Porsche vs. Ferrari tracking | FerrariChat

Porsche vs. Ferrari tracking

Discussion in 'Tracking & Driver Education' started by rob lay, Oct 9, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. rob lay

rob lay Administrator
    Staff Member Admin Miami 2018 Owner

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    #1 rob lay, Oct 9, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  2. Texas Forever

Texas Forever Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    Actually, as you know, the Pee People don't let other brands run with them. But, most Ferrari guys I have met are 100% car guys. They enjoy all cars.

3. 95spiderman

95spiderman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    ny
    Not true re pca track which is open to any type car
    I have lots experience with both fca and pca track days and problem with pca is too many rules amd regulations, fca more laid back. Problem with fca is they dont make the guy in an enzo, etc that drives hiway speed give pointby which can get frustrating

4. ProCoach

ProCoach F1 Veteran
    Owner

Sep 15, 2004
    VIR Raceway
    Full Name:
    Peter Krause
    Not true. Some regions of PCA do NOT allow cars other than P-cars or other than PCA members run at their events. You need to get out more. Southeast is more laid back, for both clubs! :D

5. Texas Forever

Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!

+1

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    you guys are really standardizing what car clubs do nationally based on your local experience? :D

7. Texas Forever

Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!

To some of us, anyplace outside of Texas is furrin.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

8. Midnight Oil

Midnight Oil Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 29, 2006
    We Had vetts, bmw's, lotus, viper, Audi, even a mini once run with us pca in Colorado. Hell a guy with his Nsx and a noble(awesome car) ran with the p cars as well, none of us gave a rats ass.

9. subirg

subirg F1 Rookie

Dec 19, 2003
    Cheshire
    At most euro track events, it is usual to see most f cars in the car park and most p cars on the track... Why? Pure economics.

10. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    I don't think as much economics as personality types.

11. Texas Forever

Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    Frankly, after participating in a few Ferrari days at TWS, many Ferrari owners are better off parking their cars. I recall seeing one guy in a F360 repeatedly spinning while exiting the carousel. Some people are incapable of learning.

12. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    some stereotypes have truth to it, I find the Porsche guys usually engineer and CPA types that do well at the track.

13. Texas Forever

Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    There is no doubt your original premise is correct. Far more Porsche guys take their cars to the track than Ferrari owners. Hell, a large number of Ferrari owners don't drive their cars at all! :)

14. boxerman

boxerman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2004
    FL
    Full Name:
    Sean
    There are far more porche than ferrari, so we would expect to see more porche at the track. However there are more ferrari sold in the USA each year than lotus has managed in 10 years. At track event you will see nearly as many Loti and vettes or Porche and youre lucky to see one ferrari if at all..

So maybe we can deduce certain cars attract more "serious" drivers than others.

I also well remember the 90s when at FCA events you had to bring a ferrari to run on track. Now other marques are accepted because even though the ferrari population has relatively exploded, now even less owners track their cars.

The reasons I have heard for this, prohibitively expensive to run on track, and everybody guns for the ferrari to say they beat it.

Of the few ferraris I have seen running at non FCA DE evets, none were really well driven or running really hard. Well one(new 488) was being drifted by a pro driver, he said it was an awesome car on track, it was also a press car. There are a fair number of ferrari run in ferrari challenge.

I would say challnege cars aside, if you own a ferrari and do serious tracking its probably in some other more suitable and disposable car like a porche, lotus vette or miata.

Fearraris on track, not the most durable, not the lightest, not necessarly the fastest(ok driver is the big factor at this level) they will really depreciate(and so many are you know "investents" for flippers), and the cost in consumables to run will make even your average millionaires eyes water. Billionaires run vintage ferraris.

15. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    Clubs like Ferrari were one of the first to do street cars on the track. DE's really didn't take off until the 00's. I remember National meet in Dallas 2001 they had track events and how far back has Cavallino done it? Our local Ferrari dealer Boardwalk does track events and Houston has for a long time. I think more people than ever are tracking with the explosion of member tracks and DE's in the 00's. I think certain makes attract more trackers than others. Whether Ferrari owners aren't track minded or don't want to risk their cars, they track less.

16. Julian Thompson

Julian Thompson Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 25, 2016
    Cheshire UK
    Full Name:
    Julian Thompson
    ...And don't forget NOISE!

At Oulton my 360 with standard exhaust was fine but anything more than that and there is no way you'd get on.

With my GT3 I just press the "valves closed" button and it sounds like a big vacuum cleaner = happy Oulton Park staff ;-)

17. jakermc

jakermc Formula 3
    Owner

Jan 17, 2004
    Palm Beach, FL
    Full Name:
    Rob
    I track both. Is it MUCH, MUCH more expensive to run the average Ferrari than the average Porsche. I can run a Porsche and crew for myself as it virtually never fails and what does I can fix myself, taking a Ferrari to the track requires a mechanic. (At least at higher skill levels where the car is pushed near its limits versus a beginner DE level)

Then factor in depreciation. As it was mentioned earlier a Ferrari is rarely driven on the street much less on track. The penalty for mileage is excessive on any Ferrari. I just tried to market my 575 with 47K miles on it, ask me how I know.

18. Smiles

Smiles F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 20, 2003
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Full Name:
    Matt F
    Some of you guys sure can take all the fun out of a good cartoon!

