i lost my self-confidence, | FerrariChat

i lost my self-confidence,

Discussion in 'Tracking & Driver Education' started by 24000rpm, Sep 3, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. 24000rpm

24000rpm F1 Rookie

#1 24000rpm, Sep 3, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Every 2 or 3 track days ( 5 session+ each day) I attended, I got an accident. Big or small, and it starts to annoying me. Initially I was thinking "yea, its part of the game"

But after the 4th accident, which happened today, I started to doubt myself.
    Its a decent shunt for a beginner like me and I had an instructor on the passenger seat.
    I hurt my coccyx bone and the instructor hurt his back a little. Didn't do x-ray yet but I will.

In the mean time, sitting on my hurt butt in front of the computer ,I was starting to think, that, if I am really suitable for this sport? Should I really quit and just enjoy my road cars?

cost of repairing isn't an issue, but it really really hurts my ego.

Sometimes the instructor would show me a few laps and I was like "no way I'll be driving like that in years!"

Did somebody share the same experience when you are a beginner?
    One of my racing pal(started tracking roughly at the same time as mine) said:"you are a little too aggressive, you push a little bit more than I do". Shall I calm down and just be a little milder?

I don't know how to proceed with this any more. I even started to lost interest in acquiring a formula car because that will be even more difficult to pilot.

I am really really down and feel defeated. Not looking for any comfort, I want some objective opinion.

I am a very decent or pretty good sportsman when I was young in soccer, by the way.
    I entered a province level "youth team" as a semi-professional soccer player when I was 16 years old. But this racing thing just doesn't cut.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. hezgon

hezgon Formula Junior

Dec 13, 2006
    Ft Pierce, FL
    Full Name:
    Stan
    "Shall I calm down and just be a little milder?", "cost of repairing isn't an issue". Just because you have the $$ to purchase these cars, does not mean you can jump in one and be a race car driver. It takes time, lots of seat time. Slow down, learn from the instructors, go to competition school, take smaller steps, get better instructors. If your hitting walls every third weekend you go out something is not right. Couple of wheels off is one thing, walls and tires barriers are another. Glad you and your instructor are ok.

3. dm_n_stuff

dm_n_stuff Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

hit the cart races for a while.

Get a good instructor.

Take some classes.

Take some more classes.

then spec miata race.

Hopping into a 400+HP Ferrari is not the place to learn to drive.

I learned more driving a 240HP car near it's limit than I ever learned driving m 360 at 5/10ths.

If you keep hitting ****, you're not ready to drive.

D

4. fatbillybob

fatbillybob Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 10, 2002
    socal
    I have tracked and raced over 25 years. I have been victim of 2 wrecks raced only 2 cars a lot, 348 Ferrari challenge and C5Z06 corvette (similar capability and power to your car). You have way to many incidents for the short time you have been on track. Car power is only part of the problem. Your shunts in lesser power cars will only have less carnage but incidents just the same. Big power cars will result in more potential injury it is just physics.

If you can drive streetcars safely without hitting anything you can drive a racetrack. It takes time to build up speed. Take proper lessons from recognized schools. There is so much to learn before you go fast. In fact fast is the last thing you need to learn about track driving.

5. Texas Forever

Texas Forever Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    I echo the comments here. (1) Start with a momentum car. Winning is based on ability, not your pocketbook. It can be quite humbling. (2) Get a coach, and (3) Start using Data Acquisition to really learn.

6. 24000rpm

24000rpm F1 Rookie

so not quitting then?

7. 95spiderman

95spiderman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    ny
    Dont give up on sport and so glad no one badly hurt.

But please realize your stats of accident every 2 or 3 trackdays is way, way, way (did I say way?) off base and unacceptable. I have had 4 spins in over 100 track days and 1 was in snow and other was because radiator hose spilled coolant on tires. So 2 spins from driver error over 15 years without any contact and they still upset me

first off you are clearly driving over your head. It is your instructors responsibility to recognize that and immediately pull you off track and make that clear to you. Hpde is not racing, qualifying, or testing. It is just a place to exercise your performance car for fun. You need to put your competitive nature away for the day and get comfortable pointing others by you.

Secondly a powerful race car on slicks without electronic stability is not good for you either. In theory. It shouldn't matter if you just drive within your abilities but in practice it is emotionally hard to be in a ferrari challenge and be passed by a mini. And having stability control will not only help save a spin but help you learn what your doing wrong.

I would get a low power, auto trans street car on street tires, leave all stability controls on, and hire a private coach. At very least slow down well before turns to street speed, coast from turn in through apex, and no power until well past the track out cone

hpde is fun but not worth paralysis or death to you or others

8. fluque

fluque Formula 3

Jul 30, 2004
    Above 2240m
    Full Name:
    Fernando
    Buy yourself a shifter kart and practice. Build your technique, reflexes, and confidence. Then drive whatever you want, actually you'll find most cars boring to drive.

9. njcycleguy

njcycleguy Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Dec 27, 2008
    Northeast
    I say quit while your ahead - IE before you really hurt yourself or someone else. And FYI - a good soccer player doesn't make you a good driver.

10. fluque

fluque Formula 3

Jul 30, 2004
    Above 2240m
    Full Name:
    Fernando
    Unless you have obvious issues with eye hand coordination, reflexes and car control, I would not quit.

You are clearly pushing to much for your current skill level. I question whether your driving coach is really helping you.

11. ferraridriver

ferraridriver F1 Rookie

Aug 8, 2002
    Bay Area Calif.
    Full Name:
    Dave
    I've been racing off and on since 1959. Got my first FIA license in 1964

I have always raced either sports racing or open wheel cars in SCCA and Vintage.

