Ferrari Corso Pilota at COTA? | FerrariChat

Ferrari Corso Pilota at COTA?

Discussion in 'Tracking & Driver Education' started by rob lay, Feb 1, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. rob lay

rob lay Administrator
    Staff Member Admin Miami 2018 Owner

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    I'm considering doing this, good experience? Because of my club racing background they would put me in Advanced skipping Sport. You don't get into Challenge cars until Evolution and Challenge. :( I really want to drive COTA and I want to experience some different Ferraris. Since I never want to be competitive again I really don't have much interest improving, but will be open minded and welcome any feedback. I still try to track the 355 Challenge every 3-4 months. Also, would it be good event for Jennie and Mia to tag along or does Ferrari want you there solo? Thanks.

2. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
  3. Entropy

Entropy Formula 3
    Owner

Jul 10, 2008
    Rob

My wife has done the program 6 times; a few Sport, mostly Advanced. She's going back again this year, this time with my oldest daughter.

Hands down, it's the best and most well run driving experience AND driving instruction program I've been around (and, I've been around many, have instructed, raced, all that).

As you'd expect, they run a great "event", but the instructors are the backbone of this. They are all superb drivers, but even better instructors for all levels. They took my wife, who started out somewhat afraid of the cars, and now she's a relatively high-skilled driver (i.e. smoother, quicker, safer). The fact that you're driving Ferraris is an extra. The instructors would make this phenomenal if you were in MX-5's. Porsche runs a solid program, but it's more structured; with the CP program they really work with the students individually so it flexes better (and, more track time, and more fun IMHO).

We typically make it a family event - everyone is great and it's fun. She's done Tremblant mostly, and primarily because Tremblant has more activities right there than COTA. So, yes, it's hyper family friendly (assuming your daughter likes hanging around race tracks. My oldest races already, my youngest is more interested in the wifi and hospitality, so it all works).

As a suggestion for you, I'd talk to them as given your experience, you would enjoy Advanced but you would probably fit better in the Evolution - and yes, you're qualified. One big negative thing FNA has been doing is pushing Corso Pilota students through the courses and into Challenge -which is a huge step and often ends with tears. The Evo course does cost more, so you can decide if the incremental cost is worth it - in Evo, they use a lot more data, the focus is on more speed than Advanced.

Want more opinions, PM me.

4. JimPVB

JimPVB Formula Junior

Apr 24, 2016
    Florida
    Sorry, can't comment yet as this will be my first experience as well. Unlike you, I'm required to start with the Sport instruction, so arriving on March 6th, departing March 9th (for anyone else that might be going to the Sport section). In researching the Forum first, I couldn't find one person disappointed in having attended any of the Levels of the Corso Pilota training.

Jim

5. Caeruleus11

Caeruleus11 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 11, 2013
    I did the entry level program about 8 years ago in Tremblant. It was wonderful and I would agree with everything said above. I've done a few other programs and one thing that occurred to me a few years ago whilst reflecting on my experiences- its not just the things they show you, but also the things they don't. They are very well run and a lot of fun.

6. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    I've done over 200 club races, but they said most start in Sport anyway, so at least they moved me up one. I haven't raced in 5 years and really want the COTA experience as much as anything, so don't mind. I'm done with the racing thing and honestly don't care if instructors find another half second in my driving for just tracking purposes.

7. Entropy

Entropy Formula 3
    Owner

Jul 10, 2008
    FWIW, I'm unsure who "they" are. As you might expect, the actual Corso Pilota program (i.e. on the ground, at the track, in the cars) is run by some REAL professionals....Longhi, Segal, Lazzaro, Dumoulin, Grunewald, etc etc

There is very very limited, er, expertise about racing and driving inside FNA. Very little.

However, to your point, you'll have a blast in Advanced (or, even sport). To the extent your muscle memory comes back, Evo would just give you more room to stretch them, and given you have not forgot what you learned in your races, you might enjoy the different curriculum.

Said otherwise, you'd need to have serious issues not to have fun driving COTA in a Ferrari, so I"m sure it will be good. They do use the Cali T on the wet skidpad, which believe it or not is one of the more popular exercises.

