Go Back   FerrariChat.com > Racing & Tracking > Tracking & Driver Education

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-13-2017, 12:13 PM
F1 Veteran
Rossa Subscribed

Full Name: Juan
Instructor, Student Killed In Fiery Lamborghini Track Experience Crash In Las Vegas

I guess most have heard about this by now. Really sucks, you see this every now and then. I can't imagine what it's like to be an instructor and put your life in someones hands that may kill you. And these cars are sooooo fast now without all the safety features of a race car.

We have a national meet coming up in Daytona. Even a 308 should get to 130-140 right? 488s and the super cars should top 160 and maybe over 180? Most will not have hans devices. I guess I'm getting old. I understand that these driving experiences are not as rigorous as the FCA DEs, but I just can't help but worry.

Instructor, Student Killed In Fiery Lamborghini Track Experience Crash In Las Vegas

2 die in fiery crash at SpeedVegas racetrack | Las Vegas Review-Journal

Client, Instructor Die in Lamborghini Crash at Vegas Track | KXNT 840 AM « CBS Las Vegas
Attached Images
File Type: jpg web1_crashfireweb_7972061.jpg (67.7 KB, 1356 views)
Non-Sponsor Ads
Old 02-13-2017, 12:16 PM
F1 Veteran
Rossa Subscribed

Full Name: Peter
My Garage
458 Challenge cars routinely do 190+ in Daytona Turn 4. That's why I coach solely using in car data and high definition video. Period.

It's unfortunate, but not the first time...
Old 02-13-2017, 03:48 PM
F1 World Champ
Consultant

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProCoach View Post

It's unfortunate, but not the first time...
True! Thankfully the driver was not being reckless on public road. I think any in car instructor is a brave hero. Those kind of places should do what k1 speed does. If you get out of hand they remotely cut your power.
Old 02-13-2017, 04:57 PM
F1 Veteran
Silver Subscribed

Omg beyond tragic!
so so sad
probably 2 young people no less
Old 02-13-2017, 06:46 PM
F1 Veteran
Rossa Subscribed

My Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 95spiderman View Post
Omg beyond tragic!
so so sad
probably 2 young people no less
No, one young guy celebrating his wedding, IIRC, and a two-time cancer survivor in the right seat.
Old 02-13-2017, 06:57 PM
Formula Junior
Rossa Subscribed

Full Name: Buddy
My Garage
Surprised this doesn't happen more often. I could never be an instructor and ride in the right seat.
Old 02-13-2017, 09:09 PM
F1 Veteran
Rossa Subscribed

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProCoach View Post
No, one young guy celebrating his wedding, IIRC, and a two-time cancer survivor in the right seat.
Damn damn damn! The start of ones lives together, and the one that beat all odds twice. You could not script it like that, no one would believe it could be that tragic. Peter, you are the wise one on this forum, what should it be if you were in control of the universe? Should these be stopped to protect those that just can't help themselves? The grief for all is just not worth it. The family and the business owners..... Unbridled speed kills and maims every time it meets something solid.
Old 02-13-2017, 10:02 PM
F1 Veteran
Rossa Subscribed

My Garage
I don't know...
Non-Sponsor Ads
Old 02-14-2017, 05:41 AM
Two Time F1 World Champ
Rossa Subscribed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juan-Manuel Fantango View Post
Damn damn damn! The start of ones lives together, and the one that beat all odds twice. You could not script it like that, no one would believe it could be that tragic. Peter, you are the wise one on this forum, what should it be if you were in control of the universe? Should these be stopped to protect those that just can't help themselves? The grief for all is just not worth it. The family and the business owners..... Unbridled speed kills and maims every time it meets something solid.
I suspect the lawsuits are being filed as this is being typed.
Old 02-14-2017, 02:59 PM
Formula Junior
Not Subscribed

very sad rip
Old 02-14-2017, 07:11 PM
Formula 3
Silver Subscribed

Full Name: Matthew & Kristen V.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Forever View Post
I suspect the lawsuits are being filed as this is being typed.
I suspect there are strong waivers that everyone signed that binds their respective heirs and successors too. However, who knows.
Old 02-15-2017, 07:20 AM
F1 Rookie
Rossa Subscribed

Full Name: Jeff
My Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by MVDESQ View Post
I suspect there are strong waivers that everyone signed that binds their respective heirs and successors too. However, who knows.
I've done several driving experiences, and they all have lengthy waivers of liability. I recall the Richard Petty Driving Experience was the most detailed - that was a 2 page document with 24 places for a signature or initials. In that one, you drive restricted stock cars, without a co-pilot, with your speed modulated by an instructor in a car ahead who speeds up or slows down based on what he sees in his rearview. I wound up maintaining an average 144mph around Charlotte Motor Speedway - that was the AVERAGE, no idea what the top speed was on the straightaways.