:)

Matt

19. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    ha, between this thread and the Rossa one for cartoon ideas I'm thinking cartoons may not be best for the Ferrari crowd. :)

20. bpu699

bpu699 F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Dec 9, 2003
    wisconsin/chicago
    Full Name:
    bo
    Ferrari's cost too much to track...

Assuming you are looking for the "experience" of being on a race track, the Porsche wins.

You can track a $30,000 Porsche (Boxster/Cayman/911/etc) and in most scenarios go faster that the Ferrari and have more fun...

General rule of thumb, you should be ready willing and able to financially absorb damages to your car...

Damaging my Porsche, I can handle the damages. Can get body parts, or even a whole body replacement as needed. If I crashed it, I would not be happy, and it would really irritate me. But, I would get over it.

Now, if you crash a $150-200k Ferrari, that's a bit different. I would get seriously upset, irritated, despondent, and depressed. Parts are impossible to find, repairs are ungodly expensive, and even a scratch kills resale value... Whats the point of risking it?

Now, if I had 10mm$ in the bank, I would feel differently.

For mere mortals, Ferraris are nice to own and look at. Risk on the track? Not so much...

21. Caeruleus11

Caeruleus11 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 11, 2013
    Very cute cartoon! :)

22. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    I don't think any of that is relevant, the most relevant factor like the cartoon says more Ferrari guys aren't track guys. How many Ferrari guys also go get a Miata or Porsche just for tracking?

Track expenses are relative, many Porsche guys wouldn't track a Ferrari because they couldn't afford the Ferrari in the first place. track costs the same, tires cost the same, gas costs the same, and basic service is very similar. 99% of the costs with tracking are similar Porsche vs. Ferrari. Yes a banged up Ferrari will cost more than a Porsche, but a Porsche more than a Audi, and an Audi more than a Miata.

Costs are not the main reason less Ferrari guys track Ferraris.

23. bpu699

bpu699 F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Dec 9, 2003
    wisconsin/chicago
    Full Name:
    bo
    I don't know, not my experience... (Own a Ferrari, track a 930). Granted, I own a testarossa, which isn't a great track car (I tried). But I do agree, most Ferrari guys "aren't" track guys. Its more about owning their dream car... Ferris Beuhler comes to mind.

My neighbor races Ferrari's with Glikenhaus, so it can be done :)

I can beat on my 930 and its not that expensive... Brake pads, $150 front or back
    RE11's, $150,
    brake service is cost of DOT4 fluid
    Rock chips? Oh, well
    Struts need replacement, $130 a piece.
    Need brake hose? $30
    Get a rock chip in the windshield? $300.
    Want to add a rollbar? $500
    Want to add a front oil cooler?$700 gets you a full kit
    Want brake rotors? $125 a pop
    Ding the front window? $250 for a used one.

Ferrari costs, even if you track a 308, would the multiples of that... If not 5-10x more (eg. Windshield)

Not to mention, a Porsche is more "track ready" out of the box...

bo

24. boxerman

boxerman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2004
    FL
    Full Name:
    Sean
    As a percentage of the total new production population, Porche makes how many 991's and cayman/boxters in a year vs ferrari? I bet we still see less ferraris on track as a percentage of yearly production. Its not justb wheter someoen can afford it many can and choose not to. If you can afford a Gt3Rs and to run one on track you can afford to run a ferrari on track.

A big part of that is who ferrari now almost exclusively caters to, the drive to the resteraunt crowd who cant really drive anyway. Fearrrai has progressively abandoned people who just like to drive, and the product (depsite its paper numbers) reflects this.
    Ferrari knows its market, really fast too loud cars, with sniffy leater that are so easy to drive you dont have to be able to drive, so really rich people can buy them as a token/handbag/wealth satatement runabout. But as fun to drive machines, imo the lack.

Yes they made the speciale etc, but that was so limited in production that it was an instant collector car.

now if ferrari made a car for drivers, like say 3k speciiale per year for 300k, or a 4c with a TT6 for under 200k, somehting robust where you could get wheels tires and pads reasosnably we migth see people who track buying ferraris to track.

But the Ferrari owner today is mostly impressed with the design, the noise and what they read the car "can do" not necesarily doing it. Going one step further it was a huge dissapointment driving a 458, the experience on street was pretty bland, and while its probably great fun at 9/10ths and above you cant do that on street, and for various reasons its impractical in a ferrari on track.

Imo ferrari has lost the plot, yes they are profitable now, yes the cars elicit desire, but serious drivers have moved on, whereas before ferrari was the pinacle and car of choice if you could afford it, both for street and trackdays. Today frankly when you strip out the brand BS there are argualbly better choices as drivers cars and for track.

But yeah they still got design, great motors and cachet, maybe that can sustain them. But when the "crowd" moves on or they need more sales Ferrrari is going to be missing its core customers.

If fast cars today are all about the experince, then I think a big part of that experience is becoming more and more tracktime, and ferrari is for whatever reasons mostly absent.

25. 95spiderman

95spiderman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    ny
    I dont think its just the money or even value of the cars. Yes, old track porsche like 944 or even cayman can be cheap but new gt3 or rs is as expensive as ferrari and I see lots of those on track compared to ferraris. I think its the beautiful style and sound of ferraris attract different buyer than porsche which is more about the engineering and track prowess.