8. Texas Forever

Texas Forever Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    Just curious, what made you hang it up? Gone as far as you could go? Too expensive? Too much time?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

9. Ky1e

Ky1e Formula 3

Mar 4, 2011
    FL
    Rob, this was a very depressing statement to read! I do commend you for your honesty!

I guess I totally understand if someone doesnt want to race or race again. Do you really not want any competition nor have any interest in improving? Just curious on why such a change from someone who used to race?

10. gef3rd

gef3rd Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 21, 2009
    Palos Verdes Estates
    Full Name:
    George
    I took the Sport course at COTA last November, will be taking the Advanced this year (comes with the TDF). The instructors' resumes are impressive. I was disappointed in the consistency of instruction. In my opinion it would be better to assign an instructor to each student for the duration of the class. I had one instructor tell me my lines were perfect, another telling me I had some understeer, and on the final day, during the lead/follow, one instructor took a much wider line through the esses. I had taken a different line during the previous sessions (one a lead/follow) so I was confused.

The instructors for the most part were fantastic, event was well run, and the accomodations and food were fine.

They broke the course into sections for the Sport program. Second day we ran the whole track but they put a chicane (using cones) on the back stretch to curb top speed.

There was a gentleman who brought his two sons with him to participate in the class. He also brought his wife and daughter and they all enjoyed themselves. The program seemed willing to cater to those with family members.

11. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    I put much into it for 12 years. 2 years of autocrossing every other weekend doing 30 second runs and working a corner for 2 hours. Then 10 years of club racing pulling a car no support for 4 days including the test days. With my limited budget and support I was proud of my top 10's at the Runoffs, at that point my only contemplation was gentleman/pro series like Continental. My budget increased and I did the first year of CCR doing some great tracks (Sebring, VIR) and meeting great people (current majority owner of FerrariChat), but I soon realized spending 5-10x the money didn't equal 5-10x the fun or even 1x. The best drivers, best racing, and most fun I had off the track was the cheapest series I ever did... Spec RX7. I simply decided I took racing as far as I wanted to go. I didn't want to back off to 90% after going 100%, Mia was getting older and I no longer wanted to go through my pre-qualifying visualization exercise telling myself it was OK to die for a fast lap.

12. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    interesting, how much track time did you get a day? so you never ran the full course in Sport? Do they run the full course in Advanced? I'm not interested if not running the full course.

13. Entropy

Entropy Formula 3
    Owner

Jul 10, 2008
    Particularly in Sport (where they assume and is usually true people have never been on a race course before) they use a short course to increase repetitions on a smaller number of corners. Both COTA and Tremblant have a lot of corners, many of them complex.....so it both reduces and accelerates the learning curve.

Day 1 in Sport are some exercises (again, most new people to tracks have never done spin recovery, threshold braking, or performance downshifting), about half the day is lapping a modified course. Sessions are usually 20 minutes, so you get about a lot of track time. Day 2 has a few more exercises and then full lapping.

In advanced, it's fewer exercises and more lapping, starting with afternoon of Day 1 and pretty much all of Day 2.

One big difference from other programs I should have mentioned is that the lapping is done lead-follow, but the instructors adapt the speed to each student's ability, and they will let a student-instructor pair pass another (very controlled). Essentially, they will let you go as fast as you can, as long as you're under control. Alternatively, they will not put a student into a situation where they have to push harder then they are comfortable going. My wife started in the latter situation and is now in the former.

They do chicane the straights (at COTA and Tremblant) as at Tremblant, it is a hyper-speed right hander that leads straight into a mountain, and at COTA while it's paved runoff F1 style, better to be safe. I've been able to take a crack at both and candidly it takes nothing away, in fact trying to master the cone chicane under max braking is fun.

If you want to talk to the Chief Instructor offline, PM me. I shared the back of a race trailer with most of these guys (including your new majority owner who was my teammate) for many years. Believe me, you will have fun and your wife will be much more comfortable and confident behind the wheel.

14. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    I was looking at it for myself. Jennie is doing the Boardwalk track intro courses.

Sounding like I might be better off doing a track event there in the 355 Challenge.

15. Entropy

Entropy Formula 3
    Owner

Jul 10, 2008
    If Nathan Dunning is running it, I'm sure it will be well-run and likely have some good instructors.

