Homestead and sebring | FerrariChat

Homestead and sebring

Discussion in 'Tracking & Driver Education' started by fatbillybob, Dec 4, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. fatbillybob

fatbillybob Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 10, 2002
    socal
    Gents,

Looking for best place to stay around sebring and later homestead. I don't mind a short drive.

Thanks!

2. schao

schao Formula Junior

Mar 31, 2013
    Palm Beach, FL
    Full Name:
    S Chao
    Lots of choices in Homestead, but I favor Hampton Inn with Marriott Courtyard right next by. For Sebring, Chateau Elan is right next door so couldn't be more convenient. The allure of Runoffs at Indy this year may lead to record fields.

3. fatbillybob

Consultant Owner

Aug 10, 2002
    socal
    Yes on Indy! I'm trying to get my motor in the car now so my car can make the trailer to Florida from Cali and live on the East for the season. I plan to be there racing T2 possibly T1. I hope to meet up with Ernie in Indy who has transplanted himself there from Oxnard. How about you? Will you race Indy?

Thanks for the hotel tips. I'm booking now.

4. WILLIAM H

WILLIAM H Three Time F1 World Champ

Nov 1, 2003
    Victory Circle
    Full Name:
    HUBBSTER
    Chateau is good cus it's right next to track but the hotel is maybe 1 1/2 stars on a good day.
    I'm at Residence in @ Sebring, 20 min away but much nicer

LMK when you go to Homestead. Hampton Inn is brand new & 5 min from track

You got to eat at SHIVERS BBQ & MUTINEER @ Homestead, both excellent.

5. schao

schao Formula Junior

Mar 31, 2013
    Palm Beach, FL
    Full Name:
    S Chao
    Yes I'm aiming to be at Indy (P2 class) and advise you look for hotels there asap! I started racing in the Northeast and have been in Florida for five years now, so have run at majority of east coast tracks. It'll be a busy and expensive season if you try to check off all the bucket list tracks out here in one year, but worthwhile. I'm tempted to do the same in reverse next year when the Runoffs go back out west.

6. fatbillybob

Consultant Owner

Aug 10, 2002
    socal
    Excellent! I am on year 2 of checking off tracks. 2015 did some and took a year off and now 2017 more new tracks. I hope to hook up with you next year and say hi. I started off doing the laguna runoffs as my only runoffs. I had so much fun I am on roll number 4 will be Indy.

Carl
    T2 #88 orange vette

7. WILLIAM H

Nov 1, 2003
    Victory Circle
    Full Name:
    HUBBSTER
    You have to do Homestead w the banking. The infield is a little boring. The banking is magical. It's a lot tighter than Daytona so you pull more G's. You'll need good fresh tires & check suspension.

8. WILLIAM H

Nov 1, 2003
    Victory Circle
    Full Name:
    HUBBSTER
    I've gotten a lot better at Sebring. Not my favorite but it deserves respect. Turn 17 is bizarre.

9. Texas Forever

Texas Forever Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!

Don't wreck my car!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

10. schao

schao Formula Junior

Mar 31, 2013
    Palm Beach, FL
    Full Name:
    S Chao
    Ah, I'm certain we met briefly at registration for the 2015 NOLA Majors race; you were waiting for your car to arrive and missed test/practice, so first time out was Q1? Laguna was my first Runoffs too. I'll PM you my contact info.

11. fatbillybob

Consultant Owner

Aug 10, 2002
    socal
    I did a regional race and then Runoffs at Daytona. For me there was nothing to it because my vette is restricted and ballasted for the class. I could only top out at 160mph on the front straight and floored on the backing only 145-149. If I didn't make up time on the infield I could do nothing the rest of the track but wait until the infield again. So if Homestead is tighter and just as banked it will be a sleeper so I might like the infield better.

12. fatbillybob

Consultant Owner

Aug 10, 2002
    socal

LOL! Your car now comes with 2 engines. I was playing dueling engine builders to beat my deadline by the Xmas to get my car ready for the journey to Florida. One was getting rebuilt and the other built from scratch all new GM parts. The from parts guy won so I should be able to fire the engine thursday be on track to test saturday and then back in the garage for alignment and corner balance and to add yet 75 more pounds of lead. Yes for some reason the C5Z06 is still too fast and they are slowing us down yet again.

13. singletrack

singletrack F1 Veteran

Mar 16, 2011
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Sebring - Chateau Elan is nice at because it is so close. Get a balcony room facing the track and you can watch T7, which is fun. The place is not great though. Breakfast is horrible.

Inn on the lakes is about 10mins away but has very good food and nicer rooms.

Homestead - not much around there. There is a Hampton Inn which I understand is decent. I stayed up in Coral Gables and commuted down, but not sure I would again - wasn't worth the price and drive IMHO. I stayed at the Biltmore.

Good luck!

14. WILLIAM H

Nov 1, 2003
    Victory Circle
    Full Name:
    HUBBSTER
    The banking will wake you up real quick :)