cross country drive | FerrariChat

cross country drive

Discussion in 'Travel' started by LARRYH, Oct 23, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. LARRYH

LARRYH F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 3, 2011
    virginia usa
    I plan to drive across country I live in virginia and would like to drive to monterey for car week 2017.. I plan on making it a car oriented drive and will take one of my cars likely my F12. or perhaps a 911... In any case plan to end up in Monterey in time for car week. I would like to drive everyday some amount and want to make it as car oriented as possible stopping at any interesting car museums or events considering the time of year... I know it is way ahead of time but if anyone has any good ideas .. THis is something I have always wanted to do and i will be 63 so decided better do it while i can...
    THanks

2. Texas Forever

Texas Forever Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    Pull out map of US. Notice big, big gap of nothing between Ft. Smith Arkansas to say Santa Fe. That's a whole lot of nuthin.

Everything else is really cool. May I suggest you take Highway 50 across Utah and Nevada. It will change how you view the USA.

3. FamilyCar

FamilyCar Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 26, 2007
    Seattle, Wa
    Full Name:
    Peter Goodall
    The big question--how long are you willing to take? That will narrow down the suggestions a lot.

Does car oriented mean museums or good driving roads?

Sounds like the potential for a great experience.

4. LARRYH

LARRYH F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 3, 2011
    virginia usa
    Good question I am thinking maybe 7 days going out and less coming back.. and as far as car oriented I mean museums , great roads or events....I could take longer and ship the car one way...any input is great..including amount of time I should take. I have driven 1000 miles in one day but thinking short day then long day or skip a day what ever works

5. David Lind

David Lind Formula 3

Nov 19, 2008
    Full Name:
    David Lind
    Corvette plant & museum in Bowling Green, KY.
    Perhaps some of old Route 66 in Arizona.
    Dan Gurney's All American Racers "showroom" in Santa Ana, CA.

6. bbs911

bbs911 Formula Junior

May 31, 2007
    Dallas
    There are some really great driving roads in AR and CO that I've driven. PM me if you want suggestions.

7. LARRYH

LARRYH F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 3, 2011
    virginia usa
    Looks like if all works out I will have about a month for this experience . THis will include one week in Monterey maybe a northern route on the way out and southern route heading back or ?

8. FamilyCar

FamilyCar Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 26, 2007
    Seattle, Wa
    Full Name:
    Peter Goodall
    Now you've got enough time to do a lot but not everything. Makes it tough to decide. From a car standpoint I can think of the National Auto Museum (Ex Harrahs) in Reno, and the Blackhawk Museum Danville, CA. I haven't been to the one in Reno, but driving around there can be very pretty and you can go over Donner Pass. I think Blackhawk has special shows, but I liked it the time I saw it.

If you haven't been in Utah, I'd go out of my way to see some of that county. My recommendation would be to go to the Gran Canyon via Flagstaff, swing around it to the east, then up through Kanab to Bryce then to Escalante and continue north on the Hog Back (Hwy 12). From there you could go back to LA via Vegas and north, or continue north to Salt Lake then to Monterrey via Reno.

Really--too many choices. But it will be fun.

9. Texas Forever

Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    This is what works for me. YMMV.

1. I like to drive no more than 300 miles on any given day; unless, of course, I'm blazing across the great nothing in the middle.

2. I refuse to drive on Interstates. What's the point? Just drive around your local area, they all look the same.

3. I try to stay at B&Bs if possible. I hate hotels. I don't care how many stars they have.

4. I like to have a theme. I notice you're in Virginia. If if were me, I'd pick up US 50 in Annapolis and follow it all the way to Sacramento. If I'm not mistaken, US 50 was the first coast-to-coast highway. I know it follows the original Pony Express trail.

5. I like to start each day with breakfast at a local diner. Sit at the bar. It won't take long to get caught up on what's going down in town.

6. Screw GPS. If you see an interesting road, take it. What have you got to lose? I remember once driving out to the Quail in Monterey. I liked the road so much I just kept going and going and going. Didn't make it to the Quail that year.

Just remember, nobody said on their deathbed I wish I hadn't seen all those sunsets and eaten all that ice cream.

Enjoy.

10. David Lind

David Lind Formula 3

Nov 19, 2008
    Full Name:
    David Lind
    Fine philosophy from Texas!

11. Texas Forever

Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    Thanks. If you think I'm loosey–goosey, I used to travel with a guy who refused to use maps. :)

