This is not good | FerrariChat

This is not good

Discussion in 'Tracking & Driver Education' started by sparetireless, Jun 11, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. fatbillybob

fatbillybob Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 10, 2002
    socal
    Horsehocky...another reason for libs to ban race gas

2. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    OMG that stuff will kill you dead.

I have to say, racing fuel smells waaaaaay too good! Maybe they need to put some stinky stuff in it.

There was a lady in my building in Las Vegas who was found dead one day. She was only like 32. She had an addition to drinking rubbing alcohol. So, its not just racing fuel that's a problem.

3. cheesey

cheesey Formula 3

Jun 23, 2011
    if someone has not managed to learn the difference between "hot and cold" or "good and bad" by this stage in their life, in interest of their self preservation, should be allowed to take the path Darwin has proposed...

4. Benternet

Benternet Formula Junior

May 4, 2014
    TN
    Full Name:
    Ben
    The TN teens were not far away from here, probably some bad rumor started that race fuel was similar to moonshine etc.

5. Pantdino4

Pantdino4 Karting

Sep 17, 2015
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Jim Oddie
    The article says that racing fuel is nearly 100% methanol. I know some cars run on methanol (methyl alcohol) but AFAIK race gas is high octane gasoline.

Methanol is "wood alcohol" and is converted to formaldehyde in the body, causing blindness. During prohibition people used to drink this stuff when they could'nt get ethanol and slowly poisoned themselves. Also some soldiers during WW2 didn't know the difference and went blind or died.

6. I16

I16 Formula 3

Sep 15, 2008
    Years ago I was working for a company that purchased tanks of alcohol [the same product that went to gin and vodka producers]
    On arrival the 44 gallon tanks were placed in bond and were then placed in a row and an amount was decanted from each tank and replaced with a mixture of wood naptha and pyridine which was also coloured with a purple dye. This was then released from bond as Methylated Spirit.
    During one summer a complete shipment went through the bond process without being treated with the bad stuff. Word must have got round the moonshiners as the complete shipment was sold out in record time.

7. GTS Bruce

GTS Bruce Pisses in your Cheerios

Oct 10, 2012
    Orchard Park NY
    Full Name:
    Bruce Roche
    Methanol is not the problem. It is the metabolic breakdown products of methanol that are deadly. So completely saturate yourself and all metabolic pathways with ethanol then enjoy an additional nightcap of methanol. Then again you might as well just switch to krokodil...

8. energy88

energy88 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2012
    West of Fredericksburg, VA
    Full Name:
    John
    "Hot & cold" are the operative words here.

Methanol burns with an invisible flame and since cigarettes are also likely to be present in these drinking situations, these kids can literally burn up the room and not know what hit them. Very dangerous stuff!

9. zeroagenow

zeroagenow Karting
    BANNED

Jun 7, 2011
    California
    So called expert.

10. DK308

DK308 F1 Rookie

Aug 13, 2013
    Europe, way north.
    Full Name:
    AB
    Huh? Where has this even been proposed?

Even Liberals know that you can't just ban Methanol. It's way too common in households and the industry to do that. You think they would ban glue or gasoline if they had been consuming or sniffing that? If anyone would want to ban anything because of this, it would not be Liberals but rather idiotic overprotecting parent groups.

11. mike32

mike32 F1 Veteran

May 13, 2016
    Isle of man- uk
    Not the stuff to have as a chaser then after a pint of warm uk beer !!

12. Ky1e

Ky1e Formula 3

Mar 4, 2011
    FL
    Someone will always do something stupid like drinking racing fuel. Let nature take its course.