spec miata... thrilling or no? | FerrariChat

spec miata... thrilling or no?

Discussion in 'Tracking & Driver Education' started by bpu699, Jul 14, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. bpu699

bpu699 F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Dec 9, 2003
    wisconsin/chicago
    Full Name:
    bo
    Currently track my 87 930... its fun. Would hate to crash it. Recently blew the trans (I think), and looking at a possibly sizable bill...

Was thinking about get a used spec Miata, see these things go for $15k or so. I figure parts have to be dirt cheap...

My wife pretty much thinks I will be bored silly with a 150hp car in about a week.

Was also looking at used spec Boxsters or track prepped 996's in the $30k range. But again, parts will be $$$

Don't plan to race really, just some HPDE events with PCA and SCCA, maybe some time trials. So, for a good part of the time I would be on the track with cars with a lot more HP. At every HPDE you always see some guy in the instructor group ringing out a Miata... but its usually one guy, with a bunch of cars whizzing by him on the straight.

I am sure I would love to get a track prepped boxster/996...but again, motors run $20k and trans is about $7000.

From what I gather, Miata motors can be rebuilt for $1500 or less. My boys get their drivers liscence this year. Would be a hoot to have then get into this...

So, thoughts?

Miata, or not?

2. Texas Forever

Texas Forever Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    Go for it and start racing SM. You'll find out in a hurry how good of a driver you are, or are not. :)

3. GuyIncognito

GuyIncognito Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
    this.

as a track day toy after higher powered cars you'll be underwhelmed.

as a race car in a competitive field you'll find automotive heroin.

4. Texas Forever

Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    Love it!

5. bpu699

bpu699 F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Dec 9, 2003
    wisconsin/chicago
    Full Name:
    bo
    What kind of financial upkeep do these things need?

I can only assume tires/brakes/clutches are pennies... You need a trailer though...

I have seen these things for sale from $15k to 30k...

For someone just putzing and looking for a weekend relief from a monotonous week, any point in paying for a "nice" spec Miata?

Not looking to win races as I would be lucky to drive it 7-10x a year...

Just want a cheap track car...

Any thoughts on spec Miata vs track prepped 944? Both about the same cost...

6. mclaudio

mclaudio Formula 3

Dec 13, 2003
    Seattle area
    Full Name:
    Claudio
    W2W racing - Thumbs up on Spec Miata and Spec 944.

DEs - You'll be passed on the straights only to be frustrated when high hp cars are parked in the turns.

IMO, W2W racing is so much more fun than DEs.

7. bpu699

bpu699 F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Dec 9, 2003
    wisconsin/chicago
    Full Name:
    bo
    What the commitment you need to do W2W? I suspect its not like you just show up on a moments notice and participate... Also, the moment you mention racing, $$$ signs flash before my eyes...

May have to look into it... time is the restricting factor...

8. Texas Forever

Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!

To run up front, you need a $30k cheater car. But you can have as much fun mid pack with a $15k - $20k car. Just make sure it has a full roll cage and 6 point harness. Craig's List and eBay are great places to find cars.

But there's no way I'd race a Porsche v SM. Porsche parts are a LOT more expensive. Remember, Mazda made over a million Miatas.

To get started, just go to a race and ask around. There's probably a race near you this or next weekend.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

9. Drew Altemara

Drew Altemara Formula 3

Feb 11, 2002
    Tuscaloosa, AL
    Full Name:
    Drew Altemara
    What do you guys think about some of the arrive and drive programs some of the companies offer for spec Mazda if you are only going to do a couple of races each year?

10. boxerman

boxerman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2004
    FL
    Full Name:
    Sean
    If youre not racing and are doing DE events, which sounds to be the case then a spec miata on many tracks after a hp car can feel underwhelming.

For 25-30K you can buy a great lotus elise which will handle better than a maiata and steer as well but be a fair bit quicker. Adding a supercharger will make it quicker than your 930 up to 140 ish.

the lotus motors are toyota and if you happened to blow the entire motor a short block is 5k.

Alternatively the C5 Z06 vette can be had for 30k or less, these cars are unbeatable on track, but you need to be into sitting behind a long hood just in front of the rear wheels.

For many of us the answer is pretty much always lotus.

11. Texas Forever

Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    The Skippy MX program used to be great. Not sure now given the bankruptcy.

12. LBBP

LBBP Formula Junior

Another option for a fun track day car would be the Honda S2000. Better Hp, brakes and handling than the Miata. A solid example will run in teens to 25k.

13. fatbillybob

fatbillybob Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 10, 2002
    socal
    SPEC Corvette

The guys starting specVette are friends of mine from the old pre-2012 SCCA T1 racing days. Back then in SoCal we had a growing field of close rubbing SM type racing in cars with horsepower, speed, and cheap replacement parts. SCCA killed our class and drivers scattered to neighboring classes and venues like NASA. The principals of today's specVette are trying to get back to the close racing we had in T1.