12. malcolmb

malcolmb Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Apr 17, 2002
    San diego
    Full Name:
    Malcolm Barksdale
    To kinda respond to the Texas advisor....I love driving around in the USA, even the wide open parts that bore Dale. This is best if done in an old Italian ****can, especially one that you wanted when you were young. Of course, many of you are young, so...
    I like to get on the road an hour or so before the sun comes up, drive the back roads not the Interstate. Stop for breakfast at anything that looks interesting, around 10:00am. get the map book out and plan the next 8 hours looking for roads and destinations that look interesting. If you are a planner you have done this in advance, either way works. Mid afternoon while fueling have an ice cream, this helps with the sugar fit and road ice cream is caloryless. drive until around dusk, stop at any motel. I prefer the hilton garden inns 'cause they have a bar if you are too tired to be inventive. Don't drive after dark, whats the point. Find a good steak. Repeat.
    There are hundreds of interesting things to see and do. think about those brave people who walked alongside the oxen pulling the wagon with everything they owned onboard. Stop in Oregon and look at the wagon tracks still in the dirt. swing by Alamagordo and think about what went on there. visit the museum East of Alamagordo. go to Trinity. You might see a rocket test in the white sands area.
    stop in Massila, eat at the Double Eagle. Sante Fe is a great stop, get up early to enjoy the early morning clear sunlight. drive I-80 through the mountains. The Grand Canyon is required. Utah has great scenery. Every town nowadays has some kind of interesting food. look at the small towns now almost deserted, those people are hurting. count your blessings. You could entertain yourself for a summer doing this. Go South to Marfa and Big Bend and Teralinga. Go North to Montana, drive the Going to the Sun Road, see Yellowstone. Try the road between Whitefish and go South along the River to ???? forgot the name. The locals call this the "better than sex" highway. Maybe. swing by Tucson, go to cars and coffee in PHX, drive through the Grover Cleveland National forest[rock garden] and slow down in San Diego, I will buy.

Malcolm

13. Texas Forever

Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    If you see me hitch hiking, will you please pick me up?

14. LBBP

LBBP Formula Junior

For a true driving experience take in the Tail of the Dragon at Deals Gap, 318 curves in 11 miles. Try to make this during the week as weekends can be busy with motorcycles and cars.

15. malcolmb

malcolmb Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Apr 17, 2002
    San diego
    Full Name:
    Malcolm Barksdale
    Yep, forgot Tail of the Dragon, good road. Also the Blue Ridge parkway, although the speed limit is really low, stay at Little switzerland. Go to the Smoky Mountains, stop in Tahlulla[sp] Falls where my Mother was born, used to spend summers there when I was a kid, take a photo of your car by the old railway station where my uncle Jim was the telegraph operator. Deliverance was filmed around this area so be carefull. Swing a little South and watch for Dale along the road, pick him up.
    Malcolm

16. Ricambi America

Ricambi America F1 World Champ
    Sponsor Owner

BRP is gorgeous for sure, but very dependent on the time of year and weather. Who cares that it has a low speed limit? Be there for the views and experience.... there is plenty of wide open pavement for the remaining 3000 miles of the cross-country drive. Tail of the Dragon is also great, but if your passenger has even the slightest tendency toward car-sickness, you might want to reconsider! It is an epic road that'll wear out your arms.

The SW section of North Carolina is divine: Brevard, Cashiers, Highlands, Toxaway, etc. Have fun and enjoy the roads -- but keep an eye out for cyclists in that area (especially ones wearing jerseys that read "Ricambi America").

17. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    There are great roads and sights all over the country, you need a focus of some nature of what you want to see along the way. Do old roadside diners appeal to you? How about museums? Car museums? Battle grounds? Ghost towns? There are many resources on the net to help plan a trip once you know what kinds of sights you want to see. Motorcycle oriented adventure riding web sites have a lot of good info and also advise quality of roads, fuel stops if you have limited range (Very important the further west you go). I know someone who built a coast to coast trip just on going from one old vintage diner to the other. Get a big map, and a computer and figure out the sights that are important then start drawing a line.

18. vincent355

vincent355 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 8, 2003
    Wine Country
    Full Name:
    Vincent
    I have done similar trips a number of times. 5 to be exact. 3 times in a ferrari.

Lot of good posts here: I would suggest picking a route that is either north, middle or southern figuring you'll do the other thirds some other time. I often chose some kind of theme, one more whimsical one was finding the best BLT for lunch, but had to be not on a major highway and in a local diner. Also, a big theme for me its/was stopping at national parks and ferry rides. Always fun to load a ferrari on a small ferry crossing.Or one year my dad and I did it together and tried to hit as many of the top public golf courses on our route (New Mexico is probably one of the best states for that) I usually stay at best westerns when I can, just convenient, clean, well lit and there are many of them in the smaller towns.

Once did about 6500 miles on a circuitous route and managed to only be on major highways for about 600 miles (mainly on the way home and because of weather).

If you take the time, you really can't go wrong. It will be a great adventure no matter what.

19. malcolmb

malcolmb Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Apr 17, 2002
    San diego
    Full Name:
    Malcolm Barksdale
    Quote from my co-worker: Remember when you are standing by the side of the road waiting for the flatbed you are still on holiday".
    Malcolm

20. vincent355

vincent355 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 8, 2003
    Wine Country
    Full Name:
    Vincent
    That is the truth. My first adventure had me replacing the alternator in my 355 in Duchesne Utah. Never made it to Colorado but the flatbed and hay truck ride were unforgettable. As was all the local help I received at the shop. We all made memories and friends on that trip. There used to be a thread with lots of pics....10 years or more now.

21. ryalex

ryalex Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 6, 2003
    Las Vegas, NV
    Full Name:
    Ryan Alexander
    #21 ryalex, Nov 12, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Denver to central Utah on the 70, then the 89 North to Provo, then the 84 through Midway/Heber City to Park City, then North to Mountain Green and Trapper's Loop to Huntsville, Utah. Back over to Odgen and see the great aviation museum at Hill AFB.

So many amazing vistas, mountain climbs, passes and canyons through Colorado and Utah.

Last page of this thread has my two road trips through Utah this summer:
    http://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/silver-subscribed-private-forum-sponsored-yellow-compass-group/515515-after-fifteen-years-four-months-i-can-finally-say-5.html
    Image Unavailable, Please Login