I was pretty good at it :) Won more than my share.

I've been playing Golf for 20 years, played all over the world, taken lots of lessons, and I still suck at it, sometimes whiffing the ball completely. :(

Some things we're OK at, some we're not, that's just the way it is.

Sounds to me that maybe other sports beckon.

12. 24000rpm

24000rpm F1 Rookie

#12 24000rpm, Sep 3, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 3, 2016
    1st incident was at an apex, the car in the front stopped at the apex and I couldn't avoid , bumper to his door, small enough, at about 20 km/hour

2nd was my car ran wide and hit the wall at about 15 km/hour, some front damage.

3rd was under rain, but I wasn't the driver actually , so this shouldn't count.

4th was the picture you see. turn in speed too high and i hit the brake while turning, rear end lost traction.

so actually 3 accidents for maybe 15-20 track days. I might have exagerated a little.

no hand eye coordination issue. maybe I succeeded in 90% of what I wanted to acheive
    and this one is the 10%.

13. 24000rpm

24000rpm F1 Rookie

instructor did say do not brake ( at least don't brake hard) while turning.
    And i for some reason just braked.......

14. 24000rpm

24000rpm F1 Rookie

how much seat time , in your opinion , will make a decent track driver?

I have a friend who's currently racing in the f4 championship. He said the following:
    " my friend A has never driven any car on a racetrack except the f4 car and after 1 year of practice his laptime is only 0.5 second short of mine on this track. And i've been racing for 10 years"

The track he mentioned is about 2.4 km long

Is that something normal or the friend just too talented?

15. Bas

Bas Four Time F1 World Champ

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    A crash every 2-3 track days? That's...worrying.

Get in something slower, cheaper to repair. **** your ego, you don't HAVE to drive a Ferrari at trackdays...you'll actually gain tons of respect for a) driving a car that suits your talents (you can always move up later) and b) taking a slower car and beating faster will be a huge ego boost ;).

Everyone is different, there are people that with very little experience get themselves in a GT3 car and are doing a decent enough job, or people who are driving much slower cars but can't seem to string laps together.

16. 24000rpm

24000rpm F1 Rookie

the 360 challenge is an opportunity I can't miss in 2015. It is dirty cheap sold by a local fchat member. It is also part of my 360 line-up craze.

I always wanted a cheaper car , but guess what , the 360 challenge wasn't much more expensive than those cheaper racers.

My big ego is that I can't do track days without accidents. My instructor easily shed 5 seconds off my 1'18" laptime. All I wanted is maybe a 1'15.

17. Solid State

Solid State F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 4, 2014
    Full Name:
    Maximus Decimus Meridius
    Just be glad you don't race motorcycles! I think racing is in ones blood. Why else would we spend so much and risk so much for no real return but the experience. Only you can decide if you are or are not a racer. Being good at it comes with time and practice. Most will never exceed at it. Its about the need to better yourself in a senselessly dangerous environment. Nothing really more rewarding. You should be commended for even participating in what others only dream about. I'd hang in there and take the great advice given by others here.

18. PSk

PSk F1 World Champ

Nov 20, 2002
    Tauranga, NZ
    Full Name:
    Pete
    Wrong car.

Go karting, that is where you learn the skills, not from an instructor. You need to training your instincts not being told by an instructor how to think ... if you have to think it, you are too late.

Honestly why anybody would jump into a Ferrari and think that you can become a racing driver with a bit of instructing ... you should always start with a car that has more chassis than power IMO.

Karting, karting, karting ... that is where you learn how to drive.
    Pete

19. 95spiderman

Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    ny
    NO TIMING LAPS!!

that is your downfall

20. fluque

fluque Formula 3

Jul 30, 2004
    Above 2240m
    Full Name:
    Fernando
    You have yet develop the correct reactions and are pushing it. Driver inputs should come natural and come with experience. As I mentioned before buy a kart, learn the technique.

21. Bas

Bas Four Time F1 World Champ

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    You don't have to sell it. Keep it, and once you're ready for it, use it. 5 seconds is LOOOONG on a short track. Get into something slower. Or at least buy a proper kart.

22. 95spiderman

Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    ny
    and be sure to avoid traffic on track. drive by yourself. if you are in traffic, just pit in and ask marshal to send you out when track is clear of traffic. this way you avoid car to car contact and no pressure on you to keep up with faster cars

23. GPM

GPM Formula Junior

Mar 26, 2015
    Vancouver BC
    #23 GPM, Sep 3, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  24. LightGuy

LightGuy Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 4, 2004
    Texas
    Full Name:
    David
    #24 LightGuy, Sep 3, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 4, 2016
    No biggie.
    Just get a cheaper car to learn in. Put the Ferrari ego crap aside.

Ricardo just said he finally learned to properly drive a F1 car 2 years ago.

RICARDO !.

BTW a supercalifragilistic 360 ain't got nothing on a 50HP FV in a pack.
    Now that's racing.

Did you give up on walking after the fourth time you fell ?

25. Texas Forever

Texas Forever Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    Frankly, I think you have too much money. When I first started hitting the track, I drove my 550 Maranello. One day, at a Ferrari event, the parts manager told me the hood on my car cost $8,000. I pointed at a Spec Miata sitting nearby and asked how much a race car like that cost, and he said $10,000. I said screw this and never drove the Maranello again in anger.

I once asked a Spec Miata guy if he liked his car. He said, "Hell no." When I said why drive a car you don't like, he replied, "Why would you want to destroy a car you liked?" Racing is racing.