SpecVettes can be built including car purchase for $20K!!!! We have 14 cars in SoCal right now in various states of build with our 1st racing towards the end of 2017. We have other drivers out of California who are considering builds and arrive and race events.

I am still racing SCCA T2 in a C5Z06 vette and it is still a gas and oil only cheap parts available platform. At 3500lbs and restrictor plate motor at the fastest track I can race Daytona I'm still 160mph on the straight! I expect specVette to be faster at 3200lbs and full power stock OEM motors. A new stock OEM Z06 motor can be built from all new parts for $5k. A rebuild can be done for much less. Conversions of LS1 motors to the LS6 spec is $3K with new heads and cam included. A junkyard fender is $150 bucks and you can often find it in your color.

Watch specVette over the next 6mos if you are not in a hurry. I suspect it will be a success and grow Eastward.

14. Texas Forever

Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!

Uh oh! Watch out! FBB is trying to unload his car again. I kid. I kid.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

15. fatbillybob

Consultant Owner

Aug 10, 2002
    socal
    Actually, I'm seriously considering a conversion of my T2 Vette to SpecVette and my new racecar is either going to be a 2018 mustangGT to run in T2 or a 2018 Vette to run in T1 or GT2. The new racer will live in my friend's semi-transporter when we race out of California and the specVette will live in Cali. So...I'm going down an even slipperier slope.

16. bpu699

bpu699 F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Dec 9, 2003
    wisconsin/chicago
    Full Name:
    bo
    Good thoughts...

I kind of was leaning towards something on the cheap end...

I already have the 930 for the higher speeds...

If I start creeping into the $30,000 range than I would be looking at fully caged 996s, etc...

Would love an Elise. But good luck fixing that in a crash...

I run mostly pca.... Scca would be fun, the spec Miata would fit right in....

17. Texas Forever

Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    Well, I have dibs if you change your mind. :)

18. henryr

henryr Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 10, 2003
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Juan Sánchez Villa-L
    #18 henryr, Jul 14, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    i bought one several months ago....

i've done multiple track weekends in it.

three reasons (not in order ;) :

1) $$$$
    2) safety
    3) actually learn how to drive

i found that even in HPDE there are always a few SM out there to run with.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

19. sainthoo

sainthoo Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 20, 2007
    Full Name:
    Christian
    W2W- spec Miata, spec E30, spec3, etc.
    DE - look at a SRA Ariel Atom- if you want holly s**t factor and excitement with dirt cheap running cost (these things are faster than almost everything). The only draw back is open wheel, so have to find groups that allow open wheels (they can be fitted with fenders which helps for some groups).
    You can get a used one for probably $35K. One just sold on BAT for $40K.

20. henryr

Silver Subscribed

Nov 10, 2003
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Juan Sánchez Villa-L
    and open cockpit....

21. Texas Forever

Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    Nice!

A while back I talked to a SM guy and asked him how he liked the car. He said he hated it. He went on to say why would anybody race a car they liked. The point of racing is to destroy the car.

22. fatbillybob

Consultant Owner

Aug 10, 2002
    socal
    I never quite got the safety thing. I know these are fully caged etc. but they are really small and few drivers can wedge a containment seat in there and fit. I have seen some containment seats with the wing out the driver's window...not safe. Maybe because they go so slow (top speed 105mph) when they hit each other it is OK. These guys bang all the time and no one gets hurt. But in HPDE you got very fast 4000lbs vipers and 3500lb vettes you share a track with. So at nearly double the SM weight who wins? Safe? Not for this chicken.

Then as you age the body don't move so good. One reason I am considering going from a vette to a Mustang is the giant mustang door opening and higher roofline. I need mroe room for my big ole body.

23. rob lay

rob lay Administrator
    Staff Member Admin Miami 2018 Owner

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    There are smart guys here.

If you want to DE, stick to the higher HP cars. Perfect lines and lap time don't matter. You are just there for fun.

If you want to race not much better than SM to start. You will be the best driver you can be because lines have to be perfect. Later if you step into high HP race car it will seem easy.

nathandarby67 likes this.
  24. blownfuse

blownfuse Karting

Jul 16, 2012
    Campbell, California
    Go crapcan racing. More fun than shooting fish in a barrel.

My first team put a car together from scratch for about $5000.

Wheel to wheel racing for an entire weekend, for under a grand. More seat time than you can handle. You won't be able to stop smiling for a good week.

And, yeah, talk about finding out who's a good driver? Watch some old fart in a Kia putting BMWs and Camaros to shame, that's priceless.

Going three-wide, rubbing door handles at 75 mph around the carousel at Sonoma... that makes my toes tingle. Even if I'm in a FWD 4-banger.

If you haven't done this yet, you're missing out.

Kaivball likes this.
  25. henryr

Silver Subscribed

Nov 10, 2003
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Juan Sánchez Villa-L
    me in a race car wearing a hans vs. a guy in a street car just wearing a helmet ? i'll take my odds.

in my nearly 20 yrs i dont think i have ever seen car on car contact during a DE but I also don't think I have ever been to RA when a car hasnt been balled up in a off track excursion.