car rental rates. who has the best rates? | FerrariChat

car rental rates. who has the best rates?

Discussion in 'Travel' started by Edward 96GTS, Jun 10, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Edward 96GTS

Edward 96GTS F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    going hawaii soon. any websites have the best rates? expedia, travelocity, kayak etc?
    tia

2. BMW.SauberF1Team

BMW.SauberF1Team F1 World Champ

Dec 4, 2004
    I use kayak most of the time when it's last minute, but prior to that I usually book straight through Dollar. They've always been the cheapest for airport-based ones when I book early (they raise rates more than others if you're booking short notice). I also like them since they don't do car walkarounds and aren't sticklers for regular wear and tear other companies are. Parking lot dings and scratches are bound to happen.

3. kylec

kylec F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 9, 2005
    Orlando
    Costco is decent. '

4. Edward 96GTS

Edward 96GTS F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    costco had the best pricing.

5. BMW.SauberF1Team

BMW.SauberF1Team F1 World Champ

Dec 4, 2004
    Costco has the best pricing within the 4 brands they're partnered with. However, those 4 brands are among the most expensive when I compare to the others brands at the same airport. I'm comparing it for a trip I'm currently on in Phoenix as an example.

Dollar/Thrifty is still cheaper off Kayak than Costco and Dollar apparently deals with BJ Wholesale so that may be even less. BJ apparently also partners with Hertz and National as well. Costco and BJ both deal with Avis, Alamo, Budget, and Enterprise.

I'm a Costco member and had no idea BJ Wholesale had that many...

6. dstacy

dstacy F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 23, 2006
    GMT -5 & GMT +1
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Car rentals are a real racket now. Get this...USE THE APP on your phone, not the website. I always get a better deal from Hertz when I use the app. I mean waaaaayyyyy better (15-20%).

7. arizonaitalian

arizonaitalian F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 29, 2010
    Wyoming
    Shop on travelocity, kayak and similar.

Then buy on the actual company's website. That way you can use AAA or whatever web coupons/promotions you can find (usually advertised right on their website).

Pro tip: make sure the chosen company has "in terminal" service and not "remote/bus". Sometimes only a few companies are in the terminal and others one has to spend time getting to/from the rental lot. (and of course sometimes its one large all -encompassing rental facility). Anyways...just check so you know what you are getting and comparing apples to apples.

8. jimpo1

jimpo1 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 30, 2001
    Dallas, TX
    Full Name:
    Jim E
    If you're staying long term, vary your rental dates. My parents go for 5-6 weeks every year and we've discovered that they can do a 4 week rental then a 2 week rental for significantly less than a 6 week. We'll play with different times and dates, but we can always save them money. They drive in, drop the old car, get in the new car, drive away. Save a few hundred $.

9. FarmerDave

FarmerDave F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Jul 26, 2004
    Full Name:
    IgnoranteWest
    I have had exactly the same experience with Thrifty, which is the same company. I use the app, which is good but the text is not optimized for mobile so you have to squint.

But it works. I often wait until I land at a major airport and I'm usually able to get a great price from Thrifty using their app, and my reservation is finished and confirmed before the jetbridge has extended and the airplane door has opened.

10. stever

stever F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 18, 2006
    West. Wisconsin
    Full Name:
    Steve R
    It must work for you, but isn't avoiding the hassle/stress/time suck of returning to the airport a consideration?