffs. They don't work. I still need earplugs. The ear pockets can also take a earpiece to crew communication. I dont do that so I don't know if that works. I'm not sure if I am a fan of the positive visor lock around the nose. I also don't like the sticky antireflection antifog coating on the inside of the visor. It attracts dust and coats the inside of the visor like your glasses are dirty. You can see just fine but dirt on my glasses is annoying. It is also difficult to clean the visor. Best cleaned by taking visor off which is a hassle and rinsing in water to prevent you scratching the soft touch goop on the visor. In store you are fooled because there is a post it note type sticky clear visor protector. You don’t notice the antireflection film until you clean the visor the 1st time. The verdict is still out on the st5 visor film.

8. fatbillybob

fatbillybob Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 10, 2002
    socal
    Oh another thing the st5 has hans anchor fixed in the helmet. You screw the m6 studs in and that is it. But I like both anchors to be faced the same way front to back so I can slide off the lock on the hans web strap easily. You screw in the st5 and have to over tighten if you will to get the orientation of the studs right. My old devilray is drilled for hans but you have to slide the hans anchor up the helmet inside. The advantage is you screw in the studs to where you want and tighten them from the nut inside the helmet. I hope that makes sense.

9. cm2

cm2 Formula 3

Sep 26, 2012
    SF Bay
    Full Name:
    Nathan
    I have spent a few days inside a new st5 and love it. Haven't tried the Simpson. I had it fitted with dual electronics, and the earphones are great/loud and reduce a lot of sound by themselves. I have a small head, thought I would be a medium, and ended up being a large. It was still tight when it first went on, and has broken in great.

10. Heat Seeker WS6

Heat Seeker WS6 Formula 3

Nov 4, 2003
    Milwaukee, WI
    Full Name:
    John G
    I wanted a Stilo but once I tried it on I wasn't comfortable. I then went back to Pegasus Racing supply and tried on several helmets. I ended up liking a Bell's fit the most and am very happy with its purchase- although the Stilo still looks cooler!

11. rlips

rlips Formula Junior

Jul 29, 2011
    New Jersey, USA
    I have the st5 Carbon, and really like it. As Ben (entropy) says, fit is paramount, my dealer spent a good amount of time with varying pads to get it right.

Not something I'd buy mail order.

12. tomkatf

tomkatf F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 25, 2004
    San Diego...East Co.
    Full Name:
    Tom F.
    #12 tomkatf, Jun 6, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  13. Badabing!

Badabing! Formula Junior

Mar 30, 2014
    NYC
    Thanks for all the advice. I went with the devil ray and am happy with it so far