Lap times Fiorano | FerrariChat

Lap times Fiorano

Discussion in 'Tracking & Driver Education' started by Teachdocs, Jul 10, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Teachdocs

Teachdocs Formula Junior

Sep 3, 2012
    Kansas City area
    Full Name:
    Chad
    Not sure where I found this excerpt, but good for discussion.

Can anyone add the times for the spiders, the F430C and the 458C as well as the 458 Speciale, F12 and 488?

Some interesting info:

Lap Times at Pista di Fiorano:

360 Modena 1:31.5
    F430 1:28.5
    360 Challenge Stradale 1:28.00
    F430 on CCM, Race Seats and Corsa Tires: 1:27.00
    Scuderia: 1:25.00
    458 Italia: 1:25.00
    599 GTO: 1:24.00
    F12 1:23.00
    360 Challange (factory race car): 1:22.00

Notice that the slowest car in this list and the fastest car in this list is the same car, with the same power (400Hp), both on steel brakes, and then notice the type of cars in the middle (including one with 730Hp and a 7-speed transmission).

With the exception of the F1 transmission which would account for no more than 0.5 secs around Fiorano (compared to a well driven manual), the rest of the lap time difference between the slowest and the fastest is on setup: brakes, suspension, weight.

As with any car, there is a lot of time to be gained on setup: brakes, suspension, weight, aero, power.

2. NEP

NEP F1 Rookie

Jul 19, 2010
    On Earth
    Full Name:
    Nigel
    "Can anyone add the times for the spiders, the F430C and the 458C as well as the 458 Speciale, F12 and 488?"

F12 TDF - 1:21.0
    F12 Berlinetta - 1:23.0
    458 Speciale Aperta - 1:23.0
    488 GTB - 1:23.0
    458 Speciale - 1:23.5
    430 Scuderia Spider 16M - 1:26.5
    430 Spider - 1:27.0

3. Teachdocs

Teachdocs Formula Junior

Sep 3, 2012
    Kansas City area
    Full Name:
    Chad
    Interesting numbers. Where did you find these lap times?

I ask because they show the F430 Spider to be a full second quicker than the F430 coupe.
    Also the 16M to be a half second quicker than a F430C with racing slicks.
    Is the Aperta really half a second quicker than the Speciale?

I sparked a huge discussion when I posted some lap times at Road America in my 16M (chassis setup changes and slicks). The 16M setup was surprisingly close to the F430C cars at that track. The discussion was IS the 16M capable of being as quick as a F430C? RA would tend to favor hp/brakes more than aero as compared to Fiorano I would think.

Later I purchased and ran a F430C at RA and with my driving skills (lots of room for improvement), my F430C times were nearly identical to my 16M setup however the two cars had a vastly different feeling and experience when driven at race speeds on that track. They are also vastly different in safety considerations!

4. bobzdar

bobzdar F1 Veteran

Sep 22, 2008
    Richmond
    Full Name:
    Pete
    #4 bobzdar, Jul 20, 2016
    Last edited: Jul 20, 2016
    This isn't much more than an academic exercise as just tire technology improvements can be worth a few seconds. Unless you know the exact tire each car set it's time on, they're not really comparable. Even if you do know the tire, unless you have a reference that ran on each tire to quantify the difference, it will be tough to extrapolate. Tires are probay the single biggest lap time improvement you can make in terms of bolt ons...

5. Teachdocs

Teachdocs Formula Junior

Sep 3, 2012
    Kansas City area
    Full Name:
    Chad
    #5 Teachdocs, Jul 20, 2016
    Last edited: Jul 20, 2016
    Agreed. However since this was at Fiorano, I would think that if Ferrari posted the times in their street cars, they would reflect OEM tires and the best times they had recorded. For the Challenge vars, same thing, as configured by Ferrari to run in the Challenge series. Is that not the case at Fiorano? Just curious. I was hoping that Fiorano would be the best representation for comparison of Ferrari OEM cars at the same track, by pro drivers, under ideal conditions with the best OEM setup possible.

I did find this link but I have no way to verify the accuracy of the posted times.

http://fastestlaps.com/tracks/fiorano

And this slideshow:

http://www.topgear.com/car-news/what’s-fastest-ferrari-fiorano#1

And this from Wiki

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fiorano_Circuit

The numbers are all over the place so what gives?

6. NEP

NEP F1 Rookie

Jul 19, 2010
    On Earth
    Full Name:
    Nigel
  7. bobzdar

bobzdar F1 Veteran

Sep 22, 2008
    Richmond
    Full Name:
    Pete
    Sure, but the oem tires on the scud and speciale are different than the 430 and 458, no? Not to mention the Michelin super sports came out after the 430,so newer models get better tires. Plus, sometimes there was more than one oem tire available during a model run etc.etc.

8. NEP

NEP F1 Rookie

Jul 19, 2010
    On Earth
    Full Name:
    Nigel
    Also the weather, air and track temperatures will vary the track times at different times of a year.

9. singletrack

singletrack F1 Veteran

Mar 16, 2011
    Pittsburgh, PA
    I think that is wishful thinking honestly. I would guess Ferrari massages the times on their track to suit their needs. I could be wrong though, but there do seem to be some inconsistencies out there and it is their private track.