The article from the Las Vegas paper in the Lambo accident stated the driver was in his 30's and the instructor in his late 50's.
Old 02-15-2017, 08:31 AM
Formula 3
Silver Subscribed

Full Name: John
See Lambo thread. Just announced: Recalling over 5,900 cars for fires.
Old 02-15-2017, 01:24 PM
Formula Junior
Not Subscribed

The articles say that both died on impact. If true, the end result would have been as tragic even if the car never caught on fire. Is anybody here familiar with the track? Would a hans + a roll cage have saved them?
Old 02-15-2017, 04:27 PM
F1 Veteran
Rossa Subscribed

Quote:
Originally Posted by desmomini View Post
I've done several driving experiences, and they all have lengthy waivers of liability. I recall the Richard Petty Driving Experience was the most detailed - that was a 2 page document with 24 places for a signature or initials. In that one, you drive restricted stock cars, without a co-pilot, with your speed modulated by an instructor in a car ahead who speeds up or slows down based on what he sees in his rearview. I wound up maintaining an average 144mph around Charlotte Motor Speedway - that was the AVERAGE, no idea what the top speed was on the straightaways.

The article from the Las Vegas paper in the Lambo accident stated the driver was in his 30's and the instructor in his late 50's.
That's awesome. I was surprised how small Charlotte gets at speed.
Old 02-15-2017, 09:04 PM
Four Time F1 World Champ
Rossa Subscribed

This story is getting bigger. The government is involved now because it may have something to do with the Lambo recall and that the instructor was an employee.

Once the government is involved and multiple lawsuits, you don't know where this is going to go.

Apparently it was a just acquired Aventador.

Questions surround recently acquired Lamborghini in deadly SpeedVegas crash | Las Vegas Review-Journal
Old 02-15-2017, 10:05 PM
F1 Rookie
Silver Subscribed

...it used to be that you had to be a REAL racer to get on a road course.

School, laps, tech inspection, fuel cells, safety gear, etc.

This whole racer wannabe stuff brings with it this kind of stuff...

Street cars are for the street.
Old 02-15-2017, 10:08 PM
F1 Rookie
Silver Subscribed

Full Name: Michael
Very sad news, incomprehensible losses. Those two gentlemen should not have died. Something is not right and it's not the Lambo I am alluding to. I'm wondering about the track being touted the "longest and fastest racetrack in Las Vegas".

Should these novice track experiences be offered to inexperienced track drivers on such potentially lethal courses? IMO, the longer and faster a course is, the more difficult it would be for novices to learn and the more likely novices are to exceed prudent speeds. IMO, they should be having novices track experiences on shorter, more twisty courses where speeds would naturally be held down and potential shunts be "less costly" in every way. Perhaps it sounds counter intuitive but I think more and tighter corners, shorter straights would be ultimately safer... and probably more instructive.
Old 02-15-2017, 11:07 PM
Formula 3
Not Subscribed

More people probably die on their way to the track to watch races than the people in them. Bad things can happen, and driving on a track is no exception.
Old 02-16-2017, 11:07 AM
Four Time F1 World Champ
Rossa Subscribed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ky1e View Post
More people probably die on their way to the track to watch races than the people in them. Bad things can happen, and driving on a track is no exception.

The problem comes when you market something as "safe" when it obviously can become "unsafe".

I have not driven on this track but the other one (Exotics Racing) is a smaller track with more twists and if I remember -- no walls-- just desert run off. Of course you can still flip a car but crashing into a wall at 150 MPH will certainly ruin your day.

I am questioning the state of the prep of the car (Exotics Racing does modify the cars before they hit the track) and the design of this track. Something like this has never happened at the other 2 track events in Vegas and they've been running for over 10 years.

It's bad for these two unfortunate people but also bad in general for all enthusiasts.