Cruise around South America | FerrariChat

Cruise around South America

Discussion in 'Travel' started by lopena, Mar 11, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. lopena

lopena Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 3, 2003
    My wife and I will be cruising around South America next year on Cunard's Queen Victoria...has anyone else done this?

Stops will include Rio, Montevideo, Buenos Aires, Valparaiso, Belize City and Kingston, Jamaica.

We've heard bad things about the crime rate in Brazil, especially in Rio. Anyone out there have real, on-the-ground experience or advice to share?

Many thanks,
    Alan
    New Jersey

2. JOEA2

JOEA2 Formula 3

Feb 2, 2006
    Staten Island, N.Y./ Sea Girt,N.J.
    Full Name:
    Joe A
    We've been to Rio. Like any major City, you will be fine if you stay in the major areas. Don't go exploring in the Favela's.

Joe

3. dstacy

dstacy F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 23, 2006
    GMT -5 & GMT +1
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Crime there is pretty bad. I'd be VERY careful. No cabs, car service only. No purses or bags ever. No walking anywhere after dark. During the day never in the locals area.

The last time I was in Rio I was walking out of the hotel to get into my car service that was taking me to dinner. The doorman ran out and grabbed me. He wouldn't let me leave the hotel wearing my watch or wedding ring. He was polite but VERY firm. There was no way I was leaving that hotel wearing a simple dress watch and wedding ring under his watch.
    What does that tell you?

4. montegoblue

montegoblue Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 7, 2009
    East TN
    Agree with above ; no jewelry, watches, rings. Never take a taxi especially "private" ones, car service only or Uber if you must. Don't talk to "helpful" locals either -- go with a purpose wherever you are going.
    Wish you were visiting my home country of Peru -- can't recommend it enough to all my friends :)
    FYI Buenos Aires is notorious for petty crime as well (especially downtown, Corrientes, etc), be very careful there (tell you from personal experience).
    After Rio and BsAs, Montevideo seems like a small town. It is a small city by comparison and much more laid back, safer.
    Have fun!

5. JOEA2

JOEA2 Formula 3

Feb 2, 2006
    Staten Island, N.Y./ Sea Girt,N.J.
    Full Name:
    Joe A
    "Wish you were visiting my home country of Peru -- can't recommend it enough to all my friends"
    When we went to Lima, a few years ago, they recommended that we not leave the Hotel. We didn't listen and were fine.

Joe

6. Flavio_C

Flavio_C Formula 3
    BANNED

Sep 7, 2012
    Insubria
    In Rio I would be very careful and plan ahead in detail your route. Not long ago an Italian was riding there and apparently got a wrong street and ended up in a favela. Local gang members misidentified his riding apparel with that of the police and shot him dead without asking a single word.

There are SO SO many beautiful places apart from Rio that you can go in Brazil without having to worry about safety...

7. bball16

bball16 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Dec 2, 2011
    NY LI FtL
    Full Name:
    Mike
    I'm doing one in January that starts in Santiago Chile and ends in Buenos Aries. So far getting biz class flights from NYC have been ridiculous, but I think I've got it. I've heard and understand all the warnings about being careful. I've been to Colombia and Ecuador so I have some experience in the area.