If your goal is to drive COTA - and you know more than the basics - the highest bang for buck would be in your car with someone who can show you the "tricks" of the track....getting the rhythm of the esses, knowing which curbs to launch off, and how to be flat from T17, etc. and maybe help you knock a bit of rust off.

The upside to the CP is the cars. If your wife likes the Boardwalk day, Sport might be good for her. FWIW my wife had ZERO interest in the cars or driving skills or being on track until AFTER her first course. Her prior experiences (eg. Porsche ride-and-drive, DE days) turned her off.

the only downside to doing a DE event is the usual downsides of DE events.

16. Rothbauer_Racing

Rothbauer_Racing Formula Junior

Jan 11, 2007
    Planet Earth
    Full Name:
    Röthbauer Racing GmbH
    Rob,

I have pondered on this year after year since COTA was built and the Corsa Program started in Austin, TX. I have talked with those in charge and it's looks like a fun program. However like yourself I'm and advance driver and COTA is a handful! Both the driver and car go thru a brutal experience like no other track, something special for us here in Texas.

I would think a DE with MVP, Chin or Edge Addicts would be the best place to start being you have experience behind the wheel of a Ferrari F355 Challenge car, passing slower cars in a session is easy and before you know it all will move over allowing you to pass in the faster sections of the track. Grid early to avoid the slower cars is a great tip!

My interest in the Ferrari Corso Pilota was to drive a 430 or 458 Challenge, I didn't care for the other cars regardless how fun they may be. It's a well sorted out program to provide a wide array of Ferrari technology but mostly suited for the entry level street car enthusiast.

Doing a devoted weekend in Challenge cars is what I Value for what they charge during these COTA events. Looks like the program arrived to late at COTA for us?

PS. If you come to COTA, please let me know as it would be fun to watch another F355 Challenge speed around the track!

Ciao,

Stanislaus R.R.

17. sws4re

sws4re Formula Junior

Jan 28, 2006
    Olathe Ks
    Full Name:
    Scott Sweat
    Rob, My self and Larry Ricci are doing a track event there Feb.24-26. Come out and run with us there! It would be great to see you again and I believe there will be a few other Fchat guys there also.

18. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    That's what I'm going to do, but have fishing tournament that weekend. I will pick one of the other dates like Chin.

19. future328driver

future328driver Formula 3

Dec 10, 2001
    Dallas, Texas
    Full Name:
    Ken Thomas
    Rob,
    I will be interested in how it goes for you guys at COTA. It did not work for my schedule, so I am going to Mont Tremblant in June.

20. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    I'm not going, for me I couldn't get over the broken up track and temp chicanes. For $400-700 a weekend I can run COTA in the 355 Challenge full track and "amateur instructors". NASA races there, so I may just have to exit retirement for one weekend so I can run it like I want. I think Ferrari Corso Pilota is great though so you can experience the 488, Cali, and F12 with "pro" instructors and the VIP treatment. I will probably put Jennie through it in coming years if she keeps enjoying the Boardwalk track events.

21. redcar1

redcar1 Formula Junior

Nov 3, 2003
    austin, tx
    Full Name:
    Mark
    Hey Rob,

I'm in exactly the same position, after years of joyfully spending lots of money and time worrying about tenths or hundredths of a second, I'm just not interested in trying that hard any more.

I am more interested in driving really cool cars at really cool tracks, without lap times.

I am dusting off my 430C and 355C to run with MVP this Friday, and really looking forward to it.

Mark

22. LVP488

LVP488 F1 Rookie

Jan 21, 2017
    France
    #22 LVP488, Feb 20, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 20, 2017
    My knowledge might be outdated since I did the Corso Pilota (entry level) 19 years ago (at Mugello track, with 355 and 550 - and Alfa SZ on skid pad).
    As you say it's great to enjoy the latest Ferrari models, very good instructors and VIP treatment.
    But for improving driving skills (not a concern for you) I do not think it's very good value for money, it's been much more useful for me to get professional coaching during track days.

23. henryr

henryr Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 10, 2003
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Juan Sánchez Villa-L
    what the program cost ?

24. njcycleguy

njcycleguy Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Dec 27, 2008
    Northeast
    The events range in price between around $10k (sport) and $20k (challenge).

Someone posted they sent their wife 6 times? Wow.

25. henryr

henryr Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 10, 2003
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Juan Sánchez Villa-L
    might be worth it if shes a real *****