Video hardest crashes, which racecar is the safest? | FerrariChat

Video hardest crashes, which racecar is the safest?

Discussion in 'Tracking & Driver Education' started by fire_n_ice, Sep 29, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. fire_n_ice

fire_n_ice Formula 3

Jun 9, 2006
    Came across this video recently and it made me think about a debate I sometimes have with fellow track enthusiasts about what is the safest type of racecar.

You would think some sort of carbon monocoque would be the safest, but the nascar cars are still tubular frame, are they not? Man, I just can't believe the impacts that most of these guys seem to always walk away from (although not always).

I know that over the years, they have moved the driver considerably inboard, and that the walls have the safer barriers in front of the concrete, etc. But look at some of these hits on the bare pit walls, etc. Huge impacts.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vYcwQONh9v8

In any case, would love to hear insight from others on which types of racecars are the safest.

2. markmoon

markmoon Formula Junior

Sep 5, 2010
    Jacksonville, FL
    Full Name:
    Mark
    Modern F1 cars get my vote.

3. GuyIncognito

GuyIncognito Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
    I'd wreck a stock car (NASCAR) at 200 mph before anything open wheel/open cockpit.

the current LMP1 cars are tanks too.

4. fatbillybob

fatbillybob Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 10, 2002
    socal
    A huge upgrade in nascar safety came with the COT car. DTM went to the carbon monocoque with body overlay. It is less about materials and more about chassis design and how everything works as a system just like the timing of streetcar airbags, ballistic seatbelts and active headrests racers have impaxx door foam. full containment seating, hans, 6+ pt harness systems, and advanced helmets. The cool thing is all the safety that trickles down to club race level. Things are getting safer for us clubracers too.

5. ProCoach

ProCoach F1 Veteran
    Owner

Sep 15, 2004
    VIR Raceway
    Full Name:
    Peter Krause
    This

6. rmarchjr

rmarchjr Formula Junior

May 21, 2012
    North east, USA
    +1 NASCAR - big, heavy, steel, halo seats w driver restraints. We'd have a lot more injuries if our aluminum CH cars did not have full steel cages. I'm sure most of you saw this...

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=tK9LAdUpLtk

7. lashss

lashss F1 Rookie

Nov 26, 2003
    DC
    Full Name:
    LSJ
  8. Texas Forever

Texas Forever Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    Please, I wish they would ban that video. I will never race an open wheel/open cockpit car, but seeing this breaks my heart.

9. Ney

Ney F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 20, 2004
    Most of the NASCAR crashes are fairly long drawn out affairs. While spectacular, that time allows a lot of kinetic energy to be bled off. It is the short sudden ones that impart the most force on the driver. The two hardest hits that I am aware of are both at Bristol Tennessee. The first is the 1990 crash of Michael Waltrip.
    http://youtu.be/uzxcuV5rmA4

The second is 2002 with Mike Harmon and Johnny Sauter.
    http://youtu.be/jxtID4k3UBw

In both instances the car came to a violent and sudden stop, hard enough to tear both cars in to two pieces. In both cases, the drivers walked away with very minor injuries.

10. lashss

lashss F1 Rookie

Nov 26, 2003
    DC
    Full Name:
    LSJ
    Wow, those were incredible.

Note to self - don't run Bristol...

LSJ

11. Aedo

Aedo F1 Rookie

Feb 22, 2006
    Perth
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Plus would have to add running on a modern F1 circuit. Circuit design has as much of an impact on safety as the cars themselves - it is a total system not single items in isolation.